Author Topic: What Makes A Play-By-Post Game Last?  (Read 8541 times)

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
Re: What Makes A Play-By-Post Game Last?
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2011, 02:09:19 PM »
I'm pretty sure Seoul ended when Bosh disappeared without warning.  I have no idea why that happened.

Sadly, I've already forgotten whether I called an end to Seattle (Hard Rain Falls), or just left it hanging.  I do recall the circumstances which occurred around the time it died.  One player had dropped of the face of the earth, and wasn't responding to messages or e-mails, and I was on a lengthy trip without consistent internet access.  The game went on hiatus to find a replacement player, but after some time, the momentum for posting was clean gone.  It was shortly after that that things ended.  I was getting burned out at the time this all happened.

The GM is probably a huge factor in how long these games can last. If your Pbp game relies on a GM, you should have:
a) countermeasures in place in case the GM stops.
b) A good posting rhythm from the players.

Of course, the real key is having a bunch of players who are enthusiastic about telling the stories of their characters together.  But all the other advice can help a lot.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Mij

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Undertown!
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2011, 12:53:00 AM »
Wow, some great discussion in this thread.  I'm not certain I have a lot to add to what's already here, but let me put in my "two cents" on some things.

First, a little bit about our group.  Fyrchick covered most of this in an earlier post, so I'll just recap the highlights.  We're not technically a PbP.  Instead, we use two chat rooms for our sessions and play in real time.

- The first chat room (Undertown) is used for all in-character actions and discussions, and because it allows me to get transcripts of the game sessions.  But it doesn't have a dice bot, so ...

- The other room (here on the forum) is for out-of-character discussion and dice rolling.  I manually copy and paste the dice rolls between chat windows so they're part of the "official" record.

I put all the transcripts and other materials on a website (MediaFire) where the players can get them.  Game sessions are scheduled, twice per week, and typically last between 2 and 4 hours.

Alright, onto some thoughts.  First, I agree that a GM is important to a game, and that if the GM loses interest, then the game is going to have difficulty continuing.  DFRPG is one of the best systems I've seen in that it encourages -- nay demands -- participation by the players in every aspect of the game, including city generation.  That's a tremendous strength, and relieves the GM of some of the weight of responsibility associated with other gaming systems.  However, the GM is still solely responsible for directing how the adventures are shaped within that setting.  So if you're thinking of being a GM, take a moment to consider whether you're willing to put in the work required.  As a side note, let me add that experience, while certainly helpful, is not a requirement for this job.  Willingness, enthusiasm, and creativity (or insanity) are, in my opinion, much more important.

That said, another key ingredient in the mix is, of course, the players.  I have been blessed with a group of truly amazing folks for which to GM.  They have great ideas for their characters and the setting.  They also make the time to be available for the game, which seems to be another commonly cited reason for games falling apart (players don’t show up).

To add a new point to the discussion, the players I currently have in my group "mesh" with my particular preference in play style, which I feel is very important.  It also speaks to the current debate in this thread over game mechanics.  Games such as DFRPG have two basic elements: the "roleplay" part (which I define as character interactions) and the "mechanics" part (which I define as dice rolling and rules interpretation).  A successful game, in my opinion, needs to have both aspects, but the balance between them is critical, and varies with the group.  Action-oriented groups are going to get bored playing too many roleplaying scenes.  Roleplaying fans will get frustrated if they don’t get enough chance to explore their character.  In my own games, I tend to favor roleplay, and try to use it to set up mechanics-oriented scenes.  For example, having one or two characters spend a scene or two discovering the location of a nest of Ghouls (roleplay), before letting them battle the Ghouls in their lair (mechanical).

A couple notes on roleplay versus mechanical.  First, roleplay for roleplay’s sake is, in my opinion, a waste regardless of the group’s preference.  A roleplay scene should have a definite purpose in the plot line, or it should be left out.  Second, I’m still working on getting the right balance between roleplay and mechanics as well.

The last element I wanted to comment on was the setting.  I can’t emphasize this enough.  Put the work in to make your setting.  It doesn’t have to be absolutely finished to the last detail when you start using it (San Francisco still isn’t completely done as I write this, and my group has been playing for almost a year).  But it should be a solid skeleton at least, with some meat on the bones that the GM can use to generate plot lines and scenes.  And players, for heaven’s sake, be involved in the creative process.  As the DFRPG manuals state, this is where you can help the GM by providing him with ideas (locations, NPCs) that will make your character more interesting and fun to play.  And don’t worry that by setting this all down ahead of time, you’ll lose the spontaneity of game play.  As Clausewitz said, “no campaign plan survives first contact with the enemy.”  Once you start playing, things will happen that no one could have predicted, and it’ll just make the game even better.

Mij
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 12:59:22 AM by Mij »
Your Laundry skill is Poor (-1), and the difficulty here is Great (+4) owing to old machines, poor lighting, and panty-stealing neighbors.  Roll the Fudge Dice, please.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2011, 08:27:52 PM »
Interesting point about playstyle meshing, there. I don't think I've ever seen a PbP game where people actually tried to screen players for style.

So, how would one go about defining playstyle so as to avoid conflicts?

It sounds to me like Mij is a plot-focused GM.

Personally, I'm not all that interested in plot. I don't hate it, but I'm not really here to tell stories. I'm here to play games.

I'd describe myself as a challenge-focused GM. I present my players with obstacles, and they try to get past them.

What other styles are there out there?

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2011, 09:09:46 PM »
There'd be roleplay-focused, I suppose, where one feels is IS okay to roleplay for RP's sake, to meander through the PbP with character interactions and introspections and puppeted encounters with NPCs.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2011, 10:44:05 PM »
There'd be roleplay-focused, I suppose, where one feels is IS okay to roleplay for RP's sake, to meander through the PbP with character interactions and introspections and puppeted encounters with NPCs.

Notice that this is definitely NOT what Mij is saying.  Even in his roleplay-focused group (which I have spied on once or twice), they do not spend a lot of time (or much at all, really) on navel-gazing, nothing goes anywhere type of "roleplaying".  Every scene matters, its just not necessarily a mechanics intensive form of mattering.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2011, 02:47:48 AM »
Hey, it's okay.  :)  I wasn't saying Mij's game was that.  He expressly said he edits out wasteful roleplay for RP's sake (a move I heartily endorse what with limited free time all around).  I was just suggesting (as per Sanctaphrax's question) that there are people who DO like RP for RP regardless of plot or challenge.