Author Topic: Any new sponsored summoning magic?  (Read 976 times)

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Any new sponsored summoning magic?
« on: May 12, 2011, 04:01:30 AM »
Hello all,

I was looking at the Sunlight summoning spell thread and people were mentioning that this would be conjuring/summoning. 

So I was wondering if anyone had made a Sponsored magic that allows you to summon or conjure material, with the Evocation's method and Speed.  I was thinking this could be an interesting change to my magic.

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
Re: Any new sponsored summoning magic?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 05:07:41 AM »
Sponsored magic allows a character with it to potentially cast Thaumaturgy with the speed of Evocation, depending on the nature of the Sponsor and type of effect the Thaumaturgy would have.

As an example of Sponsored Magic from YS, Kemmlerian Necromancy allows a character with it to cast Necromantic or Neuromancy/Psychomancy ritual spells with the speed of Evocation.  This form of sponsored magic in particular can get 'interesting' since a caster could let loose with a 5 shift mental attack, which would not be hindered by most standard block spells and on a successful hit would basically force either a taken out effect, or a character to start taking consequences.  Not to mention adding to the mental stress track which would negatively impact an enemy caster.  Not that I would ever write a one-shot con game where players would encounter this... ;)

Actually, for something like a Sunlight spell, Seelie Magic would be an appropriate Sponsor in my opinion, being associated with light, warmth and growth.

Remember, Sponsored Magic is basically a theme of magic where an outside element/power/something augments the magic, as long as it is appropriate thematically with whoever/whatever the Sponsor is.  If you want to have some things start to get really wild, have someone with site specific Sponsored magic from a genus loci.

-Cheers
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5:

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 05:16:16 AM »
I made a Sponsored Magic that let you use Summoning/Binding at the speed of evocation for a guy based off of the Overlord games, and it worked quite well.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 05:28:11 AM »
Well that serves me right, for never reading the places of power sponsored magic section, I always thought it was to limited because you couldn't take it with you.  Although I wish it was a lot more clear on how to balance it out as its kind of vague unlike Summer/Winter magic or even Soul Fire.