Author Topic: Pop Culture references and Copyright Infringement  (Read 1570 times)

Offline History

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Pop Culture references and Copyright Infringement
« on: April 23, 2011, 07:27:29 PM »
I greatly enjoy the pop culture references in Mr. Butcher’s The Dresden Files.
But how does he determine what he can quote (or reference) without falling afoul of copyright infringement?

In The Dresden Files are quotes/references from novels (e.g. The Lord of the Rings), movies (e.g. Dirty Harry, Star Wars), television (e.g. Looney Tunes, Underdog), and even musical lyrics (e.g. Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody):

“Speed of lightning.  Roar of thunder.  Fighting all who rob or plunder.  Underdog.”

--Death Masks, p. 242.

“Freddie Mercury would say Beelzebub has a devil put aside for you.”

--Death Masks, p.300.

“So help me God if you quote Clint Eastwood...”
“Do you feel lucky, punk?”

--Death Masks, p. 306-307.

“I feel a great disturbance in the Force.”

--Death Masks, p. 327.

“Search your feelings; you know it to be true.”

--Blood Rites, p. 164.

“Spear and magic helmet,” I said in my best Elmer Fudd voice.  “Be vewy, vewy quite, we’re hunting...”

--Blood Rites, p. 253.

“With that power, I should have power too great and terrible.  And over me the Ring would gain a power still greater and more deadly,” I said.
“Gandalf to Frodo,” the demon said, smiling.

--Dead Beat, p. 240.

I do not find any listings within these novels of copyright permissions. 
As a fledging novelist, I’ve sought to eliminate quotes/writing like the preceding to avoid copyright infringement—yet a few remain that I feel are essential to the story.  Thus, my humble question to you, to Mr. Butcher and to any knowledeagble Forum members.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob
Yarmouth, ME

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
Re: Pop Culture references and Copyright Infringement
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 07:50:33 PM »
This has come up before--trying reading through this--http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23065.0.html-it might help some.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury