Author Topic: Excalibur and Amoracchius  (Read 4094 times)

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
Re: Excalibur and Amoracchius
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 06:15:11 PM »
Dear readers.
People lie.
Fey lie (a lot).

The Fae don't lie, they always speak the truth.  What the listener hears and understands however, is not necessarily what the Fae says.

Pages get translated poorly.
People lie.
Libraries burn and librarians rewrite them from memory.
People lie.
People lie.
People lie.

From a historical standpoint, most of the copyists from the first several centuries, really from before the beginning of the Dark Ages until well into the Renaissance era, were illiterate.  The copyists would just reproduce the shapes of the letters on the scrolls and books that they were tasked to copy, they typically had little or no ability to read what was in front of them, never mind edit or make changes.  However, many of the stories with which we are familiar were part of oral traditions, and as such had most likely been first told centuries before they were ever written down.

Consider for instance, the Celtic/Druidic traditions which were passed along orally.  Or the Norse skalds.  The greatest bodies of writing detailing Norse legends, the Prose Edda and the Poetic Edda, was actually written in Iceland in the 13th century.  The Poetic Edda was really more a written collection of traditional poetry from earlier periods.  Keep in mind also that Iceland was first colonized late in the ninth century.  The closest equivalent to that would be for stories regarding the first settling of the New World, stories like that of the First Thanksgiving and Pochohantas to be past along as an oral tradition without being written down until 1965.
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5:

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 06:53:51 PM »
Weyland Smith (also known as Weyland the Smith) was supposedly (according to some legends) the one who made Excalibur, and several other swords used in Arthurian/Celtic legend.  (Also Prince Valiant's Singing Sword...)  Although some texts say seven, Weyland seemed to have been quite busy at his forge; several heroes and notables received magic swords.

There's no reason why Arthur couldn't have had two (or more) swords (he seemed to be a bit careless with them), with only one of them being Amoracchius.

Oh, and the scabbard (which was later stolen) supposedly protected the wielder from all matter of hurts and injuries.  Perhaps the scabbard got turned into a belt, but was still an IoP...  Didin't Thor have a magic belt, after all?  And its fate isn't known.

Myths, legends, and stories blend into one another over the ages.
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline Discipol

• Conversationalist
  • I use this for magical purposes. Honestly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 09:48:32 PM »
Untruth is still a lie wether you beat around the bush or flat out fabricate it. Its still a Deceit roll.
Frank Power: Picture
High Concept: "Emissary of the Crystal Dragon, Crystalax", Trouble: "A debt I will never afford to pay."
Aspects: "Modern-day Gladiator.", "Authority p

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 10:10:55 PM »
Anyone but me read the Vlad Talos books by Brust?

In one of them, Vlad (at this point he's a crime boss / assassin / friend of nobles) recounts how he was questioned under The Orb - note those capital letters.  The Orb is the "source" for all sorcerer in the empire, hovers around the Empress' head, can brain burn people in an instant (no save), and is a foolproof lie detector.
They ask: How did so-and-so die.
He answers: "I heard it was suicide" while thinking "Treating me that way - yeah, that's a form of suicide"
They ask: Where is he? If he's dead then where is the body?
He answers: "I don't know" while thinking "Who knows how far down river the current's carried it?"

And so.  He doesn't lie, he just doesn't give them the answers they are looking for.

Another example - the average politician.  Good ones don't lie but they don't actually tell you the truth.  They lead you to believe that they agree with you without committing themselves.

Better yet - MacBeth.  The title character goes to these witches and asks "How long will I rule?" and is told "Until blah forest comes to the castle" - and when the enemy army comes they cut branches from the trees (to conceal their numbers) so it looks as if the forest is marching on the castle.  He asks "Will someone kill me" and is told "No man born of woman will kill you"  - which means (no, not a woman) that this guy who was born via C-section (ripped untimely from my mother's womb) kills him.

In short they tell him the truth and completely mislead him with it - just like the Fae do.

Richard

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 10:20:56 PM »
Better yet - MacBeth.  The title character goes to these witches and asks "How long will I rule?" and is told "Until blah forest comes to the castle" - and when the enemy army comes they cut branches from the trees (to conceal their numbers) so it looks as if the forest is marching on the castle.  He asks "Will someone kill me" and is told "No man born of woman will kill you"  - which means (no, not a woman) that this guy who was born via C-section (ripped untimely from my mother's womb) kills him.

In short they tell him the truth and completely mislead him with it - just like the Fae do.

Richard

I'm sure Jim would likely tell you that there's a reason why Macbeth's witches seem so much like fey. :)

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 10:36:21 PM »
It should also be noted that although the Fae cannot lie, they are under no compulsion to tell the truth.

"Did you kill this man?  Did you do him any harm?"

"No."  (They made him look like a wanted killer, and he was shot by a police officer...but the Fae did not actually kill the man, and caused him no physical harm.)
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.