Author Topic: Anti-Magic Items  (Read 2163 times)

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
  • "Don't. Mess. With. Librarians."
    • View Profile
Anti-Magic Items
« on: May 10, 2011, 08:48:43 PM »
Hello everyone!

I've been re-reading the books as of late (mostly prepping for Ghost Story to come out, partly for a short mini-campaign I have in mind), and something has crossed my mind: items that counter spells.

We all know how a Warden's Sword works in countering magic or cutting through a spell, so that isn't the concern here. I'm thinking more of the armor the Sidhe Knights (in particular, Talos) were in Summer Knight that simply knocks away spells. Or from the short story The Warrior,
(click to show/hide)

There may be other items, but these are the first that come to mind.

So now I have to wonder: what methods would you use for these? Would you set them up as Potions (one-shot items), as Enchanted Items (set amount of counterspell a number of times per session), or would you sum it up as an Item of Power? If it is an IoP, how would you scale the costs?

--Crion[/color]
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 12:24:21 PM by Crion »
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Anti-Magic Items
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 08:54:47 PM »
I think the high shide have immunity against mortal magic, if it is the armor, it is an IoP, of course.

An amulet or a talisman should possibly be an enchanted item or a potion that puts up a block against hostile magic by the usual rules.

I would not set them up as a counterspell, because those are for interrupting long term magical effects rather than evocation attacks.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 12:00:07 AM »
I think the high shide have immunity against mortal magic, if it is the armor, it is an IoP, of course.

An amulet or a talisman should possibly be an enchanted item or a potion that puts up a block against hostile magic by the usual rules.

I would not set them up as a counterspell, because those are for interrupting long term magical effects rather than evocation attacks.

I agree with respect to the item mentioned from Warrior, the easiest way to 'model' something like that, is as a potion, a single-use item which after being used (successfully or not...) is consumed depending on the number of uses it is assigned.  When it is used, it would put up a Block of strength X, depending on the crafter's Lore skill, any Crafting focus items used as well as Refinements.

The one area where others might not agree with me on, is that I would have the item set to 'automatically' Block cast magic, as opposed to something which the wearer has to trigger.  Or at least that was my impression of what happened in the short story.

-Cheers
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5:

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 10:05:02 AM »
Remember that you can also (occasionally, and maybe at the cost of a fate point) make use of skills completely beyond their normal trappings.  So, for example, we could try to use resources or contacts to defend against a magical attack, with the justification being that we bought/got some sort of defensive item form someone.

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 12:27:55 PM »
I agree with respect to the item mentioned from Warrior, the easiest way to 'model' something like that, is as a potion, a single-use item which after being used (successfully or not...) is consumed depending on the number of uses it is assigned.  When it is used, it would put up a Block of strength X, depending on the crafter's Lore skill, any Crafting focus items used as well as Refinements.

The one area where others might not agree with me on, is that I would have the item set to 'automatically' Block cast magic, as opposed to something which the wearer has to trigger.  Or at least that was my impression of what happened in the short story.

-Cheers

I figured it would work as a potion, but wasn't certain if the "always on until it does its job" was the best way to go with it. Then again, that is what a Talisman does, after all.

Remember that you can also (occasionally, and maybe at the cost of a fate point) make use of skills completely beyond their normal trappings.  So, for example, we could try to use resources or contacts to defend against a magical attack, with the justification being that we bought/got some sort of defensive item form someone.

This one completely slipped my mind. Thanks for the note on that! I'll need to keep that in mind as I run this.

Anyone here ever make an IoP that blocks magic? If so, how did you scale that?
"Smilies exist because no one has bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic
"I don't care about whose DNA has recombined with whose. When everything goes to hell, the people who stand by you without flinching--they are your family." Harry Dresden

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 04:59:05 PM »
I'm trying to come up with tech that fizzles magic.  One-shot items that absorb magic then get fried.

Offline Bottom The Weaver

• Participant
  • Oh what an ass am I.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 05:54:34 PM »
I'm trying to come up with tech that fizzles magic.  One-shot items that absorb magic then get fried.

I imagine something made of iron or steel would suffice for deflecting faerie magic. A small shield might be enough for a moderate amount of energy.
"What fools these mortals be." - Billy Shakes

Offline Cyberchihuahua

• Conversationalist
  • Lft. WMC_Cyberchihuahua
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 04:13:16 AM »
Something with quartz crystal and an intricate web of copper binding it would be a neat anti-comm device. (Potion)

A bell made out of cold iron might disrupt Fae magic. That one was used on an episode of Gargoyles. (Enchanted item)

Something like the Thorn Manacles Harry was in during PG would probably have to be a (cheap) Item of Power, since they would effectivly be always on.

You might allow a Focus Item to grant its bonus to a theme instead of an element. For example, a lens that grants its bonus to piercing veils. (Or do the rules already allow that?)
Moo!

DV Cyberchihuahua V1.2 YR5 FR4 BK++ RP++ JB- TH+ WG++ CL SW+ BC- MC---- SH [Murphy++]   currently...

No Changes, know peace! Know Changes, no peace!

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 01:17:41 PM »
Something like the Thorn Manacles Harry was in during PG would probably have to be a (cheap) Item of Power, since they would effectivly be always on.

This is the kind of idea I am looking at: how would you scale and price something like this?

With something like Thorn Manacles, you'd need to do the equivalent of a 10+shift block against magic that is always on. Also, with something like a suit of armor to deflect spells, what sort of price would you put on it?

--Crion

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 01:30:45 PM »
Thorn Manacles can be done as a magical block or grapple at the original crafter's Craftsmanship+2, just like Incite Emotion can do blocks at Deceit or Intimidate +2. After all, the manacles work by inciting pain to disrupt concentration, not an actual block that prevents the bound wizard from drawing in magic. Assuming a craftmanship of Superb, they'd provide an Epic (+7) block, more than enough to block Harry Dresden without his Foci. They'd cost -1 refresh as an Item of Power.

A spell-repellent mail confers Physical Immunity to Mortal Magic. That's -3 refresh. Adding a +2 rebate (if the item is obvious) or +1 rebate (if it can be hidden), it comes down to -1 or -2 refresh. That would only block direct attacks though, not maneuvers.

Something like Lord Raith's magic immunity would require a major threshold effect on himself. A Legendary threshold would outright stop the vast majority of magic and cut off thaumaturgy that didn't have a piece of him or his Name for sympathetic link as thresholds are magical borders. That kind of ability would cost -6 to -7 for a Legendary Threshold and would require either Outsider powers or the individual in question to contain lots of Mordite.

Offline Crion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 01:54:12 PM »
Something like Lord Raith's magic immunity would require a major threshold effect on himself. A Legendary threshold would outright stop the vast majority of magic and cut off thaumaturgy that didn't have a piece of him or his Name for sympathetic link as thresholds are magical borders. That kind of ability would cost -6 to -7 for a Legendary Threshold and would require either Outsider powers or the individual in question to contain lots of Mordite.

Thanks for the data on this one, Belial!

Speaking of WCVs, wasn't there an anti-magic item used by one of the vamps in White Night? My brain is a bit fuzzy on that one.

--Crion

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 10:28:35 PM »
That one is on one of the books, I think. So is Lord Talos' spell-repellent mail.