Author Topic: But as a [insert thing here] I should be able to do [insert activity here]  (Read 3548 times)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Eh? This argument just... seems weird. I mean, is he arguing that he should get to skip rolls or ignore their results because it's appropriate for his supernatural type?

That was the attitude as I perceived it.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Taer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
That was the attitude as I perceived it.

Just Say No. :-)

Cite a few examples. By the same token, someone with a Wizardly concept should be able to sling heart exploding curses, since if Victor Sells could do it, he, as a full-blown Wizard, most certainly can. Someone with a Marcone-esque concept clearly doesn't have to check his Resources to see if he can acquire Microsoft, it's obvious he's filthy rich - so he can, right? A RCI/WVC with a High Concept of "Friendly Neighborhood Vampire" clearly doesn't need to check if he can resist Hunger, of course he can! He's friendly!

No, you don't get to do that without the rules or a roll(unless it's uninteresting background that doesn't need to be rolled). This is precisely why rules for an RPG exist in the first place. So that you can have an objective standard of what each character is capable of and so that you can have meaningful interactions with the 'virtual environment' created by the GM. If this is gone, then games devolve into something similar to a child's game "I shot you!" "Nuh uh" "Yes I did, you're dead!" "No, you didn't!".

Or, in other words, there's a reason there's a "G" in "RPG". That's the Game part. Game means there are rules. Of course, there are situations in which you can't easily apply those rules, in which you have to apply GM Fiat(or make up a rule) to resolve a situation, but this is clearly not one of them.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 10:14:30 PM by Taer »
v1.2 YR:3 BK++ RP++ JB TH++ WG CL++ BC++ MC--- SH[Mab+++++ Lara++ Molly++ Murphy++]

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
I agree with Taer.

This is exactly what the aspect rules are for.

It's possible that your player is used to always having an aspect that can be invoked for +2. The books seem to be written under the assumption that an invokable aspect is at least semi-special and that players will sometimes end up spending FP for +1 bonuses. But many people (including me) let players invoke aspects that are only loosely related. This can cause the sort of attitude problem that we have here, where players see no value in an appropriate aspect.

You can probably solve this by being a real hardass about what can be invoked. Probably. I can't be sure because I've never tried it.

I don't intend to, either. If a player is satisfied by the connection between the aspect and the task, then I can accept it.

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Realities PBW restart
Taking the "enough rope to hang themselves" approach I think i'd go for the "well if you are sure.... Yes you easily slip into your were bandicoot form and bound up the side of the fence. As you sit on the top deciding the best route down, a glint catches your eye and you see a security camera focused exactly on the spot where you transformed... And your next step is...?"

There by setting up next weeks mission of 'retrieve the security tapes from the vault of //local news station, Police,FBI, Spanish inquestion,where ever// before the shit hit the fan'.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 07:58:41 AM by Team8Mum »
I would HATE to be a character in one of the stories I write -
and then there are the days when it looks too much like I AM!

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
One comment about those advocating a strict success or failure approach - the world is seldom so black and white.  Do you want the game to draw such hard lines? 

I'm sure some do.  I prefer a grayer game.  Not every challenge will be framed as succeed or fail and not every success will be without consequences.  Take the case of that fence...what happens in the failure scenario?  Does he simply pick himself up off the ground and give it another go?  Throwing yourself repeatedly at an obstacle until you finally succeed bores me.  Success with complications is more interesting to me. 

Complications could be anything from delay which gives a fleeing perp a better chance of escaping, to ripping shirt & skin on the razor wire - leaving evidence behind, to pain and adrenaline forcing a shapechanger to change at a potentially inappropriate time...or something else entirely.  Depending on the situation I might describe it as an aspect or might not.  Call it a GM declaration which nets those extra shifts needed...at a cost.

Obviously it's not the way everyone plays.  But it's also not "ignoring rolls".  Sometimes using the rolls to decide "how" creates a story better than "what".
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Watson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
If the player insist on not rolling the dice, an Invoke for effect on his High Concept should let him get over the fence without a roll.