Author Topic: FATE system in the 'Verse  (Read 3248 times)

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: FATE system in the 'Verse
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 04:24:00 PM »
Mal:

High Concept: Man of honor in a den of thieves

Trouble: What you plan and what happens ain't ever been similar

Phase one: My coat is brown

Phase two: On the loosing side, not the wrong one

Phase three: Captain of Serenity

Phase four: You're part of my crew

Phase five: In love with Inara

Offline arsieiuni

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
I would say this... I TRIED to run a Firefly-esque game once recently and it failed miserably... Because I felt like I was walking in the footsteps of Giants.
Can you make up Firefly-styled encounters and scenarios and make a really great story go? Can you keep it with the right feel and pacing?
If not... Well that's why I quit running that one. I didn't feel right trying to run it if I couldn't deliver awesome stuff.

It's just hard to live up to Firefly quality. That's all I'm saying. :) Make sure you're well-prepared!

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 11:24:43 AM »
To get a story like this going where you're after a specific feel, probably the best advice would be using a trick from the West End Games version of Star Wars. Take a scenario, toss the characters into the action right off the bat and give them their first line or two along with some description to kind of flesh out what's going on. Have to use your head a bit with what you're setting them up for. But if you need, for example, someone to start a bar fight or have otherwise made some sort of mistake to get the ball rolling, you can just offer a fate point to whoever wants to volunteer to help and use one of their Aspects for ideas on how to get them involved. Also kind of helps with party cohesion due to the whole "we're all on the same side... because everyone else is shooting at us" thing if your story is setup that way.

Just mentioning this because a number of the Firefly storylines could be described as one or more characters making a mistake or having some past issue stalk them down and the whole crew getting involved in the mess. This of course doesn't work unless characters like Jayne are uncommon. Your rag-tag bunch has to predominantly be composed of people who have qualities that bind them to the group or a storyline like this will shred your game. Of course if you have a group that doesn't have any cohesion you're not going to be able to tell stories like Firefly in the first place although you could still use the setting.