Author Topic: Holy Hell in a Newbie Handbasket! (Newbie GM needing some help)  (Read 2150 times)

Offline Shikageru

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Haha, yeah.....Okay, this is going to be pretty sad, but...here goes:

I'm a newbie GM about to be stepping full-force into running a Dresden Files RPG game. I've got 5 players currently and I think I did a moderately good job helping them roll up characters, but I feel....extremely under-prepared. This is both my first time being involved in a Fate game and first time ever in terms of hosting/GMing a game.

I've got a basic plot, starting things off in Baltimore, utilizing the Nevermore Caffein-o-mancer Kidnapping scenario along with a still somewhat loose-fitting glove of a plot that expands from that relating to my own postures on the Jade Court, the Circle, and a few other incidents.

Sadly, I'm on a massive time crunch. I know you guys are awesome and help people out all the time, but I could use a massive crash course/assist here. If I can confirm I know what I'm doing enough to get through the first actual game.....tomorrow night....then I have a two-week reprieve to work out bigger plot details, but I am....for lack of a better term, up a creek in the Never Never without a paddle.

I'm open to suggestions, since this game somewhat determines whether this will continue being played at the shop I frequent...Had work not had me so wrapped up, I'd of been here earlier asking for wisdom and such....

Thanks,

Shikageru

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Hell in a Newbie Handbasket! (Newbie GM needing some help)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 01:59:42 AM »
I'm a newbie GM about to be stepping full-force into running a Dresden Files RPG game. I've got 5 players currently and I think I did a moderately good job helping them roll up characters, but I feel....extremely under-prepared. This is both my first time being involved in a Fate game and first time ever in terms of hosting/GMing a game.
Welcome!  Looks like you've already done city and character creation so...

I've got a basic plot, starting things off in Baltimore, utilizing the Nevermore Caffein-o-mancer Kidnapping scenario along with a still somewhat loose-fitting glove of a plot that expands from that relating to my own postures on the Jade Court, the Circle, and a few other incidents.
Skim over your PCs' aspects...look for those you can tie to your plot and highlight them.  They're likely methods of involving your players. 

Sadly, I'm on a massive time crunch. I know you guys are awesome and help people out all the time, but I could use a massive crash course/assist here. If I can confirm I know what I'm doing enough to get through the first actual game.....tomorrow night....then I have a two-week reprieve to work out bigger plot details, but I am....for lack of a better term, up a creek in the Never Never without a paddle.

I'm open to suggestions, since this game somewhat determines whether this will continue being played at the shop I frequent...Had work not had me so wrapped up, I'd of been here earlier asking for wisdom and such....
Know the aspects (PC, NPC, city, and scene) and keep a list handy.  Compels are how you give players fate points and how you create interesting / fun situations and issues.  Don't use them to drain players' fate points in resisting or to force players down a predetermined road. 

If all else fails, have something ready to create a 'situation' (whether attack, argument, or debate doesn't really matter...just have something ready).  Do leave lots of hooks / clues...even if you don't know what they're leading to yet.  Utilize the city's themes and threats if you don't have a specific face in mind. 

Do you have any specific questions?
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Shikageru

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 02:29:28 AM »
Well, sort of. I did Char. Creation.....City Creation is less....done...and more "Nevermore Revamped"?

I have three sessions, potentially two, to make this game stick. It's.....kind of insane. I'm honestly close to calling it and accepting I'm so far In Over My Head with this thing...

Regarding my PC's aspects, I feel like....as a GM, I failed them. I tried working with them all as much as I could, and several of them are still toying with ideas, but the Aspects were the hardest things for them to work up. I'd say maybe 2 out of the 7 are Fuego, if you will, and maybe a few hot ones, and the rest are.....lukewarm.

I've actually been toying with those aspects I've been given plus their backstories and tying them further into my plot. The issue is that I'm running Nevermore's Caffeine-o-mancer Kidnapping scenario as a 'Hook' to get their characters intertwined somewhat moreso, with the end of it hopefully leading to the REAL plotline I've been working on. I guess I jumped the gun and started in on the big picture rather than books 1 and 2, if you follow. :p

As for questions, combat and most of the other on-the-fly rules really have my head hazy. I mean, I think that I understand about the stress tracks and consequences, but I honestly don't fully get the rest of combat. Blocks? You've lost me. Temporary Aspects given by the attacker to the target? Not sure I fully follow.

In terms of plot, like I said, I'm going with the one from the book to start them off, though I've got a few surprises added for how I see things will end up going.

I know I was supposed to actually incorporate them into the storyline and city creation (more), but they all wanted to have unique characters and I needed to still work with a basic 'A dwarf walks into a bar you are all in drinking on a Saturday night and slams his fist down on the bar shouting, "HEY YOU ADVENTURERS, COME AND DO PLOT-Y THINGS WITH ME!!!!"....' sort of scenario.

For one, I'm planning on having the events of Changes occur mid-way/end of the events of this first scenario, leaving issues with Damocles Ravenborn and his ilk, but I've actually got that covered based on the plotline I'm intending to roll with after this scenario runs through.

Ideally, I see my overall campaign going like so:

I. Intro/Case of the Kidnapped Caffeine-o-Mancer
II. Super Secret Ninja Vampire Assassins Strike / Intro to main plot / Retelling of the Legend of the 13 Artifacts of True Magic (Name pending changes)
III. Artifact Hunt I + Other tales (should lead to gathering 3-6 of the items, depending on how things go, plus cameos for a few Dresden characters and a few mini-adventures and inter-group dynamics issues/fights)
More later....

I've got this thing planned out....but I've got mostly the late game. The early game has me stumped.

>.>

Also, I suppose I should note things about myself and my gamers:
I myself have only gamed in 3 or 4 D&D campaigns, 2 WW (1 Vampire, 1 Hunter), and 2 Firefly campaigns, along with a long series of messageboard RPGs online for years and years.

My players come from varying amounts of gaming as well, with the least having 2 games under his belt (1 D&D, 1 random space RPG, neither lasted long, but enjoyed them both), the next being more of a fellow Messageboard gamer (except for the second Firefly game I was in, which he also participated in), and the other three have an unknown amount other than "heckuva lot"

<.<'''

Okay, ranting done for the moment. :p

Offline Khalis231

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 03:10:04 AM »
Sounds like you're feeling pretty overwhelmed. GMing for the first time is hard enough, especially with a system you don't have any experience with. However, I think you can breathe easy for the moment, because you're starting in a good place with a published adventure and enough material for one session at least, and that's all you really need. Here's my advice:

- My number one suggestion if you're starting out is to do a test run before you begin your game. Run a one-shot or a short mini-campaign to familiarize yourself and your players with the rules. It sounds like you're already committed to starting with Neutral Grounds, so this can serve as your dry run for playing the "real" campaign. Honestly, I'd suggest making the first adventure entirely separate from your main campaign, so both you and the players can fumble around with the system without feeling like you're screwing things up for down the road. It's hard enough to GM without putting the pressure of "this needs to make sense with later plot" on yourself. Even if your players use the same characters they're using for the main campaign, having that first adventure be 'off the record' or 'non-canon' gives everyone a no-risk environment to explore their characters and the system.

- My second suggestion would be to prepare just what you need for the first session (whether or not you decide to use it as a test run), and let that session guide you forward. One of the beautiful things about the DFRPG is how easily all parts of it can change to fit your campaign and PCs. Sounds like you've got some cool ideas for epic plot later on (Vampire Ninja Assassins sound quite promising), but I would definitely hold off on introducing your big plotline until you and your players have your Feet in the Water, so to speak. Try using small-scale player- and NPC-driven conflicts to start off, then introduce the main plot once your players have felt their characters out.

- With regard to aspects, don't worry too much about how they are now. Once again, if it's everyone's first time around with the DFRPG, don't expect every aspect to be pants-rendingly gorgeous. You can use the flexibility of the system to your advantage here - aspects can change quite often (at a minor milestone, usually after every session), and the book actually suggests (I think) letting people change aspects and skills mid-session during the first session, as they begin to get a feel for their characters. So if/when something comes up and somebody gets or gives a good idea for an aspect, let the player change it immediately. Be on the lookout for aspects that can be both positive and negative, those are the best kind. If somebody cracks an in-character joke or one-liner that strikes you as characterful, suggest that the one-liner become an aspect. And as GM, pay the most attention via compels to the character aspects that really sizzle for you, and don't worry too much about engaging with the ones that seem to fall flat. The positive reinforcement you give to the good aspects will help teach the players what a good aspect entails, and will motivate them to change those bland aspects to more evocative ones as they (like you) learn the ropes.

That's all my non-mechanics advice, there are plenty of more experienced posters here who can explain the nuts and bolts of blocks, maneuvers and other such things much better than I

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 03:24:01 AM »
As for questions, combat and most of the other on-the-fly rules really have my head hazy. I mean, I think that I understand about the stress tracks and consequences, but I honestly don't fully get the rest of combat. Blocks? You've lost me. Temporary Aspects given by the attacker to the target? Not sure I fully follow.
Perhaps this will help - something I threw together to cover evocation spells...the action types, attack / block / maneuver are applicable to just about any encounter and skill (with situational modifications).

Quote from: UmbraLux
...evocation spells, which it looks like you're concentrating on below, come in 3 (+1) types.  The "+1" is counterspells which I'll ignore - never seen 'em used in play anyway.

Attributes common to all three types:
 - Spell "Power" - this is a number you choose.  It costs one Mental Stress for Power ratings up to your Conviction.  Going past conviction requires refinements, taking additional stress, or taking consequences.  This was directed at a character with Fair Conviction and a strength refinement in Air.  So I'll use +3 power in examples.
 - Two or more targets - divide spell Power among the targets.
 - Area affects - costs 2 per zone.
 - Affect allies in the same zone - costs 2.
 - Additional mental stress or consequences may be taken to increase Power.

1) Attacks
- Intent is to cause damage.  Target can be a single entity, multiple entities, or an area.  It does cost more to target more than a single entity.

For a single target attack at Weapon 3, you need to roll Discipline and beat your opponent's defense roll.  If successful, your victim takes stress equal to 3+ the number you beat the defense roll by.  So if you roll a +1 on the dice and add your Discipline for a +5 total while the dodging lamia gets a +3 on her Athletics roll, the lamia would take 5 Physical Stress.  That's enough for most to take a consequence in order to remain functional.

Trappings (what the spell is / looks like) can be anything air related.  A lance of solid air, heat lightning, choking from air forced into the throat, buffeting from a wall of air, a whirlwind picking up rocks and other objects, etc.

2) Blocks
- Intent is to prevent one or more action types.  Target could be yourself or an ally (used defensively) or an opponent (used offensively).  Actions blocked are typically one or more of the following when used defensively:  types of perception (Veils) and damage (Blocks / Armor).  When used offensively it can be a single target 'grapple' blocking almost everything or a broader area affect blocking one action type, such as movement.

For a single target defensive block at Power 3, you roll your Discipline and must get at least a 2 (because of your Refinement).  If you roll exactly two, it lasts until the end of your next turn.  Extra shifts can be put into duration, a four would get you two additional rounds.  Blocks and Veils are broken the first time they're pierced.  Armor is persistent through being pierced but is half the Power of a block with the same number of Power shifts.  Extending it to cover more people costs 2 shifts.

Trappings can things like blurring / heatwaves in the air for a veil, a wall of wind for a defensive block, etc.

3) Maneuvers
- Intent is to assist yourself, an ally, or hinder an opponent.  Assisting is generally more powerful simply because hindering is resisted by the opponent's roll.  However, if you can target an opponent's weakness hindering may be more powerful / easier.

These are the bread and butter of creating temporary aspects.  Knock an opponent Off Balance, blow dirt in his eyes to cause Temporary Blindness, etc - those are offensive maneuvers and need to beat the opponent's defense roll to succeed.  Creating scene aspects (Whirling Dustclouds or Gusty Winds) and assisting yourself or an ally (Wind's Speed, Hurricane's Strength, Lifted by Wind, Voice on the Wind, The Wind is My Eyes, etc) have to meet a target number set by the GM.  Usually 3 for a brief (one exchange) aspect and 4 for aspects lasting longer.

Trapping are usually described by the aspect for maneuvers.  Aspects such as Lifted by Wind are capable of assisting jumps or even very short duration levitation.  More complex and long term powers such as flight are far more difficult and usually outside of evocation's capabilities.

The first use of a maneuver created aspect is free.  That can net you a +2 to a roll or may be "invoked for effect" / compelled to get a story result.  For example, cast a spell to give yourself the Lifted by Winds aspect and "invoke for effect" to be lifted to the top of a three story building next to you.  Unless you sunk far more than 3 power into it, it won't be enough to get you to the top of the Empire State Building...but it can get you further than normal humans can jump.  Or it could be used to add +2 to a roll.
Needless to say, this is my interpretation.  Different groups will interpret some rules differently.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Shikageru

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 03:40:23 AM »
Oh whoa. New posts. Firstly, thank you all for current and any possible future help with this mess. I know I CAN do it, and I do want to. I do indeed feel overwhelmed, but that's not at all on DFRPG, rather, on my crazy existence as it currently has been.

Anyhoo, onto the good shiz.

Khalis, amazing advice and I shall take it to heart. I know if I can make it through tomorrow night's session, I'll feel a whole lot more confident. We play in a semi-public setting, and honestly, the three reasons I'm running this over any other joe shmoe in the store is because a.) I'm friggen nuts for Dresden. Stumbled on the books and read Dead Beat right after it came out and was all, "Huh, why do these people seem like they've been around bef-....Oh hell, it's a SERIES!" before returning to Storm Front. Anyhoo, and.... b.) I'm the only one that bothered stepping up to at least give this a shot, and c.) I need this. I'm not that shy, except in social situations with mixed company. Which then, I'm as awkward as Molly trying to....never mind.

Anyhoo, yeah, I suspect the current events to take 1, MAYBE 2 sessions, depending on how fast they move and how overly complex explaining combat and things like that gets for me as well as them. I'm planning for 1 session, with the expectation that I *might* be able to bring it into #2 and lead into things for the big plot. But I like and agree with your suggestion to make it 'non-canon', at least saying as such starting off to let them (as well as myself feel better).

UmbraLux, that combat explanation is amazing. I'm swiping that and ingraining it in my brain so I can explain it to them tomorrow. I literally have a "Shika's GM Guidebook/cheat sheet" Word doc in the making.

More comments always welcome, and I likely have more to say on this soon once I think on it more.

Offline Kaldra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 04:41:15 AM »
here is some general advice for gm'img:

first the lists ( i like lists )

first and last names. this list will be for any time you need a random name for your NPC's that crop up that you didnt expect to need.

descriptive things that can make people or places stand out or unique. this is mostly to add flavor when players ask for more detail in a place or about a person.

if you feel up for it plot hooks for either the larger picture or some side "quests", a good way to key players in on plot hooks and such is to use the same sort of descriptors or same flavor a few times.

second
A note book, or pad or some loose pieces of paper.
the primary use of this is for writing down A) all the random names/bits of flavor/plot hooks and what not that you use.
the secondary use will be for writing down things you want to follow up on, or build on. did one of the players or npc's say or do some thing funny? or funny? (the odd kind ) that you want take another look at or use later.

just some other tips for ya: even though your using a pregen adventure feel free to go with the flow if your players do something different or stray from the path if you feel up to it try and see where it goes it can lead to some fun times.

and one thing my drama teacher taught me, when improving dont say no, build on what your given. for example if a player asks is there a window on the alley side. instead of saying no or i dont know build on it, Yes though its higher up to see over the other house and seems to be _______. this gives you a chance to add things to the world and to make your players feel like they are apart of the world, it also makes you look like a prepared god if you do it right.

any areas you want some more help on?

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 05:06:23 AM »
I know this is going backwards a step and that you're already having issues with this, but one of the things I did when I started GMing DFRPG was to really go over the aspects with the players. Spend some time really hashing them out. I say this because while GMing it really helps to have two things. First a really through understanding of the players' view of their own aspects, specifically how they can be invoked and compelled. Knowing how the player wants to be compelled can really help you pull them into the story appropriately and keep them interested. Helps you to tell them how all of this stuff pertains to them. We used to work up our aspects like this to make sure the GM had all the info they need.

"Embraced by the Weirdness"
Invoke: As a bonus to lore rolls, for effect to have something weird (but good) happen, for effect to have a supernatural entity react favorably to me, as a bonus to social rolls vs supernatural things
Compel: Ala weirdness magnet but more gritty dark and dangerous, to invoke flashbacks of the character's terrible past,

Secondly it's very important to make sure that characters have both situation and story aspects (YS110 if you want to read up on them). The first DFRPG game I GMed there were seven characters and among them maybe five or six story aspects (a couple of which were on MY OWN character sheet, we switched off GMing). These characters had no connection to each other, the city, or anyone in it. No motivation to do anything, and no reason to even be there. It was really tough to run the way they suggest (using aspects to make connections, etc) and I wound up having to run it the way I would have run anything else (not necessarily bad, but I really love the way that works in DFRPG). If you have enough story aspects then the characters can suggest to you how things work, and pull the story forward all on their own. It get's a lot easier that way.

Anyway, hope that's helpful even though it's kinda a step backwards like I said earlier.

Offline Shikageru

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 05:56:32 AM »
Oh shweet, new replies!

Kaldra:

Lists, got it. First and last names of my NPCs. Check. I've got a number of NPCs I've been working on, but I really should sit down and flush out a few that are key to the characters since they tie into their stories. >.>' Work for tomorrow mornin' at this rate.

Descriptive things to make people/places stand out/be unique? Hmmm.....Well, damn. Don't suppose anyone has a list like such? XD If not, I'll start forming one slowly.

Plot Hooks, hmm....Well, since I really only have one or two of the five's 'full done bio's and whatnot, that'll be hard for this time, but for future games, this is DEFINITELY going on my list.

Regarding the note book for notes n such, that'll be my laptop. I'm going to be a jerk GM probably and not allow ANY other laptop or electronic device on the table besides mine so I know no one's distracted and such, as recommended by a fellow GM at said shop.

Plus, I'm a much faster typer than I am a writer, and my laptop will also act as a buffer between me and the players if I need it to settle them down with a quick, random dice roll of impending threats and doom. Also, I love the advice from your drama teacher and will try to keep that in mind. I've had to say no on Char. Creation a few times already in terms of 'Can I start with this or that', which I disliked doing, but it seemed like one of them was kind of trying to make a power-gamer kind of setup. Meh. Still, thanks so much.

Sinker: I hear ya, but. It's easier said than done. I mean, I'm trying, but I can only work with so much as a new GM myself entirely, y'know? I'm giving them ideas and working with them as well as letting them know they're able to change things. It's just.....One loves being a punk and using Memes and stolen names/ideas, but then again, don't we all? (Blargh: First name Cave, second name: I'll just say it begins with a J. Had I ever played that game, I would've known to veto that but ah well.)

The next is overly complicated to the point his stuff makes mine look simple. The next has no gumption or belief in his character's story, which worries me, but I'm trying to work with him on that. And the other ones....ugh. I just feel like...overall, I'm letting them down as a GM, practically. I want this whole thing to be fun for all and hopefully, perhaps invoke enough interest in them to keep playing, maybe to even pick up the books/watch the tv show/etc.

Oh yeah, of the 5 of them, two have read just storm front. Another is reading it now, thanks to my copy. Another hasn't read any but likes the genre. And the last has read MAYBE to Summer Knight? Whereas I'm DYING for GS to be released, right around my birthday too!

For all:
In terms of game mechanics, still feeling iffy on a few things, but overall, much better. Also... Situation's looking like this for the actual storyline: 
A.) Neutral Grounds - gather info, intro to game/etc, and first encounter: 2 zonked out thugs (They've got 5 people. I figure they can handle 'em.), interrogate, and flee scene without being caught by impending law enforcement arrival?
B.) Arrive at Eric McDummy's apartment, thinking he's the big bad, only to find him tied up and beaten to a bloody pulp with more minor enemies/thugs/thralls/baby RCI/RCVs of a little higher number/calibur present, with Eric shouting that Damocles has his girlfriend in the back and to ignore him and get to savin' the girl.
C.) The Chase: They travel to Fort McHenry, where Damocles secret lair supposedly is, and encounter park ranger Janet Walker. Might encounter a ghoul or Damocles rushing by/villain cackling from the tunnels/etc.
D.) The Chase, extended: They enter the tunnels and play cat n mouse with Damocles for a bit until they either wound him or he escapes, leading them all the way back towards Federal Hill Park, to 'his' lair.
E.) Climax: Either a fight will ensue with Damocles only to be interrupted by an NPC I may be sticking in to help them, leading to the real fight with Eric, or Damocles is gone or zonked out/etc and Eric is waiting, controlling both Damocles and/or the Caffeine-o-mancer herself along with a small pack of ghouls.

As I know players tend to surprise you, I've got room in there for changes that I expect and don't expect to occur, plus I am plotting out details for Scenario 2, which will start with a no-longer-RCI/RCV Damocles Ravenborn and/or some of his fellow RCI/minions toting a special object of power that takes them from zero to badass in a moment, linking into the BIG plot I've got. Oh, and there's to be the Super Secret Ninja Vampire Assassins in there at that point in the story as well. Fun times for all!

Thank you all so much for your help. It has immensely calmed my very soul to work with you all on this.

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 06:38:08 AM »
Curious. What Aspects did the players choose? In the first session, you're only going to need one or two per character that work for you. The rest can just sit there looking pretty for a bit.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 02:09:03 PM »
You said you were hazy on combat.  Is that still the case?  I run a PbP FATE game that uses the DFRPG system but that is not AT ALL set in the Dresden-verse... more like Venture Brothers or Evil Genius.  Anyway, the setting's not important.  I had to introduce my PbP group to FATE and I intertwined a lot of mechanics into my IC threads, coupled with hefty explanations in the OOC threads.  If they can be of help, I'll post them here:

Here's the intro thread and character creation.  Some of it's gonna be specific to our setting, but reading over the general explanations might be a useful perspective on the basic rules.
http://headonastick.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1013&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=22

Here's the opening IC thread:
http://headonastick.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1017

And here's the accompanying OOC:
http://headonastick.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1018

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 04:25:46 PM »
Perhaps looking at some sample conflicts would help you. I've got four, one by eberg and three by crusher_bob. Two of the crusher_bob ones are physical, the other is social. The eberg one is social.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,20530.0.html
http://dresden-sanfran.wikidot.com/sample-conflict
http://dresden-sanfran.wikidot.com/sample-magical-fight
http://dresden-sanfran.wikidot.com/sample-social-conflict

Richard_Chilton wrote an excellent overview of the setting, which some of your players might need.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,22372.msg966827.html#msg966827

Rick Neal's blog did a detailed overview of the magic system. I haven't read it, but I've heard it's good. Look here:

http://www.rickneal.ca/?p=628
http://www.rickneal.ca/?p=629
http://www.rickneal.ca/?p=632
http://www.rickneal.ca/?p=639
http://www.rickneal.ca/?p=642
http://www.rickneal.ca/?p=654

I feel pretty confident in my understanding of combat and the mechanical side of character creation. If you want a step-by-step walkthrough of either, I can help.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 04:08:35 AM »
How'd it go?