Linked Events

• Signing in New York, NY: August 02, 2011

Author Topic: Signing in New York, NY on 8/2  (Read 38040 times)

Offline jeditigger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Q&A at NYC Barnes & Noble Tribeca, 8/3/11 (part 4)
« Reply #120 on: August 06, 2011, 02:39:20 AM »
Audience member: Are we going to hear about the conditions that Harry’s father had to show up inside his … when he was in his subconscious?

Jim: Oh, are we going to hear about the conditions that had to be met for Harry’s father to show up and visit him in his subconscious?  Harry could have been imagining that.  I’m sure, I mean,  probably most of this is in his imagination.  (pause) Probably, you know.  I mean, sure, he’s a wizard and all but come on. His dad showing up to talk to him? Yeah, ‘cause that’s how lucky he is.  (points) Very back in the plaid shirt.

Audience member:  How soon are we going to see more direct contact with Cowl and the Black Court? [Ed. note: Meaning the Black Council.]

Jim: How soon are we going to see more direct contact with Cowl and the Black Court? Next book. Yeah, next book we’ll see them again  Actually, this will be really the first time I get to have them be more active than behind the scenes in terms of what role they’re playing.

Audience member: Your fallen angel characters…I was just wondering if you have ever really given any thought to developing the whole idea of angels …

Jim: I have a lot of fallen angel characters and have I ever given thought to developing the whole angel notion a bit more. Yeah, but they’re kinda limited in terms of what they can do.  You know, they can respond to…they can respond if the bad guys cheat  but mostly they just kinda stand there and look menacing and the Fallen just don’t mess with them unless someone’s got an actual plan going on.  You know, angels slugging it out with one another could potentially, you know, blow up planets. That’s the kind of level of power that angels are; they’re just off the scale of like anything that Dresden can do.  But they’re sort of more observers than anything and occasionally, you know, they’ll be the one who says, “Hey, could you stand outside the door until my child grows up and is safe?” “Yeah, I can do that.” Yeah, it’s not a big deal for one of them.

Audience member: Are there any fallen angels who are not Nickelheads?

Jim: Are there any fallen angels who are not Nickelheads? Plenty. Including Lucifer.

Audience member: How did you come up with having the Leanansidhe as Harry’s fairy godmother?

Jim:  How did I come up with having the Leanansidhe as his fairy godmother? I looked her up, I thought she was cool, I thought it was a great idea to have a character who had sort of made her bones in the fairy business by working to inspire these poor artists and singers and playwrights in exchange for draining their blood.  I thought that was a great place, you know, for a fairy godmother to start.  You know, if you’re planning on throwing your wizard into the grinder over and over, you gotta give him a fairy godmother with TEETH.  So I wasn’t going to go with some wimpy sunlight fairy.  No way. We can do better than that.  Okay, last one. (points) Hat with buttons.

Audience member: What, if anything, could threaten the Carpenter household right now?

Jim:  What, if anything, could threaten the Carpenter household right now? Nuthin’ much. Yeah, Michael’s got a dozen angels on constant security detail. He’s fine. There’s one that goes with each kid when they go to school. It’s ridiculous around there. And they’ve also got, you know, Mouse, there to keep track of things.  Plus they’ve got like the biggest threshold in the entire WORLD for that kind of thing. 

Shecky: Mister could do it.

Jim: (laughs) Yeah, well, Mister could threaten the house.  You’re right.  Mister would walk right up, walk through all the defenses,  you know, pop Mouse on the nose,  Mouse would walk away.  “I give, I give, come on, it’s not worth it, Mister.  That’s right, give him the food.” Okay, guys, if there are any other questions and you can ask them in fairly short order, feel free to ask ‘em when you come up to the signing. And thank you for putting up with me, and we’ll get some books signed.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 10:38:06 PM by jeditigger »
@jeditigger on Twitter
Quote from: Spot
BatPooh! You shall be known as BatPooh now. Yup.

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Signing in New York, NY on 8/2
« Reply #121 on: August 06, 2011, 06:03:56 AM »
Thank you for doing all that work transcribing!
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 06, 2011, 11:26:21 AM »
Bang-up job! I just wish I didn't have so many off-the-cuff wisess comments that made it into the record.  ::)
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline jeditigger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 06, 2011, 11:47:33 AM »
Bang-up job! I just wish I didn't have so many off-the-cuff wisess comments that made it into the record.  ::)

Heh. I thought several of those were yours!

I ducked in and corrected some formatting. (I used to be a technical writer and I'm kinda anal-retentive where that stuff goes. SO SUE ME.)
@jeditigger on Twitter

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 06, 2011, 12:05:55 PM »
I ducked in and corrected some formatting. (I used to be a technical writer and I'm kinda anal-retentive where that stuff goes. SO SUE ME.)

That settles it - you ARE one of us.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline jeditigger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 06, 2011, 12:49:38 PM »
That settles it - you ARE one of us.

I suddenly feel like a Pod Person.  But in a good way!
@jeditigger on Twitter

Offline whingnut

• Conversationalist
  • @RobJDurand
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2011, 02:27:43 PM »
Oh yeah a wiseass comment from you is the issue here. RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT.  ;D
"Did not see some of it coming AT ALL--crazy ramifications for Dresdenverse" - Anne Sowards 08/03/12 on Twitter regarding Cold Days

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2011, 03:29:59 PM »
YOU ROCK SO HARD.  Thank you so much for doing this!  *hugs*

Some notes/clarifications/tweaks:

The question about Harry's handedness was asked by our Rachel/Starbeam.
I believe "biffed" should be "piffed."
"The technical term" was me. :D
The question the video misses was "What about Murphy?"
Yes, "Thanks, Jim" was indeed me.  Because I was the person Jim "watched" read and react to the chapter. :D
The *coughSkaviscough* was Shecky.
Pokeman --> Pokemon
"Harry's not bald" --> "Harry's not involved." :D
"slow, boring world" --> "slow, boring war"
My best guess at the spoilery question, as it was mostly unintelligible:
(click to show/hide)
Yes, "No spoilers" was me.
After the question about YA Dresdenverse, me: "Li'l Harry Adventures!"
The Archangel question: "Archangel.  Is... The people behind the destruction of Archangel--are they dead?  And will we see their comeuppance?"
Re: the Alera afterword: "or was that an unintentional printing error?"
"And the forums explode" -- Pretty sure this was someone in our group.  Shecky?
"So, the swords.  They showed up in the fight in Changes, and they were sort of mentioned, but are we going to see new bearers of the swords in the future, any time soon?"
The audience member who asked about the Gruffs was Shecky.
The question about the business card:  "My friend here went to [Otakon?], and apparently, Harry dropped into our world."  Then, "We actually called him.  It was static!"
The audience question about Fix: "Are Fix and Harry going to have an epic battle?"
The audience member who asked about Luccio was Melissa/SherlockBones.
The off-camera thing in the Buffy story: An audience member jokingly shouted "WHAT?" in response to Jim saying Buffy had to kill Angel.  Everyone laughed, because that spoiler is thirteen years old.
The "Mister could do it" was Shecky.

Offline jeditigger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2011, 03:31:51 PM »
Thank you, Miss P! I heard the spoiler question...I guess I can include it behind a spoiler tag?

You guys rock. :)
@jeditigger on Twitter

Offline whingnut

• Conversationalist
  • @RobJDurand
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 06, 2011, 03:33:28 PM »
"and the forums explode" was in fact me  ;D

Oh and Jeditigger thank you bang up job, I should have said that sooner but my head's in like 5 places at once ramping up to our wedding next Saturday.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 03:36:28 PM by whingnut »
"Did not see some of it coming AT ALL--crazy ramifications for Dresdenverse" - Anne Sowards 08/03/12 on Twitter regarding Cold Days

Offline jeditigger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2011, 03:35:35 PM »

And I was pretty sure of THAT too, due to proximity to the mike. 

I will go make adjustments anon.
@jeditigger on Twitter

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2011, 03:42:44 PM »
Thank you, Miss P! I heard the spoiler question...I guess I can include it behind a spoiler tag?

You guys rock. :)

Yuppers!

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2011, 03:49:44 PM »

Oh and Jeditigger thank you bang up job, I should have said that sooner but my head's in like 5 places at once ramping up to our wedding next Saturday.

Pretty sure we were stereo on that crack, Rob. :D JT, I was the purple shirt and ginormous noggin that occasionally floated into view in Priscellie's video (it's the one shot from the side with lots of Jim profile happenin'). Even my mutterings got on there - sorry, folks.

And aye, JT, you set boot to arse on that transcription.

'Cellie, "piffed" was definitely what I heard, too. It's a verbification of the sound something makes when it goes *pff*. ;D

Offline whingnut

• Conversationalist
  • @RobJDurand
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2011, 03:56:32 PM »
been meaning to put one of these up

Photo Credit Goes to Blaze's fantastic Hubby Micheal great guy and always a pleasure to see him.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2011, 04:01:04 PM »
I was having trouble NOT focusing on Jim's awesome leather backpack. You could protect a freaking soufflé in there.