Author Topic: Your Craziest Concepts  (Read 15729 times)

Offline tymire

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Your Craziest Concepts
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
Anti-Tank Weaponry is literally weapons for the purpose of piercing Heavy Armour, blasts of force won't do it, lightning, fire or energy attacks in general won't do it. What does do it are large munition armor piercing rounds, and similar military grade equipment. So for the most part I should be fine unless I end up on the opposite end of AMBOSS or a similar agency.

Just remember this also could be anything over say weapon 4...  And LOTS of things can hit harder than that phsyically.  Now it does make sense from a space marine aspect or they really wouldn't be afraid of little things like tyranids.  Also could argue that some types of flame, cold, and lighting can also bypass it.  Main thing is to make sure both you and your DM are on the same page of what qualifies as a anti-tank weapon.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2011, 08:39:01 PM »
Just remember this also could be anything over say weapon 4...  And LOTS of things can hit harder than that phsyically.  Now it does make sense from a space marine aspect or they really wouldn't be afraid of little things like tyranids.  Also could argue that some types of flame, cold, and lighting can also bypass it.  Main thing is to make sure both you and your DM are on the same page of what qualifies as a anti-tank weapon.

a .50 bmg is a weapon 4 and won't touch space marine armor.

A weapon 6 water evocation isn't going to hamper a space marine much either.

A SABO round shot out of a tank... that is another matter entirely.

A SABO round is probably a weapon 6, but it's purpose is to penetrate armor - that is what it does.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline tymire

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2011, 08:51:13 PM »
Ahhh but if the weapon 6 water evoc attack actually doesn't work as a blugeoning force but tries to drown him, or is acid where it attacks parts that are not covered, or isn't water at all and uses the "other aspects" of water.

What I am trying to say is that remember he is planning on using this in a refresh 18/19 game, you really shouldn't assume that your enemies won't have stuff that can destroy tanks at that level.

And sorry it's not like space marines are actually scared of tyranids, its just that those fights are not completely one sided.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2011, 09:22:44 PM »
Ahhh but if the weapon 6 water evoc attack actually doesn't work as a blugeoning force but tries to drown him, or is acid where it attacks parts that are not covered, or isn't water at all and uses the "other aspects" of water.

What I am trying to say is that remember he is planning on using this in a refresh 18/19 game, you really shouldn't assume that your enemies won't have stuff that can destroy tanks at that level.

And sorry it's not like space marines are actually scared of tyranids, its just that those fights are not completely one sided.

Acid would probably do the trick - especially if the space marine in question is not wearing a helmet.

As for assumption... well, nothing is assumed.  The description of a weapon is pretty much pretty straight forward.

Obviously a lot of this is up to a GM.  Like, if I were GMing a game, I would rule that an 18 wheeler traveling at 60 mph and hitting a space marine in front of a wall, while not an AP round, would still satisfy the catch for the space marine in armor.  It's just a tremendous amount of force.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Necromancer Patch

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2011, 11:41:19 PM »
1) Chatuluka "Patch" Month Paki

An African focused practitioner capable of sensing and controlling dead material. Abilities which have slowly killed him over the course of his life until he became a living corpse not unlike the Black Court or a zombie. He's on the run from his home country after a tragedy that struck down his entire family, including his beloved sister leaving him mentally scarred and very close to lawbreaking to resurrect her. His personality, in short, is a masochistic, macabre researcher of the necromantic - with abilities that allow him to take dire hits and keep on ticking.

To add in a bit more weirdness, I'd give him human guise and make him a complete export from the original, an anthropomorphic golden jackal.

2) Kalm

A fey hydromancer from the Faerie Court of Blood (going on the same lore that invented D&D Sun Elves/Blood Elves). With human guise that only lasts while he isn't using his magic. His true form can be described as an extremely predatory humanoid with a too big mouth, too many teeth, purple skin and extremely elongated limbs and digits. His focus item for evocation is set of robes sewn with waterproof pockets all over, carrying a few gallons of water around with him into combat, which he then uses with his magic to fight with water tendrils and in the case of defense, freeze the water in the pockets for a full-body defense. Granted, it's a very obvious focus item and difficult to carry everywhere. I've been thinking of making it a double layer, one layer that can be concealed by clothing, and another layer that goes over. Each providing a small bonus instead of one big bonus.

A very shamanistic soul, on the run from his own court's beliefs of preying on mortals for sacrificial power.

3) Illusionist Dendra

This one uses a custom power I haven't actually made, but it's necessary.

This character is two people bound so close together, their power acts in unison. Mr. and Mrs. Balsa and Hazel Daithi. The way it works is they are two practitioners whose power cannot be used unless they are together in the same zone. Their specialty is spirit magic in the form of illusions and force. They got the nickname Dendra from enemies who believe them to be a single entity. They're also both a little touched in the head, which further explains how they became so close.

If I made them, they'd share aspects and wizardry stats. With the catch being they had to be together to perform workings. A little complicated given they're two separate entities on the mat, but you did say craziest concepts.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2011, 12:02:46 AM »
I have some crazy idea over another all the time, sadly though, most of them vanish pretty much five minutes later, only leaving the taste of a great idea lost in the void behind.

Some things stay, and though I have not worked them out, I still like them, and am probably going to use them eventually.

Fallen Forgiven
First there is the idea of a Fallen Angel that resides inside a huge and very old church, like europe old. there is one in particular I like for this, because it is pretty close to where I live: clicky. The Fallen Angel is not exactly good, but inside the church he sees the error of his ways and tries to redeem himself. Some of the clerics know about him, and they try to help him achieve his goal. The biggest problem for him though is, that he can never leave the church before he is fully redeemed, because his darker nature would take over again, without being on holy ground. He would be a great face for a faction inside a city, I think.

Terrible Twosome
Another idea came to me, when I listened to WN again the other day, especially the terrible twosome, the twin trainees in camp kaboom. Twin brother wardens with the power "twin instincts". It is basically pack instincts for the two of them, making them a pretty effective team in the field. Maybe even allowing them to share backlash, if one of them needs to. They are pretty much at the same time one and two persons, that should make them able to do all kinds of magic. I generally like the idea of twins+magic very much, there is a lot to play around with.

Ghost Girl
Then there is a Dr Who inspired idea. There are a few episodes in the new series, that involve creepy children, and I loved them. My idea was that of a strongly gifted girl who was in a coma due to an accident (or possibly a mob shoot out to get more story hooks in). Her power manifested while she was still in the coma, granting her the ability of astral projection. Kind of creating a ghost impression upon her death, but after getting reanimated, she went inside her ghost body instead her real body. She now appears randomly(or is it?) in town asking those who can see her for help.

Yesterday's Year (was "The Year that wasn't", but the others all made for neat alliterations, and who am I to stand in the way of poetry?)
This is a story often told, I know of at least two tv shows that have done so (Startrek Voyager and again the new Dr Who), but there are possibly a lot more. The idea is, that pretty much everything goes down and it goes down hard. Imagine cowl finishing the darkhallow, and the year that might follow. The characters are chased, beaten down, holding on by the skin of their teeth, and after one year of hell, the opportunity arises to rewind that whole year as if nothing happened.
I am pretty torn on this one myself, because you either have to tell your players about your intentions from the get go or you keep it a secret. If you tell them, they might shrug every major event of as "it's not going to have happened" (I'm sorry, I'm not sure I could even work out the right grammar in german for this). On the other hand, if you don't tell them, they might get pretty angry and frustrated, when you trash everything right in front of them, without anything they could do about it.
Oh yeah, and there is the whole Timetravel-Lawbreaker thing. But hey, that year should be bad enough to make them want to break every single law without hesitating. Twice.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2011, 12:22:16 AM »
I have a pair of NPCs - identical twins - who can translocate between themselves (like the twin boys in "Jekyll"), and until recently, generally did so at will. One of them started dating a disreputable boyfriend and started resisting her sister's translocations, and was soon thereafter abducted by Evil Masons who needed their reality-defying quantum entanglement as part of an Outsider Summoning ritual.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2011, 12:33:27 AM »
a .50 bmg is a weapon 4 and won't touch space marine armor.

A weapon 6 water evocation isn't going to hamper a space marine much either.

A SABO round shot out of a tank... that is another matter entirely.

A SABO round is probably a weapon 6, but it's purpose is to penetrate armor - that is what it does.
A .50 BMG SLAP may work.

A Weapon 6 water evocation could be a water jet cutter.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2011, 01:42:23 AM »
A .50 BMG SLAP may work.

A Weapon 6 water evocation could be a water jet cutter.

Point conceded.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2011, 02:00:33 AM »
what powers the Space Marines Armor?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2011, 02:07:04 AM »
reality-defying quantum entanglement

I think I have a new favorite phrase :)

The idea is great. One question though: do they know (like a six sense or rather a set of tele-senses, channeling their twins sensations), what they will translocate into or is it always a surprise? Could certainly account for some awkwardness. Even without any outsider summoning.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2011, 07:55:47 AM »
I think I have a new favorite phrase :)

The idea is great. One question though: do they know (like a six sense or rather a set of tele-senses, channeling their twins sensations), what they will translocate into or is it always a surprise? Could certainly account for some awkwardness. Even without any outsider summoning.

Complete surprise, generally. Which was fun when they were kids, and they could use it for capers, but part of their drama was that they grew up, and it became more of a nuisance than a boon.

Their Destiny is to assist with an important evacuation, teleporting victims with them as they switch back and forth between danger and dropping them off into safety, so it is good that the PCs saved them. One will probably fall that day unless the PCs are there in the eye of the storm.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Peteman

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2011, 11:17:05 AM »
Supernatural Martial Artist:

It uses the wereform as a basis for the template, but you can take Toughness Powers in addition to Speed and Strength and you can't take any animal power. I'm wondering if skill shuffling could be included (I would probably restrict Fists and Discipline, and make them the max).

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2011, 01:12:17 PM »
A catch should be something people must find, not have at hand. If every attack above a certain weapon rating ignores the toughness, the marine is in trouble; at those levels pretty much everyone has weapon rating 6 or greater. For example, my character from the same game is a sorceress throwing around Weapon 16 spells; she can sink battleships, let alone take out tanks. That doesn't mean her spells are especially effective against armor so as to satisfy the catch of "armor-piercing weaponry". She simply puts so much power into them that even with the toughness counting, the heavily armored targets in question are still blasted apart.

It's the difference between a tank facing a really big but fairly normal bomb and a much smaller antitank shell. The bomb will need huge amounts of explosive to blast through tank armor because tank armor nowadays is equivalent to a yard of steel. The antitank round will pierce the armor and blast the tank apart from the inside with more than an order of magnitude less force.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2011, 01:20:07 PM »
A catch should be something people must find, not have at hand. If every attack above a certain weapon rating ignores the toughness, the marine is in trouble; at those levels pretty much everyone has weapon rating 6 or greater. For example, my character from the same game is a sorceress throwing around Weapon 16 spells; she can sink battleships, let alone take out tanks. That doesn't mean her spells are especially effective against armor so as to satisfy the catch of "armor-piercing weaponry". She simply puts so much power into them that even with the toughness counting, the heavily armored targets in question are still blasted apart.

It's the difference between a tank facing a really big but fairly normal bomb and a much smaller antitank shell. The bomb will need huge amounts of explosive to blast through tank armor because tank armor nowadays is equivalent to a yard of steel. The antitank round will pierce the armor and blast the tank apart from the inside with more than an order of magnitude less force.

Good example.

The problem is that a lot of people have not played higher level games and/or have not played with someone who is good at combat.

In my first game ever I was able to put together a 36 shift evocation attack at chest deep power level.

Submerged and higher characters are obviously progressively nastier and nastier.