Linked Events

• Signing in Washington, D.C.: August 01, 2011

Author Topic: Signing in Washington D.C. (McLean, VA) on 8/1  (Read 63419 times)

Offline Heartsonycgr

• Conversationalist
  • Not quite as old as ancient Mai...
    • View Profile
Re: Signing in Washington D.C. (McLean, VA) on 8/1
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2011, 04:10:32 PM »
Consensus seems to be that we will be meeting before the signing at Gordon Biersch which is located directly across from B&N's first story enterance inside the mall.  

Fabuloso!!  I'll be driving from NW DC area...what time will we meet up at Gordon B's?  Am really looking forward to seeing the JBForum gang again!

Cheers!
Milo, where's the Tollbooth?  Love, Tock.
Twitter: @Heartsonycgr

Offline Toe-mas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2011, 04:25:29 PM »
Fabuloso!!  I'll be driving from NW DC area...what time will we meet up at Gordon B's?  Am really looking forward to seeing the JBForum gang again!

Cheers!

I'll be leaving SE DC around 2...  So Tyson's by 4?  :-\ 

Seriously, I just plan on showing up, telling them I'm part of the Harry Dresden party and seeing how it goes.

Offline Heartsonycgr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2011, 04:27:47 PM »
I'm sure this already got posted, but I will post again just in case.  On the Tyson's Corner B&N website it says:

"Please note: You must present a Barnes & Noble or BN.COM receipt for the featured book to enter the signing line. Copies will also be available on site the day of the event. We will begin distributing line passes at 5:00 pm on August 1, 2011."

Depending upon what folks are doing at Gordon B's, I am planning to try to get there at least an hour early to get my book and get in the line for passes (~4pm)...will get their earlier if the group determines a different schedule...

Squeeee!

Offline GraveyardKing

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2011, 05:04:53 PM »
I'm sure this already got posted, but I will post again just in case.  On the Tyson's Corner B&N website it says:

"Please note: You must present a Barnes & Noble or BN.COM receipt for the featured book to enter the signing line. Copies will also be available on site the day of the event. We will begin distributing line passes at 5:00 pm on August 1, 2011."

We HAVE to buy the book at B&N?  I already pre-ordered it from Amazon!

Offline Heartsonycgr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2011, 06:30:40 PM »
We HAVE to buy the book at B&N?  I already pre-ordered it from Amazon!

If it's any help for those who have not ordered the book yet, BNonline cost is only about $1 more than Amazon.... 

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2011, 07:17:57 PM »
I'm sure this already got posted, but I will post again just in case.  On the Tyson's Corner B&N website it says:

Depending upon what folks are doing at Gordon B's, I am planning to try to get there at least an hour early to get my book and get in the line for passes (~4pm)...will get their earlier if the group determines a different schedule...

Squeeee!

Wow.  I'll have to see if this rule holds for the other B&N signings, too...

ToddM326

« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2011, 08:08:59 PM »
Looks like I'm cancelling my Kindle order (and checking to see if the JB Store has a link to B&N.com).

http://store-locator.barnesandnoble.com/event/71396

Offline Toe-mas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2011, 08:59:02 PM »
Looks like I'm cancelling my Kindle order (and checking to see if the JB Store has a link to B&N.com).

http://store-locator.barnesandnoble.com/event/71396

Okay, now I'm getting confuzed...

If we need to buy a B&N copy of the book to get into the signing line, will they stop us from asking him to sign anything else?  I live almost 40 miles from the nearest B&N...  Require a minimum purchase of SOMETHING, that I could understand, but I've gotten burned by online shipping before (got First Lord's Fury 2 days late) and don't want to go through that on a new release, ESPECIALLY something we're all drooling over like Ghost Story...  Jim Butcher's books are the first I've ever bothered to go out and purchase for myself on release day. (the other Harry's last book was for my wife, not me, honest...)

Oh, before I forget:
Will there be a Q&A session?  If there is a Q&A will it be open to the public?

[sarcasm] Will the Q&A session require both a book purchase and the purchase of a venti mocha in their cafe? [/sarcasm]

Okay, now that I've vented my spleen all over the forum...  Deep breath...  Sorry about that...

I was thinking of getting a second copy (as a gift) but would they let me get BOTH signed? One purchased at B&N and one purchased somewhere else, ie. without B&N receipt? I've also got a copy of Our World signed by Priscellie, I wanted to get Jim's signature on that too...  (I know, 3 item limit. I wouldn't ask him to sign more than that anyway...)

Oh, did anyone else notice that Ghost Story already has a 4.5 Star rating and 109 reviews?

Offline Toe-mas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2011, 09:38:10 PM »
okay, I've calmed down a little.  Sorry about that.

I've decided its a $15 ticket to get in to the signing line, and they give me a free copy of the book...  Okay.

Offline kittenbot

• Conversationalist
  • kittenbot of doooooooom--is doomy.
    • View Profile
    • tweeter
« Reply #99 on: July 08, 2011, 12:26:18 AM »
i already pre-ordered mine. that kinda sucks. but maybe i'll buy another copy and get it signed for sumo.
and grasshoppers can't talk anyway, dammnit!

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 08, 2011, 01:49:42 AM »
Ooh, I'll definitely be there!  I'll try to get there early, too, to meet other forum members--I'll get off work at noon and will be coming from Alexandria.

Bummer about having to buy the book from B&N to get him to sign it.  Oh well, I *suppose* I can live with a Kindle copy and a physical copy...  :D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 02:21:19 AM by habu987 »
Lt. Commander Habu reporting for duty as the 1st Officer of the USS Hollyprise, Captain Dresden.

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Marine General "Chesty" Puller

DF Purity: 76.8% - Brute Squad

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2011, 08:01:16 PM »
I called them last month and discussed the rules for getting in the line and at the time they wern't sure what it would end up being.  We agreed that it would be best to wait until about 2 weeks out to call again and get better info, so I intend to wait until next week, and then I will post what I find out here.  Personally I will be ordering it on the nook, and I will check as to the best way to show to them that I got it through B&N that way, but I will be sure to discuss all other possible ways to get into the line with them for everyone else there.

If they insisted on a purchase at the store, I was going to ask if it was ok if I buy SF or DB there as my requisite purchase and then I would use them as my loaner copies when I try to hook someone on the series. 
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Heartsonycgr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2011, 08:32:21 PM »
If they insisted on a purchase at the store...

Their website says store OR BN.com so either should be fine. Since that's 'in writing' I think we can hold them to at least that...

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2011, 12:22:55 AM »
Their website says store OR BN.com so either should be fine. Since that's 'in writing' I think we can hold them to at least that...

Yah, I had thought that out before I read that here.  I was just showing the things I was hoping to propose to them...
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2011, 03:30:22 AM »
Well then, looks like I'll just get a copy for the library there as opposed to Amazon.