Linked Events

• Signing in Washington, D.C.: August 01, 2011

Author Topic: Signing in Washington D.C. (McLean, VA) on 8/1  (Read 63249 times)

Offline kittenbot

• Conversationalist
  • kittenbot of doooooooom--is doomy.
    • View Profile
    • tweeter
Re: Signing in Washington D.C. (McLean, VA) on 8/1
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 01:14:15 AM »
ohh i suppose i should ask my boss if i can leave early to go. 

hey, kb, can i leave work early?
well, kb, i think that might be alright. can you get all your work done in time?
ofc, kb, that shouldn't be a problem in the slightest.
well, kb, then i think you can leave early.

yup. boss confirmed, i can leave early.

(i love being the boss)

and grasshoppers can't talk anyway, dammnit!

Offline Aine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 04:21:52 AM »
Waiting to see if there is a fare sale (like the one they just had) that can put me in DC for the signing at a reasonable price. Gryph only lives about 15 minutes from Tyson's Corner...we've been there a few times and never had trouble finding parking in the big parking garage at the mall. 

Unless someone else is closer and wants to do the legwork, I'll be happy to check around the next time I'm there (end of June) for a venue where we can meet and dine either pre- or post-signing.

Offline comprex

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 12:41:44 PM »
Waiting to see if there is a fare sale (like the one they just had) that can put me in DC for the signing at a reasonable price. Gryph only lives about 15 minutes from Tyson's Corner...we've been there a few times and never had trouble finding parking in the big parking garage at the mall.  

Parking should not be a problem.   The rush hour problems I refer to above are more of the "We are 3 miles away and there's no Metro to get there and traffic takes 20-25 minutes to cover 1 mile because all the traffic lights are saturated" type.      The trick to Tyson's Corner is to avoid Rte 7 and Rte 123 as much as you possibly can.   Use Gallows Road for access as much as you possibly can.

Unless someone else is closer and wants to do the legwork, I'll be happy to check around the next time I'm there (end of June) for a venue where we can meet and dine either pre- or post-signing.

Maggiano's is in Tysons II on the other side.  Family-service Italian-ish food with drinks available.  Taking that as a departure point of reference, do you want something closer to B&N?  Do you want something less formal?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 12:49:03 PM by comprex »

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 03:00:25 PM »
Maggiano's is in Tysons II on the other side.  Family-service Italian-ish food with drinks available.  Taking that as a departure point of reference, do you want something closer to B&N?  Do you want something less formal?

That describes what we did at Marscon rather nicely, and that restaurant worked rather well. 

As to distance, I don't have a reference as to how close the 2 are already... Personally I don't mind a walk, we should probably be showing up to the B&N early though.  In my mind 6ish.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Toe-mas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 04:36:19 PM »
That describes what we did at Marscon rather nicely, and that restaurant worked rather well. 

As to distance, I don't have a reference as to how close the 2 are already... Personally I don't mind a walk, we should probably be showing up to the B&N early though.  In my mind 6ish.

Would dinner be before or after?  I was planning on leaving work (across the river) around 2-3 and then wandering the mall for a few hours, or camping out.  Hadn't made up my mind yet.

Walking Map
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=2001+International+Dr+McLean,+VA+22102-4605&hl=en&geocode=FW3UUQIdG7ll-w%3BFfvrUQId6qNl-ykXlL0-7Eq2iTG2QsZcWmTZlg&mra=ltm&dirflg=w&sll=38.918727,-77.218641&sspn=0.014525,0.026114&ie=UTF8&ll=38.919253,-77.222922&spn=0.014524,0.026114&t=h&z=16

ToddM326

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 07:29:08 PM »
I'm definately attending!

Priscellie - Can you please remind us what Jim's "rules" are?  While the event is to promote "Ghost Story", but will he also sign his other books?

Everyone - If you have been to one of Jim's signings, should I be prepared to be there at 5:00pm or 6:00pm in order to be in the first 100 people in line?  Do his signings get more than 100 people?

Thank you.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 08:03:37 PM »
I'm definately attending!

Priscellie - Can you please remind us what Jim's "rules" are?  While the event is to promote "Ghost Story", but will he also sign his other books?

Everyone - If you have been to one of Jim's signings, should I be prepared to be there at 5:00pm or 6:00pm in order to be in the first 100 people in line?  Do his signings get more than 100 people?

Thank you.

Jim's rules:  
1.  Jim will only sign THREE ITEMS per person per time through the line.  If someone has more than three items, they can go back to the end of the line and--if the store hasn't shut down at that point--get Jim to sign the rest.
2.  Jim will not sign body parts that will get him in trouble with Shannon.
3.  Jim will happily sign anything he's written--Dresden, Alera, Spidey, Dresden graphic novels, and Alera maps are all welcome.
4.  Jim will not talk about Fight Club.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 08:05:08 PM by Priscellie »

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 09:16:31 PM »
Jim's rules:  
1.  Jim will only sign THREE ITEMS per person per time through the line.  If someone has more than three items, they can go back to the end of the line and--if the store hasn't shut down at that point--get Jim to sign the rest.
2.  Jim will not sign body parts that will get him in trouble with Shannon.
3.  Jim will happily sign anything he's written--Dresden, Alera, Spidey, Dresden graphic novels, and Alera maps are all welcome.
4.  Jim will not talk about Fight Club.

I burst out laughing
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Aine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2011, 09:28:30 PM »
Would dinner be before or after?  I was planning on leaving work (across the river) around 2-3 and then wandering the mall for a few hours, or camping out.  Hadn't made up my mind yet.

Walking Map Link

Looks like there is a Gordon Bierch and a Coastal Flats right there...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 09:31:01 PM by Aine »

Offline comprex

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2011, 09:53:31 PM »
Looks like there is a Gordon Bierch and a Coastal Flats right there...

There is also a Mexican place and an Italian grill.

Random anti-Tyson's rant page
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 10:03:30 PM by comprex »

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 05:17:37 PM »
Parking should not be a problem.   The rush hour problems I refer to above are more of the "We are 3 miles away and there's no Metro to get there and traffic takes 20-25 minutes to cover 1 mile because all the traffic lights are saturated" type.      The trick to Tyson's Corner is to avoid Rte 7 and Rte 123 as much as you possibly can.   Use Gallows Road for access as much as you possibly can.

When I make my travel plans in July I hope I can run them by you for more input.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Zheryl

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2011, 02:39:52 PM »
Hiya, I'm new to the world of Harry Dresden.  They are fantastic and I am frothing at the mouth in anticipation for Ghost Story.  My best bud and I will be making the trek from NC on the 1st for the signing and we like the idea of a group of people meeting up for lunch or dinner before hand and being able to talk to fellow enthusiasts. 

Maggiano's is a great idea for large groups, they have this family style dining and for about $30ea you pick 2 salads, 2 appetizers, 4 entrees and 2 desserts.  They will continue to bring you food until you tell them to stop.  It's heaven.   :)  There is also a PF Chang's, a Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant (we could pretend we're at Mac's, but it's a little too yuppyish), and Luciano Restaurant and Pizzeria (they've got coupons on their web-site for the fiscally challenged).  If these don't appeal there are a couple links below with lists of local restaurants. 

http://www.tysonscorner.com/tysons-corner-restaurants

http://www.shoptysons.com/Dining/Restaurants
The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault.

Offline GraveyardKing

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2011, 06:02:16 PM »
This is going to be so awesome.  So, I haven't been to any book signings, Jim or otherwise, but I'm definitely going to make it to this one.  No joke, I will gnaw off my own arm.  Anyway, I am new and I was thinking it would be pretty awesome to meet up with you other fans, so... is that cool?  Also, I'm going to try and drag my DFRPG group down there with me.

Offline Zheryl

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 12:08:29 AM »
This is going to be so awesome.  So, I haven't been to any book signings, Jim or otherwise, but I'm definitely going to make it to this one.  No joke, I will gnaw off my own arm.  Anyway, I am new and I was thinking it would be pretty awesome to meet up with you other fans, so... is that cool?  Also, I'm going to try and drag my DFRPG group down there with me.

GK, I hope to see you there.  I'd love a chance to pick someone's brain about the DFRPG.   :D Where are you comming from and when do you aim to arrive?
The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault.

Offline Aine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2011, 02:18:11 AM »
GK, I hope to see you there.  I'd love a chance to pick someone's brain about the DFRPG.   :D Where are you comming from and when do you aim to arrive?

Oh my!  Anyone interested in trying to do a one-shot while we're there?