Author Topic: Crafting Poison  (Read 2899 times)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Crafting Poison
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 12:59:20 PM »
Preventing a character from rolling to remove a maneuver would require, at the least, repeated compels not to do so.
So unless the GM is willing to escalate such compels nigh infinitely, then a character with an Endurance of Average (to Good) or above WILL break out of the 'Living Death'-induced 'torpor' well before it runs its course.

Frankly, though, I really don't think 'torpor' is an appropriate aspect to be placing with a mere maneuver.  Maneuvers are supposed to impose temporary, inconveniencing aspects, not effectively-permanent incapacitating aspects.
You want to put someone into 'torpor' for the remainder of their life (barring specific circumstances)?  Use an extreme consequence.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 06:57:28 PM »
You want to put someone into 'torpor' for the remainder of their life (barring specific circumstances)?  Use an extreme consequence.

Which is why I suggested a total takeout for the effect - and the second version uses it.  The 26-shift attack apple does that.  I'm not sure about the lack of a duration on that spell...  Since it ends (unlike flesh to stone) I think it needs one.

Either way this shows how powerful some fairy tale witches were.

Richard

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 07:27:09 PM »
The hundred years spell didn't end because a hundred years were up. it ended in the orginal fairy tale because a prince found an attractive young female and decided to uhm well you get my drift and she was woken up be pregnancy 9 months later.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 08:57:26 PM »
I'd heard about that ending, but most of the versions I had heard had the sleep ending while he was waking her up...

But that is an interesting way of ending a spell - the spell only has enough power to affect one person.  A quick roll in hay and nine months later it has to affect two people at once - overpowering and ending the spell.

Richard

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 10:01:03 PM »
Which is why I suggested a total takeout for the effect - and the second version uses it.  The 26-shift attack apple does that.

Which is why my comments were in relation to Belial's first example.

I'm not sure about the lack of a duration on that spell...  Since it ends (unlike flesh to stone) I think it needs one.

Either way this shows how powerful some fairy tale witches were.

Richard

It's duration is the duration of the consequences it produces, unless it succeeds in taking out the target, at which point duration becomes almost wholly negotiable.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough