Author Topic: Trying to stat up a shadow  (Read 1841 times)

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Trying to stat up a shadow
« on: June 05, 2011, 02:11:43 AM »
I have an idea for a Walker that is basically just a shadow that takes people over.  It's easy enough to figure out how hurting it works with Immunity and catches and whatnot, but what I'm having trouble with mechanically is how to handle seeing it.  I want it to be something that you can see if there's enough light (with there being a bonus for the Walker to hide in existing shadows) but it's basically impossible to see it if it's dark enough.  How would I stat that as a power, and what would the refresh cost be?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to stat up a shadow
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 02:16:20 AM »
Cloak Of Shadows gives +2 to hide in darkness. Tack a stunt and a high stealth skill onto that, and you have near-invisibility. No need for a new power.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 02:57:12 AM »
How would I stat that as a power, and what would the refresh cost be?
Here's how I created a similar creature - from existing powers.

High Concept: Shadow from Beyond the Gates
Trouble: Weakened by the Light
Other Aspects:  Patient Stalker; Soul Eater;
Skills
    Alertness +3
    Conviction +3
    Deceit +4
    Discipline +3
    Intimidation +2
    Lore +3
    Might +4
    Presence +2
    Stealth +4

Stunts
    Rule with Fear (Intimidation); Wrestler (Might); Blend In (Stealth)

Powers
    Cloak of Shadows; Spirit Form; Poltergeist; Domination; Possession; Physical Immunity (Catch is Light); Inhuman Recovery (Catch is Holy)

Stress
    Physical: OO
    Mental: OOOO
    Social: OO

Total Refresh Cost: -19
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline tetrasodium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 02:57:53 AM »
I have an idea for a Walker that is basically just a shadow that takes people over.  It's easy enough to figure out how hurting it works with Immunity and catches and whatnot, but what I'm having trouble with mechanically is how to handle seeing it.  I want it to be something that you can see if there's enough light (with there being a bonus for the Walker to hide in existing shadows) but it's basically impossible to see it if it's dark enough.  How would I stat that as a power, and what would the refresh cost be?
is your shadow creature two, three, or inbetween* dimensional?

*I.e. two like a shadow but with the ability to rise upfrom its pool/puddleish surface hugging nature

Edit: a Doctor Who Vashta Nerada type shadow would be all but invisible unless Joe moves out of a shadowed area and a three dimensional creature that blends into shadows you happen to notice he has two shadows or one isn't quite right A three dimensional creature that blends into shadows would be an entirely different take on things though
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 03:02:38 AM by tetrasodium »

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 04:28:31 AM »
Total Refresh Cost: -19

Are you trying to stat an Outsider?  If so, this is way lowballed.  On the other hand, if this is something Dresden can take it's highball.  This is somewhere between Dresden and the SC.

My real question is, Zenten, what refresh are you looking for? Or how should this thing be comparable to Dresden?

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 01:30:22 PM »
Are you trying to stat an Outsider? 
No, I wasn't trying to create a Power like a Walker.  I was looking for something more demon-like.  I tend to avoid direct use of Outsiders - they're too impersonal an evil for me. 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 02:04:56 PM »
OK, here's the character I created:

http://pics.livejournal.com/zenten/pic/0002qx3s

I'm not sure how to reflect on the sheet that some powers are available when not possessing, some powers are available when possessing, and some powers are available all the time.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 06:58:34 PM »
Are you trying to stat an Outsider?  If so, this is way lowballed. 

Not necessarily... the Tentacled Horrors from OW p. 77 are refresh cost -12. He Who Walks Behind is -30, but he seems to be an exceptional Outsider.

Of course, some of the OW stats are a bit oddly scaled.

Offline skree

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 09:32:43 PM »
He Who Walks Behind

ZALGO!

Offline Michael Sandy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 07:49:36 AM »
There was an interesting stunt I saw on an online character.

Stealth has the additional trapping of dodge versus ranged attacks.  Effect is being so hard to see, flickering in and out of darkness.

You could also take 'shadowmancy', and use the conjuration rules for conjuring up shadow.  Have an item with +2 control, only for conjuring up shadow, +2 complexity, only for conjuring up shadow, for 2 item slots.

If you go the caster route, you have can rotes:
+5 movement, only to go from shadow to shadow
shadowcloak 5 shift block
Instant darkness, 4 shift sticky maneuver

I like the physical immunity, catch Light.  That could make it VERY dangerous if it works with something that can take out or prevent light sources.  Like say, by activating a ward against magic.