Linked Events

• Signing in Washington, D.C.: August 01, 2011

Author Topic: Signing in Washington D.C. (McLean, VA) on 8/1  (Read 63764 times)

Offline SkinsFanVJ

• Participant
  • 6/8/07 - Popped my Dresden Cherry!!
    • View Profile
Re: Signing in Washington D.C. (McLean, VA) on 8/1
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2011, 03:45:40 PM »
You're hired.  Will you accept payment in the form of a beer?

A man after me own heart...  :D

Once we get an accurate head count, probably early to mid-july, I will call around to see what our options are.  Its a Monday night, so I'm hopeful most places will be happy to take on a large group.

Offline kittenbot

• Conversationalist
  • kittenbot of doooooooom--is doomy.
    • View Profile
    • tweeter
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2011, 05:19:55 PM »
Will your boss let you leave early enough to join up for a forum meet and eat?

i don't know. it really depends on the mail tbh. we have hours until 12 and then i can leave when the mail gets here that day and just pick up the extra stuff i didn't do the next few days. in theory to tyson's it's about a 2 hour drive with traffic it could be more.  i'll need to figure out the exact address so i can cheat and gps it.
and grasshoppers can't talk anyway, dammnit!

Offline paul_Harkonen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2011, 10:06:09 PM »
I am also from the area and spend entirely too much time at that mall.  There's a really nice open meeting area just outside the B&N on the first floor between the Gordon Biersch, Coastal Flats, and another restaurant that just opened who's name escapes me at this moment.  The TGI Friday's is in the same area as the theater on the 3rd floor about 5 minutes walk from the B&N and is also next to a large open meeting area (although it tends to be filled with kids and their parents as there is a play area nearby) and one of the large food courts in the mall.  Both of those would be easy places to meet up and I am fairly sure that they wouldn't mind having us hang out and game for a bit as long as we are also buying food etc. (obviously calling to ask is a good idea).  After the signing, as has been mentioned, there are a large number of very good restaurants in the area (15 minute drive or less) including several in "Tysons II" which is a different mall just across the road. 

Short version, there's a lot of options, once a head count exists someone (it would appear to be SkinsFan since I'm not about to fight him\her for it) can call around and see which of the many places would be willing to work with us to hang out before and\or after the signing.  But the head count is probably the most important part.

Offline Aine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2011, 11:27:06 PM »
Maybe.  If I can get in some GMing practice between now and then, and if we can find a space for it.

I plan on asking the GM for the one-shot that I played at Dragon*Con last year...I feel comfortable either hosting it or having Gryph host it.  If you wanted to run another game, it looks like there are plenty of people interested in playing and plenty of spots in the mall.

Bought my plane tickets last night...ouch! Expensive to travel at the height of the summer season, now we have to decide if we're heading up to the Boston signing, too!!  :D

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
  • Overkill is Underrated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2011, 11:27:53 PM »

Bought my plane tickets last night...ouch! Expensive to travel at the height of the summer season, now we have to decide if we're heading up to the Boston signing, too!!  :D

Yes, you are. so there.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Offline Zheryl

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2011, 11:42:52 PM »
So I talked to one of the people at B&N, they haven't made any calls on how they will handle the line up for the signing and suggested calling back two weeks before hand.  I like the idea of playing in the area outside of the store, if anything interesting happens we shouldn't have to worry about missing something and accomodating extra people that show up shouldn't be an issue.  Also, it will most likely be a good place to meet up seeing as if someone is running late we don't have to risk tying up a table at a restaurant.  A late dinner or drinks after the signing would be awesome.  So if SFVJ wants to check around to see who will be staying open the latest that would cool.  If we do meet for a dinner before hand something light that we could eat in the open area outside the store will probably work best.  Thoughts?
The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2011, 12:11:48 AM »
So I talked to one of the people at B&N, they haven't made any calls on how they will handle the line up for the signing and suggested calling back two weeks before hand.  I like the idea of playing in the area outside of the store, if anything interesting happens we shouldn't have to worry about missing something and accomodating extra people that show up shouldn't be an issue.  Also, it will most likely be a good place to meet up seeing as if someone is running late we don't have to risk tying up a table at a restaurant.  A late dinner or drinks after the signing would be awesome.  So if SFVJ wants to check around to see who will be staying open the latest that would cool.  If we do meet for a dinner before hand something light that we could eat in the open area outside the store will probably work best.  Thoughts?

I think some of us (I'm undecided) intend to drive home that night and work the next day, which excludes them from doing something afterwords.  On the same note, a large number of us have every intention of showing up really early to beat the notorious traffic in the area, which makes socializing beforehand very likely.

BTW, the group shouldn't be hard to find since I know at least I will be dressed up as Harry, with staff and coat.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline kittenbot

• Conversationalist
  • kittenbot of doooooooom--is doomy.
    • View Profile
    • tweeter
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2011, 12:23:17 AM »
I think some of us (I'm undecided) intend to drive home that night and work the next day, which excludes them from doing something afterwords.  On the same note, a large number of us have every intention of showing up really early to beat the notorious traffic in the area, which makes socializing beforehand very likely.

BTW, the group shouldn't be hard to find since I know at least I will be dressed up as Harry, with staff and coat.

i'll have to leave after and go home. so i can work the next day.  and i'm not dressing up as mollz
and grasshoppers can't talk anyway, dammnit!

Offline Zheryl

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2011, 12:29:19 AM »

Spoiled sports!  If Harry can pull an all nighter why can't you? LOL!  I understand, those of us who want an after party can find somewhere to have some drinks, but before dining close would be cool.  Can I put a vote in now for Gordon B's?  I've never had their beer before, but always welcome and excuse to try a new brew.

Oh, and I'll be going as an out of shape Lara Raith.   ;D

i'll have to leave after and go home. so i can work the next day.  and i'm not dressing up as mollz

Why not?  Then all the guys could pretend they're Bob and the rest of us can get some amusement?

Offline GraveyardKing

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2011, 03:02:20 PM »
Considering that I've heard that Jim himself will change the rules if he doesn't like them I think we'll be OK.  Unless of course there is a "Rules Lawyer" in the group, then we may be in for some issues.  However, this is supposed to be a fun exciting day (centered around Harry) so hopefully no one will take themselves too seriously.  And if they do we should refer to them as "Morgan" for the duration.

Also, it looks like there will be quite a few of us.  When it gets a bit closer we might want to pick a restaurant and make some reservations.  Frankly, inspite of being in TCCII, I think Maggianos is looking really good.  Speaking of which, how many are in your group GK?

It's a little tenuous at this point, but it looks like it will at least be me and one other guy.  One of our players may or may not be in town during the event and another has only recently joined and made no comment.

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2011, 03:23:31 PM »
I plan on asking the GM for the one-shot that I played at Dragon*Con last year...I feel comfortable either hosting it or having Gryph host it.  If you wanted to run another game, it looks like there are plenty of people interested in playing and plenty of spots in the mall.

Fair enough.  I probably won't have time to polish my GM-ing skills by that point anyway. :P

Offline SkinsFanVJ

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
I am also from the area and spend entirely too much time at that mall.  There's a really nice open meeting area just outside the B&N on the first floor between the Gordon Biersch, Coastal Flats, and another restaurant that just opened who's name escapes me at this moment.  The TGI Friday's is in the same area as the theater on the 3rd floor about 5 minutes walk from the B&N and is also next to a large open meeting area (although it tends to be filled with kids and their parents as there is a play area nearby) and one of the large food courts in the mall.  Both of those would be easy places to meet up and I am fairly sure that they wouldn't mind having us hang out and game for a bit as long as we are also buying food etc. (obviously calling to ask is a good idea).  After the signing, as has been mentioned, there are a large number of very good restaurants in the area (15 minute drive or less) including several in "Tysons II" which is a different mall just across the road. 

Short version, there's a lot of options, once a head count exists someone (it would appear to be SkinsFan since I'm not about to fight him\her for it) can call around and see which of the many places would be willing to work with us to hang out before and\or after the signing.  But the head count is probably the most important part.

HIM.   :D

And by all means, if you are very familiar with Tysons, you can definitely take the reins.  When I volunteered it seemed like the vast majority of folks were out of towners so I just wanted them to have a local contact.  Although I live on 10 minutes from Tysons, I do my damned best to be nowhere near it cause of the traffic and legions of mallrats walkin around everywhere.

I am perfectly fine with taking a back seat and just offering my number to anyone needing last minute directions and a local contact.

Offline SkinsFanVJ

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2011, 03:29:34 PM »
Spoiled sports!  If Harry can pull an all nighter why can't you? LOL!  I understand, those of us who want an after party can find somewhere to have some drinks, but before dining close would be cool.  Can I put a vote in now for Gordon B's?  I've never had their beer before, but always welcome and excuse to try a new brew.

Oh, and I'll be going as an out of shape Lara Raith.   ;D

Why not?  Then all the guys could pretend they're Bob and the rest of us can get some amusement?

Zheryl - I like your idea of Gordon Biersch, its one of my favorite places in that area.  They make their own beer!!  I think it would be almost like going to Mac's before the signing.

Whats everyone elses thoughts on this?

Offline paul_Harkonen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2011, 07:13:13 PM »
HIM.   :D

And by all means, if you are very familiar with Tysons, you can definitely take the reins.  When I volunteered it seemed like the vast majority of folks were out of towners so I just wanted them to have a local contact.  Although I live on 10 minutes from Tysons, I do my damned best to be nowhere near it cause of the traffic and legions of mallrats walkin around everywhere.

I am perfectly fine with taking a back seat and just offering my number to anyone needing last minute directions and a local contact.

I live about the same distance away and have just about the same mentality about going anywhere near there if I don't have to.  But I think I just went and volunteered myself to organize didn't I?  Whoops...

I think that GB for like a very late lunch when people arrive and then heading across the hallway\whatever you call the main walkway in a mall, to B&N whenever they start setting up for the signing would work pretty well and be really easy.  I've never had anything to eat or drink there, but some of my friends have been there and said it was good.  Pretty much whatever we decide to do the most important thing is getting an accurate head count as soon as possible.

Offline Zheryl

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2011, 12:13:39 AM »
Oh! oh! oh!  Whomever ends up making the revervation (hopefully for Gordon B's, I really want to try the beer and since SFVJ also had the idea of pretending we're at Mac's all we need is for someone to third the motion) will you please make them under the name Harry Dresden?  Please please please?!?!!?  If no one else will, I'll do it!   ;D