Author Topic: Red Court debates in our campaign  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Insanelopez

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Red Court debates in our campaign
« on: June 06, 2011, 04:39:28 PM »
So I'm going to be playing a campaign next weekend which will heavily involve red court vampires.  I had a few questions about them.

1)  I am playing a white court vampire.  What effect does red court venom have on white court?  Does it effect them at all?

2)  There is a werewolf in our party.  Does red court venom still effect him when he's in wolf form?

3)  How does sunlight effect red court vampires?  I say sunlight burns and kills them, as sunlight is supposed to effect vampires.  Others in my party say sunlight only burns off their flesh mask, leaving their true form exposed, as in storm front when dresden used the sun flash on bianca, burning off her flesh mask.

Also, since I'm playing a white court vampire, I need to know how do white court vampires react to thresholds?

Thanks for answering my questions, folks, I appreciate it.

Offline Discipol

• Conversationalist
  • I use this for magical purposes. Honestly!
    • View Profile
Re: Red Court debates in our campaign
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 04:48:23 PM »
1) white court are humans with a "demon" in them. they need to eat food for themselves, and emotion for said demon. They are affected by red court saliva, and since they have blood, i can be drunk by the reds. However! our DM says the venom lasts 2 days for vanilla mortals, 12 hours for the supernatural, non fey.
2)12 hours. inhuman regeneration could be used to half this to 6, but it would disable the minor consequence due to it being busy. My character spent 3 hours doing pushups, essentially an endurance contest, to sweat the crap out. replaced the red saliva exposure with a mild consequence "tired". which a goodnight sleep took it out.
3)red sunlight removes their human guise, and satisfies their catch. So if you get one in the sunlight, non toughness or regeneration for them. Its like you performing operation on yourself while in a bathtub of lemon juice. It does not kill them, but it does damage black court.

Due to the stress of the catch being satisfied, the vampire must make discipline checks or get hunger stress. Thats why they can eventually be taken out in sunlight, and its why Bianca had to feed on the chick, when Dresden left her place. She had to feed her hunger due to the stress.
Frank Power: Picture
High Concept: "Emissary of the Crystal Dragon, Crystalax", Trouble: "A debt I will never afford to pay."
Aspects: "Modern-day Gladiator.", "Authority p

Offline Holocron.Coder

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 04:50:31 PM »
1)  I am playing a white court vampire.  What effect does red court venom have on white court?  Does it effect them at all?
No reason it shouldn't.

2)  There is a werewolf in our party.  Does red court venom still effect him when he's in wolf form?
Same as above, IMO.

3)  How does sunlight effect red court vampires?  I say sunlight burns and kills them, as sunlight is supposed to effect vampires.  Others in my party say sunlight only burns off their flesh mask, leaving their true form exposed, as in storm front when dresden used the sun flash on bianca, burning off her flesh mask.
Burns and eventually kills. Think uber-sunburn mixed with a bit of gasoline+match. There's mention that some of the oldest red courts can walk in sunlight, "hiding in the shadow of their fleshmask." The reason bianca was only exposed was that it was only a burst of sunlight. If it was sustained, I imagine she would've quickly become a greasy smear on the carpet.

Also, since I'm playing a white court vampire, I need to know how do white court vampires react to thresholds?
Not sure on this one. We usually don't see Thomas have any trouble around them, but then, again, he's always invited to wherever we see him go. I'd do a quick ruling that it's somewhat like Wizards, since they're both quasi-mortal. They can enter, but they lose access to their powers, depending on threshold strength.
DV HolocronCoder v1.2 YR3 FR1.5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH+ WG+++ CL+ BC+ MC+++++ SH[Murph++ Molly+ Thomas---]

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 04:59:06 PM »
White Court Vampires would be affected, although if you are disciplined one you can probably resist it. You still have the human body.

Red Court venom should affect a werewolf, provided it gets through the fur. It is just an all around narcotic, from what we see.

Sunlight does burn and kill, although they don't go up like torches unless they stick with it. They can take some light, but it will hurt, and they will die if continually exposed.

White Court Vampires can probably walk through a Threshold just fine, but I don't know how well their powers will work inside.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 05:01:19 PM »
Just my thoughts on the matter, although I could be wrong. . .

1) It should still have an affect, but it may be harder due to the Toughness/Recovery powers.

2) Yes, the venom will still work on a werewolf, but again, may not work as well if the werewolf has any powers to assist.

3) Sunlight fulfills the Catch on all of the Red Court powers and deals damage accordingly. Remember that Harry's "sunlight in a hankie" item was only a burst, not full-on and constantly burning sunlight. This burst was enough to deal damage and burn through the flesh mask, but not much else.
Basically, sunlight will burn a flesh mask on contact, and it WILL burn the vampire within with enough exposure.

White Court Vamps leave behind their power when they cross a threshold. Mechanically, the strength of the threshold will act as a block to the Vampire whenever they are utilizing their powers.

--Crion
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 06:02:37 PM »
If you're looking for sunlight's effect on the red court, the best reference is Bianca's messengers in grave peril (I think? That's the one with Kravos, and Bianca's party right?).

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 07:21:57 PM »
Thomas was affected by Harry's threshold.  When they first meet after the "big do",
(click to show/hide)

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 09:54:22 PM »
1) Yep, still affected.*
2) Yep, still affected.*
3) Mechanically, I would treat it as a compel (probably causing 1 stress per exchange of exposure) unless weaponized like Harry's attack on Bianca.

Thresholds act against WCVs as they do against any human - supernatural powers are blocked / suppressed.

*Temporary aspects such as those placed by Addictive Saliva may be consciously removed by taking appropriate action.  Discipol's Endurance test is a good example.  Additionally, Toughness and Recovery powers may help mitigate consequences and stress taken.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 12:08:52 AM »
My votes are:

* Addictive Saliva affects anyone who doesn't have a mechanic that grants them resistance or immunity.  The power doesn't specify 'mortals (or humans) only'.  Duration should be based on how the power is used, in my opinion: a maneuver last a scene (or until a legitimate counter-maneuver), consequences last until recovered from.  Note that since the attack counts as mental, most supernatural creatures have little resistance or improved recovery relative to mortals.

* All supernatural abilities are suppressed by threshold, unless the character is invited it.  Wizards, Vampires, whatever.  WCV are not 'creatures of pure spirit', and therefore shouldn't take damage from doing so, though.  (Unless it was a Ward, of course.)

* Sunlight vs. Vampires is detailed in a sidebar on YS325, for a pesimistic definition of 'detailed'.  If pressed for mechanics, I'd probably say that the RCV who finds themselves in sunlight gets hit by a Compel to flee to safety, and until they reach safety has to resist with their Endurance against a Great attack each exchange.  I might consider increasing the attack strength by one shift each exchange, as well.  (Note that Harry's hanky counted as a single attack at weapon:3 due to it being 'weaponized'.)

Offline JustADude

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 01:01:15 PM »

I would rule that there is an effect, but I'd say the WCV in question would still be able to feed, and might even get a compel to indulge their Hunger if they RCV is being smart/sneaky and not actually licking them.

As others have said, I would say the werewolf would be affected if it makes skin contact. However, as MijRai pointed out, a Wolf has a thick coat of water-repellant fur covering 99% of it's body. Take that into account how you will.

3)  How does sunlight effect red court vampires?  I say sunlight burns and kills them, as sunlight is supposed to effect vampires.  Others in my party say sunlight only burns off their flesh mask, leaving their true form exposed, as in storm front when Dresden used the sun flash on Bianca, burning off her flesh mask.

I'd say most of them would get their flesh-masks toasted off instantly, followed by eventual incineration, once they run out of juice to heal up the damage. Show this with Hunger Stress hits every exchange after the first exposure, but with the resulting Consequences being themed along incineration rather than starvation.