Author Topic: Do individual Aspects matter?  (Read 1127 times)

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Do individual Aspects matter?
« on: May 02, 2011, 09:22:31 PM »
Between personal, scene and aspects created through maneuvers my players never run out of aspects to spend their fate points on.  They've never even thought of using campaign aspects.  Is this typical?  If not, just how many fate points are being spent on a single roll to get to that point?

My game is at submerged +1 refresh if that helps. 

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Do individual Aspects matter?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 09:41:16 PM »
Campaign Aspects (Theme/Threat) seem to serve more as a framework than a taggable source of Aspects, but I am overdue for a review on that subject. Even so, Relationships with NPCs tend to do a lot of the initial kickstarting from what I have observed. I am eager to hear others' experience, though.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 05:04:24 PM »
We've only used them a couple of times.  We have one called "The Veil is thin" and the wizard has tagged it when opening portals. 

When I GM, I'm going to use them more.  I see them, as devonapple said, as a framework for adventures but I also see them more as a GM's tool to give PC's fate points more than PC's using them.  I also plan on placing temporary Campaign Aspects that stick around until certain milestones pass or if the PC's actively try to deal with them. 

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 05:47:03 PM »
I'm with Taran here.  I run 2 games, a tabletop one and a PbP one.  The first game, I get a lot of mileage out of "We're On Our Own"; it represents the PCs being outlaws, people whom the public wouldn't believe even if they provided evidence of supernatural misdoings.  I compel it all the time for unfriendly state troopers, unbelieving public, and so on.

The second game is basically COBRA or SHIELD.  I have "Monologues and Deathtraps" to compel anytime a character would otherwise be better served to simply put two in their enemy's brain and call it a day.  So basically they're ways for me to pay the players for going along with the genre tropes and not trying to break the setting too much.  If I were to run a Star Trek game I would rely even more heavily on such aspects, because you can break the hell out of a Star Trek game if you're not going along with the setting tropes.