Author Topic: Anyone fight Harry yet?  (Read 2033 times)

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Anyone fight Harry yet?
« on: June 07, 2011, 12:55:39 AM »
Seeing as the Harry Character Sheet is available did anyone fight as Harry or fight against Harry?

Offline Viatos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone fight Harry yet?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 06:04:49 AM »
Yeah.

They had a faerie ninja, an outsider-spawn caster (pretty much the leader), an outsider-spawn social butterfly/Hulk, and a fertility goddess with a ton of refresh in Incite Emotion and custom upgrades. They had recently acquired enough information about Harry's outsider-bane prophecy thing to know they needed him on the home team, and they wanted Bob to deal with some tangentially related stuff.

So they took about five minutes of discussion to decide on a gank, which is, by the way, only 1/6th of the time they spent discussing how not to hurt/whether to mindbreak Molly (they ultimately didn't, trusting Harry to keep her under control). Planning it took most of the session, executing it took about another five minutes.

It was basically foolproof: a cascade of previous events had opened the way for the outsider crew to gain recognition and clout in Faerie, which they spent a good hour trading on (along with the ninja, whose parent drove a hard bargain requiring a sacrifice of Refresh in exchange for a MacGuffin Maeve really wanted) for the end result of a major favor owed them by the Leanansidhe. That favor was, of course, passage into Harry's apartment. The outsider-crew entered, subdued Mouse fairly handily, and the caster began a ritual to take over Harry's wards from the inside. They had just bought the apartment above Harry's, from which the ninja set up shop.

Meanwhile, Harry is at a social gala with the intention of stopping some majorly bad Denarians (mine, not quite Nicodemus/Tessa level) from getting a huge foothold in Chicago. There aren't actually any coin-bearers, but there is our lovely goddess of cuddles, who launches a hardcore Social assault that quickly breaks into Mental territory. Harry bugs out and the numerous allies he'd called to the party for the nonexistent Denarians start in on the goddess, but she's a smart cookie and resists their efforts to clear out the mortal collateral, creating an effective stalemate. Harry has taken two Consequences and his 3rd and 4th Mental Stress boxes are checked, so he's no shape for a fight, and heads for his safe haven.

Upon arriving, he enters a short contest against his own wards before he's dropped in one round by the ninja. The outsider crew rescue the goddess in grand fashion, sewing terror and chaos and the groundwork for a proper cult, and hightail it back to Harry before anyone can get things coordinated (at this point, I was barely coordinated myself).

Short, brutal Social conflict. With nowhere to go and badly injured, Harry accepts an Extreme Consequence - Servant of Shub-Niggurath (or close enough), handing over Bob and pledging himself to the party's campaign service.

No one but themselves and Winter know that Harry's just switched teams, likely for good, and they're probably going to declare war on Faerie sooner or later anyway. Harry's friends and allies (including the Blackstaff) will likely investigate, but Molly is already being indoctrinated and the troupe won't be sticking around Chicago now that they have what they came for.

They're not actually an evil group, they just took character creation in a really weird direction. Like Exalted Infernals, I guess, they've got this really transhuman thing going on. Anyway, I figured this is pretty close to how most of Harry's casefiles start anyway, so I'll give them a break while I think on how to keep things interesting and draw them back into Chicago.

Offline 13th~Nineteen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 06:19:03 AM »
Wow... I don't know whether to that really special or awesome so I'll call it specially awesome.

Offline Discipol

• Conversationalist
  • I use this for magical purposes. Honestly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 07:47:28 AM »
1) Why would you fight Harry?
2) What is Harry's power level? there are like over nine thousand books with different incarnations of him.
3) You realize that killing him, even non magically makes the Blackstaff come after you. And it hurts. Hard.
4) You realize that defeating him makes him come back PREPARED. And nothing is more scary than a prepared wizard. Sure he won't burn you to ash. But he has a gun, a working car, lots of friends and worse than that, he is a nice guy. Again why would you fight him?
Frank Power: Picture
High Concept: "Emissary of the Crystal Dragon, Crystalax", Trouble: "A debt I will never afford to pay."
Aspects: "Modern-day Gladiator.", "Authority p

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 08:01:15 AM »
2) What is Harry's power level? there are like over nine thousand books with different incarnations of him.
3) You realize that killing him, even non magically makes the Blackstaff come after you. And it hurts. Hard.
4) You realize that defeating him makes him come back PREPARED. And nothing is more scary than a prepared wizard. Sure he won't burn you to ash. But he has a gun, a working car, lots of friends and worse than that, he is a nice guy. Again why would you fight him?
1 and 2 work well together - Harry the Warlock and Harry the Denarian comes to mind readily. And in these cases, 3 doesn't apply and 4... well, let's hope it never comes to 4 and he isn't a nice guy anymore.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 11:42:12 AM »
How does Lea owing them a favor translate into her breaking her word and violating her previous agreement with Maggie sr?

Offline Arcane

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 12:58:36 PM »
There's always the classic "Marvel Misunderstanding" where two heroes encounter each other for the first time, think the other is a bad guy, and then fight until they realize they're both on the same side and team up to go after the real villain.
You Might Know Me As:

Charlie Wiseman

Jeffrey Campbell

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 01:39:12 PM »
Or you just use a Character with the same Stats as Harry and say "he's evil now" and go.

Its just fun is what it is.
So you make a Batman character and you make a Harry character and then in the sandbox of the game make them fight

Offline BobForPresident

• Posty McPostington
  • Everything lasts forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 04:18:03 PM »
Who's to say you're playin a good guy? Villains are infinitely more fun! Plus, Harry's made sixty-gajillion enemies on the good-guy side of things too. You could also play one of Morgan's apprentices or as one of Elaine's jilted lovers, bent on undoing Harry!

Huzzah the bad guys!!
"Do you not see how necessary a world of pains and troubles is to school an intelligence and make it a soul?" - Keats

Offline Viatos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 06:05:03 PM »
How does Lea owing them a favor translate into her breaking her word and violating her previous agreement with Maggie sr?

She didn't have to, much to her own chagrin. Like all faeries, she is very good at loopholes. She didn't open them a direct portal or anything, but she was able to have a forced conversation regarding the Catches of Harry's guardians and a lovely field of flowers she knew well.

She's pretty upset about it, and since it's been like seven sessions and I still haven't gotten a really good brainwave on bringing them back, I think she's the logical executor of consequence given the mobility Faerie allows her.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 08:02:34 PM »
I've never fought Harry. I wouldn't want to, either.

Here's why:

Protagonists (like Harry) have a certain amount of plot armour. The story bends to make them succeed, and to preserve their central tropes. Introducing Harry into a game means that you have to violate his plot armour. Which I wouldn't want to do.