Author Topic: What’s the best way to get your book published?  (Read 2966 times)

Offline RodimusGT

• Participant
    • View Profile
What’s the best way to get your book published?
« on: May 31, 2011, 06:00:39 PM »
Okay so I’ve been of the mind that the best thing for a new author to do is seek out a literary agent, and have him send your book to a publisher, and have them release the book assuming they like what they read. But now you hear about all the options to self publishers, such as eBook conversion and consignment.

I know nothing on publishers/ing, and it’s something I’m not going to stress too much over until my work is complete. But I wanted to ask you all what’s your take on the publishing scene. In this day and age would a majority of you still recommend to new authors going to an agent and to a publisher? Or if done right is certain aspects of self publishing becoming more profitable?

Thanks for the advice in advance

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
Re: What’s the best way to get your book published?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 09:48:14 PM »
My opinion is that the best way is whichever works best for you.

That being said, each has it's pros and cons.  Traditional publishing is harder to do because you have to get someone interested enough in your book that they want to sell/buy it.  Sometimes two people- one to sell(agent) and one to buy(editor)-and that can be difficult because they have to go with what they love plus what they think will sell.  And once you have both agent and editor on board, then it has to go to I think marketing, or something like that, that has to decide if it'll be something they can sell.  Sometimes an editor can absolutely love a book, but if it's too different, I think especially with the big 6, then it's going to be difficult to get past those people.  But then there are always the smaller publishers that might be more willing to take a chance.  The plus is that you have people who love your book and will want to see it do well. Downside--it can take up to a year before a book is published.  Possibly longer. 

Selfpublishing can be done a whole lot quicker.  And you'll get a higher percentage.  This can work for some people.  You have to do a lot on your own, though.  At least, you do if you want to put out a high quality piece of work.  You'll have to find someone to edit and help with revisions, someone to copyedit and proofread.  Then you have to decide what kinda price point you want.  Yeah, you could put out a piece of work for $.99 and sell a lot, but you can't guarantee that those people are even going to read it.  Plus, at Amazon, you do get 70%, but at $.99, that's not a lot.  And if you've really put a lot of work into something, would you want to sell for that little?

Marketing you have to do a lot of for yourself, no matter which way you go.  Unless you're a big name author like Stephen King or Dan Brown, where you know you'll be getting the help, publishers don't really have that much money for publicizing new authors.

Myself-I'm gonna look for an agent.

And my train has been derailed by oohhh...shiny.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline RodimusGT

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 10:59:49 AM »
Thanks for the input Starbeam. I'm not sure which route I'll take but I'm leaning more towards an agent myself. We will see what happens but like I said I'm not finished yet. so I won't make any definitive decisions until then.

Here's an interesting question though, to me anyway. Wouldn't it technically be possible to send your manuscript out to an agent, and if you hear nothing back and have no luck on that route, then go ahead an self publish?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 11:45:47 AM by RodimusGT »

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 12:13:52 PM »
It's definitely possible. But again, you would have to get people to help polish the manuscript before putting it out.  Some/lots of people don't do that-they just go straight to putting it out.  From most everything I've seen agents say, there's usually a reason something gets rejected.  Sounds like the best way to tell is the type of rejection you get-form vs personalized.

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 12:06:11 AM »
I hesitate to post this, as it could open up a can of worms that could get out of hand....

http://kriswrites.com/ -- Kristine Kathryn Rusch is a best-selling author who also writes a blog about the publishing business from an author's POV. Her last few blog posts on her "The Business Rusch" are a real eye-opener on the current state of the publishing business.

Craig

Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 02:11:53 AM »
Rusch and Michael Stackpole both have interesting things to say about publishing.    And posting the link is no more a can of worms than the original post.  It's one of those things that's currently a big debate.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 03:48:44 PM »
I've heard that Michael A Stackpole isn't a good example. He has a known and extensive library with a name that is known and a following as well.

Personally, I have decided to work through the traditional means. I write to write, and I study to improve. If I can't get an agent interested, then so be it.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 02:48:00 AM »
I've heard that Michael A Stackpole isn't a good example. He has a known and extensive library with a name that is known and a following as well.

Personally, I have decided to work through the traditional means. I write to write, and I study to improve. If I can't get an agent interested, then so be it.

One word of advice: if you do get a contract, have a Lawyer specilizing in IPs to go over it before you sign it --- because they're putting in all sorts of clauses in them these days that benifit them and not the authors -- E-books rights, getting a percentage (In the case of agents) on all the author's work even if the author is no longer being repersented by that agent, or other little things that robs the author of rights and money.

These days, the Author has to have some business savvy, or else end up loosing a lot of money and some rights. The business is changing. Best to be aware of it, so you don't get caught wrong-footed.

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 08:40:05 AM »
The best way to get published is to submit the work and then go write something else. Kind of like popcorn, you don't make and eat it one kernel at a time.

Aside from that you can sell with out an agent, but once you have an acceptance query agents (saying that you have a sale) and get them to do the contract. Publishing law is exotic, it need an expert to keep you from getting burned.

On a side note, self publishing is no longer as stigmatized as it once was, non the less side stepping the gate keepers dumps you in to the jungle, where you are just one more leaf in brush. Standing out is the key, especially in the new era of the $.99 Dreadful.

Regards,
Kevin
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 09:29:31 AM »
My goal originally was to get an agent first, but I spotted am opportunity to get a publisher directly and I have no regrets. I have a good contract, considering I'm a first-time author, but I have a friend who works in marketing at a non-fiction publisher who looked over the contract for me before I signed, and I did my homework on the publisher themselves before even submitting. An agent will look after your interests in that regard for you.

It all comes down to what you want. I wanted traditional publishing because I want a professional editor to work with me to make my book the best it can be, and while I'm aware that ebooks are a hugely important side of the industry, I wanted to see physical copies of my books on shelves. I just don't have the funds to do all that on my own.

While you can self-publish very quickly, you need to remember that you're entirely on your own as regards marketing. Even Amanda Hocking has signed on with a publisher now because the work she had to do to market herself and her books was taking so much time away from her actual writing. Now, there is always a need for an author, especially a new author, to promote themselves as much as they can on their own, it will be that much easier with an agent or publisher helping you.

In general, my advice would be to seek traditional publishing, and an agent, as your first option. Sure, you'll earn a lower percentage per book sold than if you self-publish, but your odds of actually getting copies sold, and of your book being at a standard that will attract readers to the all-important second book, are usually higher with a publisher.

While you're doing that, start building your online platform. Start a blog, get on Twitter. Post on Absolute Write, join Goodreads. Look up Kristen Lamb on Twitter and her blog. She has a wealth of advice on using social media to promote yourself.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 09:02:22 PM »
I believe that Jim Butcher still uses 'Longshot' as his avatar. That pretty much applies, even to those with wonderful stories, excellent editing skills, and a nice plump impressive writer's bio.  Might start with short stories. FYI--another person in my online crit group has obtained an agent. That is three total! This is an impressive feat.  What did it take, uhm at least three years of writing and revision after revision after revision after revision...  The agony can be unbearable! I really give them all huge credit for being pig-headed, obstinate, and never-ever giving up!  They are very special people!

"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 02:02:02 AM »
What did it take, uhm at least three years of writing and revision after revision after revision after revision... 

Three years is fast. Very fast.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 06:29:18 PM »
Three years is fast. Very fast.
*sigh*... so I shouldn't move on, but continue to revise? ARGHH!

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 10:35:26 PM »
*sigh*... so I shouldn't move on, but continue to revise? ARGHH!

I think it boils down to; if someone's interested in you, do what works for them; if not, do whatever is the best way to get more and better books out there.

Biggest variable between that for individuals, IMO, is how they write and how they rewrite. 
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 04:56:07 PM »
Biggest variable between that for individuals, IMO, is how they write and how they rewrite. 
Absolutely right on. Also shows the difference between a beginner and someone hopefully further along the writing journey.