Author Topic: Flavours of Sponsored Magic  (Read 3501 times)

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
Flavours of Sponsored Magic
« on: May 24, 2011, 01:11:01 AM »
As I mentioned in another thread, I have a character that will be coming in with a sponsor for magic that is a bit different from what is offered in the RAW. I also know that I've seen various threads and posts regarding the Spring and Autumn Courts, Erlking Sponsored Magic, Gard's Rune Magic, etc, and now I'm curious. . .

What sort of Sponsored Magic do you have in your game, and what sort of trappings have you used with it? Also, how was it used in game, not only from a mechanical perspective, but as an RP perspective?

--Crion
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Realities PBW restart
Re: Flavours of Sponsored Magic
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 06:16:11 AM »
In hangover city I have the fisher king who sponsors magic is "the boon of the fisher king"
It is derived from the wounds king style legend associated with that being (best known of which is the tail end of the Artherian legends)
It is focused around holding back the wasteland and revolves around inspiring creativity in mortals to push humanity to achieve their maximum potential. (There is a little bit of healing in there to)
He likes sending his followers on quests to test their metal and develop new skills. Also his followers can create magical items (using ritual or thaumatergy) to gift to others with out the normal negatives (as that is the most common thief skills are employed)

The flip side is that the fisher king is some what unhinged- and the in sites he gifts bring with them the touch of the same madness. It plays with the fine line between genius and insanity.
I would HATE to be a character in one of the stories I write -
and then there are the days when it looks too much like I AM!

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 02:02:13 PM »
in my game the baba yaga offered a player to be her sponsor. she didn't take up the offer, but that may change.

Offline Faithmage

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 02:44:20 PM »
In my game we we are trying a new flavor of Soulfire. It comes not from the WG but from the 4 archangles, and the scope of spells resembles the the ones assocaited with thier miracles from holy texts. The character in our game is An Agent of Gabriel, and as such his spells are more old testament fire and brimstone.

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 12:12:48 PM »
i added a new sponsor to my game: the genius loci of vienna.

it's mostly about signs and omens about what happens in the city, and is very helpful finding things in the city. it's prime agenda is the well-being of the city and it's habitants.

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 02:08:34 PM »
I was thinking of a version Sponsored by a Trickster god/spirit, instead of the standard thaumaturgy/evocation benefits, I was imaging True Glamour-style effects...

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 11:58:53 PM »
What sort of Sponsored Magic do you have in your game, and what sort of trappings have you used with it? Also, how was it used in game, not only from a mechanical perspective, but as an RP perspective?
One of my favorites is the Spirit of the City.  Possibly due to fond memories of Shadowrun...in any case, give the city a limited awareness and a purpose related to one or more of the themes.  Then get started on the "urban renewal" spells!   ;)
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Veet

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 04:40:27 AM »
I actually have a person sponsored by a prophecy in my game. I've kind of defined a prophecy in the game as an event that tries it's hardest to happen, this fits well with the method of making a prophecy an aspect and tagging it to get it to come true. A particular prophecy was integral to one of the characters and I put a spin on it that she wasn't expecting then told her if she wanted she could use it as a sponsor to add punch to her magic when acting in accordance with it and her debt will compel her to do things to make it happen.

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 02:58:18 PM »
I actually have a person sponsored by a prophecy in my game. I've kind of defined a prophecy in the game as an event that tries it's hardest to happen, this fits well with the method of making a prophecy an aspect and tagging it to get it to come true. A particular prophecy was integral to one of the characters and I put a spin on it that she wasn't expecting then told her if she wanted she could use it as a sponsor to add punch to her magic when acting in accordance with it and her debt will compel her to do things to make it happen.
Was the sponsored magic called the "Shades of David Eddings"?
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline CaptFisher

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 03:54:54 PM »
Our game has a Emissary of Fate high concept character, her sponsor is Mambalisa the voodoo Lao of Fate.  She is therefore a Fateomancer...her magic takes the form of curses and blessings and resembles coincidental magic from Mage. 

Ever seen a Denarian after being hit with a falling Hindu cow?  Not pretty
Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist, children know that monsters exist.
Fairy tales teach children that monsters, can be slain.

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 06:09:49 PM »
Ever seen a Denarian after being hit with a falling Hindu cow?  Not pretty
I gotta ask:
Was it the cow that jumped over the moon, or the herd shot 'round the world?  ;D

On a side note, I've got a mathematician NPC in my current game who is working on things such as probability theory, quantum mechanics and other such points... and who is Sponsored by Lady Luck.  As my players commented, "wait, so he's researching his patron?"
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 06:15:49 PM by bibliophile20 »
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 09:44:06 PM »
One of my favorites is the Spirit of the City.  Possibly due to fond memories of Shadowrun...in any case, give the city a limited awareness and a purpose related to one or more of the themes.  Then get started on the "urban renewal" spells!   ;)

I always loved Shadowrun's non-nature based spirits. I actually did a Deadlands character that was half-shaman/half-junker based on them all being variations of spirits like Shadowrun.

I also did a variation on soulfire where the character had direct and unbiased access to the fires of creation (instead of using her own soul and using it through the filter of magic like someone we know). It was interesting.

Ever seen a Denarian after being hit with a falling Hindu cow?  Not pretty

My question is how do we know the cow was Hindu? Was it practicing just before it got dropped on the Denarian?

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 12:12:22 AM »
My question is how do we know the cow was Hindu? Was it practicing just before it got dropped on the Denarian?

Declarations, of course!

They probably wanted it to be "holy" in some sense.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 12:27:35 AM »
i was gonna give a "guardian of a place" sponsored magic to a player. varying levels of strength and toughness and dominion over affiliated things depending on physical proximity.

Offline CaptFisher

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 02:05:25 AM »
I gotta ask:
Was it the cow that jumped over the moon, or the herd shot 'round the world?  ;D

That is a long story but back when i was playing Mage a real story in Russia happened a cow dropped from a plane and sunk a boat...we knew it had to be magic, and it was in the paper so coincidental magic at that...we never got to use it then.
Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist, children know that monsters exist.
Fairy tales teach children that monsters, can be slain.