Author Topic: Max number of people in a zone?  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Realities PBW restart
Re: Max number of people in a zone?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 06:52:30 PM »
Maab freezes D10 enemies each turn
Nah. Maab freezes all of you.
If she hasn't frozen you its because she has thought of some far more amusing fate for you instead.

Or as The Dodd is fond of saying. "Go on, run. You'll just die tired."

I never stat my major NPCs. I just give their motivations as clues as to what they might be willing to negotiate on. It's one of the reasons I like Fate, you can run a character that is _just_ a set of aspects.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 08:11:12 PM by Team8Mum »
I would HATE to be a character in one of the stories I write -
and then there are the days when it looks too much like I AM!

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 07:05:26 PM »
I generally assume that any given exchange will involve a bit of movement that doesn't cross zone boundaries. So that would make it a lot easier for crowds to attack.

Also, it would not be unreasonable for Tsunami's character in the PbP game I GM to go up against 100 zombies. The question is, how many zone-wide attacks do you need to de-animate them all? And how many of them can mob you at once?

So this isn't purely theoretical.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 03:14:48 PM »
Zone definitions are left to the GM.  If the GM says the zone is big enough to fit 200 fighting vamps, then it is.  And if so, the 200 vamps would be able to punch each other freely ... or punch the non-vamp in the middle.  And conversely, the non-vamp in the middle could use a zone attack on all of them, too.

That said, I think that the combat would work a lot better if things were more spread out, zone-wise.  While half a parking lot might be a reasonable zone some times, perhaps the lot needs to be divided down into smaller sections to handle a horde of vamps attacking.  If you need justification, perhaps a knot of ten or so vamps constitutes enough of an impediment to movement that it creates it's own boundary?

Note that this wouldn't prevent the vamps from ganging up on the defender.  They'd just need to find improvised thrown weapons so that they could attack from the adjacent zones...