Author Topic: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)  (Read 163446 times)

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2011, 06:22:29 AM »
I tested out Rapid Strikes last night. 

Against an opponent of similar refresh, it is very, very weak.

Even with a high weapon value, the fact that the defender gets to defend twice with his/her full defensive bonus just makes this power severely underwhelming.

Against the same opponent, using all the tags/invokes I could muster, one attack was highly superior to the rapid strikes attack.  I think if it didn't require a fate point to activate, it would be about right power-wise.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2011, 02:45:36 PM »
The revised list is here. So, we've gotten rid of the stuff that we really didn't need.
We may still have to eliminate some powers (Displacement, Focused Mastery, Kulan-Do and Rapid Strike seem to be the most likely to be removed) but I think we've gotten rid of the real deadwood. I think everything on the list right now is at least balance-able, if not balanced.

What was the verdict on my revision of Displacement?
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2011, 01:45:48 AM »
I'm glad to hear that about Rapid Strike. Underpowered is much better than the opposite.

As for Displacement, I don't believe there ever was a real verdict. Truth is, I still don't really like it. Powers usually shouldn't just add to skills in my opinion, and I try to avoid the introduction of accuracy-boosting powers whenever possible.

That being said, I like the way that it lets you retain some of your defense when ambushes. And the idea is pretty cool, too. I think it might work better if it provided a constant block against attacks. So it would protect you from low defence rolls. Plus, an upgrade could simulate invisibility by letting the block work against perception. I dunno how to simulate blinking or the other offensive benefits.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2011, 02:57:30 AM »
As for Displacement, I don't believe there ever was a real verdict. Truth is, I still don't really like it. Powers usually shouldn't just add to skills in my opinion, and I try to avoid the introduction of accuracy-boosting powers whenever possible.

Thank you - that's the kind of spur I needed to reframe the power. Should I perhaps reframe it as a variant of the Speed powers?

Until then, how does this updated version look?

Displacement [-1]
Description: You are not where you appear to be. A glamor or other optical effect obscures your true location, making it difficult for opponents to properly target you.
Musts: You must have a high concept that would justify this power, such as Cloaked Malk, or Nevernever Mugger, or at the very least be something other than a Pure Mortal.
Skills Affected: Fists, Guns, Weapons.
Effects:
Missed Me, Missed Me. You are under the constant effect of a Armor:2 against all attacks. This does not require your attention or concentration: should you be successfully ambushed, this bonus will remain. This is an optical effect, and can be ignored by an opponent using The Sight or another appropriate Supernatural Sense.
Enhanced Displacement [-1]. Your protection is upgraded to a Armor:4 against all attacks.
Invisibility [-1]. You are effectively invisible, protected at all times by a Veil of a Strength equal to your Displacement (the Sight is an appropriate countermeasure).

Blinking [-1]. When you purchase this upgrade, your power is not an optical effect: you are actually changing positions rapidly during combat, by stepping back and forth between the Nevernever and the real world. However, anyone who can simultaneously perceive the real world and the Nevernever is immune to this effect (the Sight is an appropriate countermeasure). This cannot be purchased in conjunction with Invisibility.
What Wall? With the Blinking upgrade, you are able to pass through most walls and physical barriers, reducing borders (page 212) by the amount of your Displacement value. Thresholds (page 230), however, will act as physical barriers to you. You can still be harmed by physical attacks.
What Bonds? With the Blinking upgrade, you reduce Physical Blocks and Grapples by the amount of your Displacement value.

Note: it will be up to the GM how to handle any complications of the Nevernever aspect of Blinking. The simplest answer is that Blinking creates a sort of proto-Demesne wherever it happens to be, which does not in itself attract (or make it vulnerable to) any of the Nevernever denizens which may be coterminous with that current location.

Edit: modified "Blink Maneuvering"
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 02:10:40 AM by devonapple »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2011, 08:54:51 PM »
Looks good, except that I can't tell how Blink Maneuvering is supposed to work. I don't even know if you can block defence by the RAW (not that it should stop us if you can't).

Wouldn't go with a Speed reframe, this is more interesting. Maybe allow another upgrade that lets you apply your dodge bonus from Speed to the block strength.

PS: Congratulations on becoming an elite poster. I saved a screenshot.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2011, 09:20:13 PM »
Looks good, except that I can't tell how Blink Maneuvering is supposed to work. I don't even know if you can block defence by the RAW (not that it should stop us if you can't).

The way I thought it could work is:
1. Blink Creature takes a Supplemental Action to roll its Athletics-1 (supplemental).
2. Target creature rolls Alertness.
3. Compare the rolls: if the Blink Creature's roll exceeds the target's roll, then the shifts generated become a Block against the target's defense for that attack.
4. Blink Creature rolls attack Fists-1 (supplemental).
5. Target creature rolls defense Athletics, but suffers a Block:X against that Athletics roll.
6. Determine outcome of attack.

I'm not sure whether we want to explicitly state what the blocking skill (Athletics in this case) or its defense is (Alertness, in this case), or leave that up to the GM to decide case-by-case.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2011, 03:08:32 AM »
Step 5 gives me trouble. Suppose an attack has accuracy 3. It's supported by a block of strength 5 against defence. Defender rolls 4. What now? What if he rolls 5 instead?

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2011, 03:30:30 AM »
Step 5 gives me trouble. Suppose an attack has accuracy 3. It's supported by a block of strength 5 against defence. Defender rolls 4. What now? What if he rolls 5 instead?

I think it would be:
Defender rolls 4 (total) which becomes -1 (after Block 5): attack gets through with 4 shifts
Defender rolls 5 (total) which becomes 0 (after Block 5): attack gets through with 3 shifts
Defender rolls 6 (total) which becomes 1 (after Block 5): attack gets through with 2 shifts
Defender rolls 7 (total) which becomes 2 (after Block 5): attack gets through with 1 shifts
Defender rolls 8 (total) which becomes 3 (after Block 5): attack gets through with 0 shifts (dealing only weapon damage)
Defender rolls 9 (total) which becomes 4 (after Block 5): attack misses

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2011, 01:36:03 AM »
I don't think that's a good idea at all. Too different from a normal block, and more importantly way too powerful. That's a pretty huge penalty to inflict.

Maybe Blinking could help with bypassing physical blocks and escaping grapples. I doubt that a wrestler or a brick wall matters much to someone who's intangible half the time.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2011, 01:39:45 AM »
I don't think that's a good idea at all. Too different from a normal block, and more importantly way too powerful. That's a pretty huge penalty to inflict.

Right, I'll nuke it.

Maybe Blinking could help with bypassing physical blocks and escaping grapples. I doubt that a wrestler or a brick wall matters much to someone who's intangible half the time.

The Spirit Form "Insubstantial" power may be a good thing to adapt. I have updated the most recent version rather than retype it.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 02:11:02 AM by devonapple »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2011, 08:27:44 PM »
Alright, no further whining. It's a great big screw-you to grapplers, which bugs me not at all. Situational defense powers tend to be like that. (You can get Mythic Toughness against magic for 1 refresh).

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2011, 08:39:27 PM »
Alright, no further whining. It's a great big screw-you to grapplers, which bugs me not at all. Situational defense powers tend to be like that. (You can get Mythic Toughness against magic for 1 refresh).

I just realized a way to make it less munchkiny - add that the Armor doesn't work against area, "Zonewide" attacks. How does that sound? Does that make the power too weak?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2011, 09:18:47 PM »
Wait, armour?

I thought it was a block.

I liked it as a block. Why'd you change it?

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #88 on: May 26, 2011, 09:38:17 PM »
Wait, armour?

I thought it was a block.

I liked it as a block. Why'd you change it?

A Block can be overcome. Do you think it should go back to being a Block again?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2011, 02:48:26 AM »
Actually, yes.

A block is less powerful, more interesting, and most importantly more unique. Also, it fits better with the Invisibility upgrade.

I pictured this power mainly being useful against ambushes and with extremely low defence rolls. Like this, it's just generically awesome for all combatants. Maybe too awesome.

Hm. You know, I feel a bit bad about this constant criticism. So I'll throw in an honest compliment: you have a very good attitude about this. I'd be pretty annoyed at me if I were in your shoes, after this lengthy procedure.