Author Topic: Meta plot ideas?  (Read 4245 times)

Offline Watson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Meta plot ideas?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 03:00:26 PM »
Some very good ideas here. I agree that the meta plot should in a way be tied to the player characters, or what the players have shown interest in. But that also means that the meta plot can not really be created beforehand (i.e.before city creation).

One idea, as discussed, is to use the Themes and Threats, either directly or as a foundation for ideas. I do like the idea of City creation, creating campaign elements together, but I would like to keep the meta plot secret to the players.

I also think that having a meta plot is really necessary to tie the scenarios together and act as a sort of frame work to the campaign.

I think that throwing up a bunch of very generic (and rather short) meta plots would be useful.

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 10:03:32 PM »
Characters sometimes have their own meta plots. Stuff based entirely on things about a character that a player already knows don't necessarily make good meta plots for a campaign.

For generic meta plots, how generic would you like the list to be? Something like "insular group tries to game the system and take over" or would you prefer "less powerful mob boss uses misdirection and infighting to fuel power bid" and "minor power of faerie uses mortal group as cat's paws to upset Winter/Summer balance" both be on the list separately? Because in a lot of ways it's easy to make a meta plot by just throwing a bunch of groups in, adding an issue and mixing until it looks good.

If your group has lots of people who have read the novels (and presumably like them quite a bit like most of us do... we're here, right?) then why not just take existing plots and rearrange who the players are? Pick your favorite book. Do some rot13 style shuffling with the groups in the plot. The position the vampire courts held is now occupied by faeries. The stuff the White Council did is now done by the mob. The action will change and maybe even the core thing being fought over as you get new ideas on how this shifting of groups affects the balance of power around the issue, but it can give you some quick ideas.

Offline Watson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 09:47:22 AM »
I would think that a sentence or two is enough, if they are kept somewhat generic.

Taking the story from the books and shuffling them around is also a good idea, however, with meta plots, I am looking for something bigger than a single book/scenario, and more about something that would take several books/scenarios to unravel.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 02:52:14 PM »
First off, none of y'all are using the word metaplot correctly. Metaplot is the term used to describe a phenomenon in which time moves forward in the published books and stuff happens. This generally involves the use of signature characters. The most common metaplot phenomena I can think of are in WW games in the 90s and L5R.

What y'all are talking about is plotting a campaign. Not the same thing. Only confusion comes from trying to mix the terms together.

Anyway, to attempt to actually answer the question...

I come up with NPCs whose motivations come into conflict with those of the PCs. When I say conflict, I don't mean that they're a head on collision that can only end in death and destruction.

So if one of the PCs is set on using a one-use magical wonder to heal his son, an NPC might want to use it to heal her granddaughter. Neither has it. Neither has anything against the other person. Both would do anything to make sure their loved one gets better.

Now, combine these with Themes and Threats. Your Themes are your moment to moment things that can pop up at any time and are probably easy to change. Your Threat is probably tied to your big bad.

So, you have the NPCs (hopefully interesting and varied ones) that have motivations that conflict with the PCs. This is set in the backdrop of a Theme or two occasionally spitting out problems for everyone. A step behind that, and you've got some lingering evil, waiting to erupt.

In other words, I never create a rigid framework. No rigid framework will survive contact with the players. Instead, it creates a flexible pool of ideas, with moment to moment, story to story, and overarching suggestions for what might happen next.

You could even tie this into the milestone system to help pace yourself. PC-NPC type conflicts occur in a vacuum in an individual session, so they're associated with minor milestones. Then, once a session goes buy, tie in a Theme. Now you have the confusion of dealing with a Theme and one or more NPCs. Once that story resolves, you've reached a significant milestone. Let this happen once, then during the second time it happens, start dropping hints about the Threat, but don't bring it out. During, say, a third story, bring in the Threat instead of a Theme (or in addition to, if you feel like making life complicated). Let that be a good, hard story, and hand out a major milestone.

Offline Delmorian

• Posty McPostington
  • The Pants are BACK Baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 03:39:52 PM »
So far, for Meta-plots, I have:

In the heart of the Everglades, a city is hidden across the barier in the Nevernever. In this city is the Ponce De Leons fountain. Some of his men still reside there, with their fey servants and some Were-aligator slaves. The space they are in is not contiguious to the main Nevernever, and can only be reached in two locations. The Stone Circle found in Miami, and an old standing stone carved with aztec markings, in the hart of the swamp, 3/4 submerged in water. The time difference is such that any one inside can not safely leave without age effects, but if exiting through the miami circle, the traveler can control it. Now that the circle is discovered, and someone found the spell, the people trapped there can come out.
* Funny post quote that remains constantly relavant *

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 04:25:34 PM »
First off, none of y'all are using the word metaplot correctly. Metaplot is the term used to describe a phenomenon in which time moves forward in the published books and stuff happens. This generally involves the use of signature characters. The most common metaplot phenomena I can think of are in WW games in the 90s and L5R.

I agree - someone has an overarching plot for a game while metaplot is Jim releasing a new book or Evil Hat releasing more material.

Metaplot is outside the table's control.  It's the stuff that happens to the world while the PCs are doing their thing.

Sweeping, big plots can be fun but if you're making them up yourself they aren't metaplot.  That said, I can hardly wait to get my hands on the next installment of metaplot - which should be coming out soon.

Richard

Offline Delmorian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 01:49:09 PM »
Reading over the thread this time...
I realize my offering was both paltry and misplaced. So, metaplots...
My favorite GM at the moment has an amazing way of "generating" his metaplots. He peppers his descriptive exposition with... factoids? Information about what might be simple npc characters, unless we react and start chasing/interacting with them. Along with the "intended" plot offerings (oh look, there is a treasure map in the chest) and the big bad of the time (he cackles with glee as he is lifted out of the skylight on his helicopters winch hook) these "glints of gold in the gravel" (you rush into the occult book store, running straight into a blue haired man in a kilt. "Acht, whatch whit ye doo, ye frackeriua glundies"... such an encounter could lead us on a wild haggis hunt) With the keen observation he uses running our games, and a strong improvisational ability, he watches to see which of the array of plot bunnies he offers us that we chase. It requires a bit more on the GM's part, having his "set pieces" as well as the basics for plot bunnies, but after we start chasing one, he has the week to build the back drop and add meat to the body of the "idea". If you have such a GM, treasure him, bring him offerings of Mountain Dew and Cheetos, and be sure he gets a chance to PLAY from time to time... for such as he are more precious than gold.

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2011, 02:36:58 PM »
Two things that I think could help when added to city creation:

1.  Which (opposition) group will be so busy with it's own shenanigans that they will not appear in the campaign?

2.  At least one group is very unhappy with (city aspect) and they will be working aggressively to change it.  Which group?  What resources do they have?  What's their general strategy?
2a. Note that group unhappy with an aspect of the city may very well be the PCs! In that case, expect a large part of the game to be them trying to change the city aspect.

Offline tetrasodium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2011, 04:08:09 PM »
Reading over the thread this time...
I realize my offering was both paltry and misplaced. So, metaplots...
My favorite GM at the moment has an amazing way of "generating" his metaplots. He peppers his descriptive exposition with... factoids? Information about what might be simple npc characters, unless we react and start chasing/interacting with them. Along with the "intended" plot offerings (oh look, there is a treasure map in the chest) and the big bad of the time (he cackles with glee as he is lifted out of the skylight on his helicopters winch hook) these "glints of gold in the gravel" (you rush into the occult book store, running straight into a blue haired man in a kilt. "Acht, whatch whit ye doo, ye frackeriua glundies"... such an encounter could lead us on a wild haggis hunt) With the keen observation he uses running our games, and a strong improvisational ability, he watches to see which of the array of plot bunnies he offers us that we chase. It requires a bit more on the GM's part, having his "set pieces" as well as the basics for plot bunnies, but after we start chasing one, he has the week to build the back drop and add meat to the body of the "idea". If you have such a GM, treasure him, bring him offerings of Mountain Dew and Cheetos, and be sure he gets a chance to PLAY from time to time... for such as he are more precious than gold.
I do something similar generally and let them follow what they please.  One of the things that is really drawing me to dfrpg is hat it makes it a lot easier to do some of the gap filling n the fly.  pretty much it's just a matter of preparing some generic bits and enough gap filling to color in the details for that generic skeleton.  If you did it right, the skeleton start is enough to let you ake more before next game.  As long as you always have a skeleton or three around, you can just make up anything and everything that strikes your fancy as long as you think you can fill in enough details and/or red herrings dresden had no idea
(click to show/hide)
's problem was related tp the big one he was working on.  If it turned out that it was just some of marcone's competition grabbing a new girl, ten maybe it goes nowhere ad you spend the session laying a plan/trap and/or getting her back from that formerly generic well guarded mansion... or maybe the competition is the whole metaplot you had n mind and the girl just happened to be the bait they took to it.  If it turns out that you couldn't think of how to tie it to your metaplots then hey... at least you have a pair of already known npc's that you can use later wen the players want to infiltrate te world of high fashion (or whatever).. In fact maybe you think up something involving that world before next session and it looks like you had it all planned out perfect

You lso have to make sure something happens as the result of too many ignored metaplot skeletons or it looks like it doesn't matter what they do.  If they ignored F
(click to show/hide)
's problem and it was nothing... maybe they are less willing to help the players later or actively work against them in the world of high fashion when the players try to infiltrate it...  If they ignore winter's business entirely for
(click to show/hide)
... well... that's bad if it turns out it's unrelated
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 04:25:06 PM by tetrasodium »

Offline Delmorian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 01:18:39 PM »
However...
Having stated what my REAL answer was (in second post, three up ^^^^)
Another standing metaplot I have yet to enact is, South Florida. It is a giant magnet, drawing the Snow Birds, (people of the ice and snow, northerners, displaced Norwegians, call it what you will) and draws them to live in the Sun and Sand, where bones don't ache and it doesn't snow. I don't know about you, but I hear a summer plot, to weaken Winter by drawing away its longest standing constituents. This is being resisted by the radio show "A Prarie Home Companion" which is a Winter Court plot, to keep people happy in their ice bound Minnesota lives.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2011, 03:40:51 PM »
Had a plot I never got to use:  Shadowy group bent on the revival of the dragons for the glory of the Dragons.  To be fair, it worked best with that particular table, which had a charcter that didnt know his father was actually St. George the Dragonslayer, who had been roaming the earth for centuries to stand vigilent against that very thing.  But then his son had to go and accidentally break the seal that was holding some dragon souls in limbo, preventing their return; only the blood of George could draw his sword, Ascalon (from the st george legends), and release them.  Some of that energy went into him, making him essentially a Were-Dragon; while the rest when out into the world, upsetting all manner of balances and things

It gives all kinds of story fodder, from souls latching onto other mortals (or non-mortals) and changing them as well, to horde raids, to saints and angels and churches and the secrets behind why they were wiped out and sealed in the first place. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain