Author Topic: Perhaps an odd request.  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Perhaps an odd request.
« on: April 22, 2011, 11:13:45 PM »
In my free time I love to Read/Write as I'm sure almost everyone else here does aswell. I really like to have a sort of "backbone" or a solid realistic basis for my ideas and creatures or what have you that I put into my stories. That being said I love to read mythology and legends because to me that is my solid "realistic" basis for the contents of my stories. (I do change them to make them my own though of course.) Anyways I was wondering if anyone else does this and well where do you find your information? Can you recommend any books or other sources? I'm beginning to put Magic into my stories or at least a form of it but I'm not sure where to start the search for a solid basis of semi-realistic information on the subject. Thanks. Heres hoping that I worded my request correctly. Cheers.

Offline Sean 'Bjørn' Blackstone

• Conversationalist
  • Igni ex Nihilo
    • View Profile
Re: Perhaps an odd request.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 09:19:28 PM »
Wikipedia. Everyone says it isn't a viable source, but, people honestly dont mess with it much. Its all collected info, and theres link after link after link to more detailed info on the details of the subject. I <3 Wikipedia.
"This stuff right here will make you a goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me."

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 09:29:23 PM »
Wikipedia is an incredible starting point. You tend to get good general information, which can then steer you towards more informative, reliable sources; oftentimes, the References links are all you'll need.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 10:46:56 PM »
The validity of Wikipedia generally depends on what you're looking for and how much citation you have.  There has been a study that shows it's quite good for scientific sources, but the writing is very dry.  But like Shecky said--it's definitely a good place to start.  I can't use Wikipedia to verify stuff at work, but I do go there and follow the links to more legit places.  Though sometimes those links are just as unreliable as Wikipedia can be.

As for the OP, the best thing to do is to go to a library or bookstore and browse through the books in sections for religion, mythology, metaphysics, and similar.  I've found several decent dictionaries/encyclopedias of creatures, and that's where you'll find books about things like paganism, wicca, kabbalah, etc.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 01:05:51 AM »
Thanks everyone. Wikipedia did seem to slip my mind lol. Now that you mention it though I do think I have seen some Wicca, Paganism, and other types of "magic" books in some local stores. I may get a few weird looks for having them but it's purely for resource material on my part :D. (Not that there's anything wrong with people that practice said things.) Anyways again thanks everyone. I would still really love to hear of any specific books if there is anyone out there that knows of any, just makes it easier to find them on my part heh.  ;D

Offline Beefstew

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 01:43:54 AM »
I don't know if it's still in print, but "Rune Magic" by Nigel Pennick is a decent introduction into norse type magic(with runes!).  I had a great book that was an intro to druid magic, I'll look around and see if I can find the title.  If you're interested in learning more about Wiccan type magic(magik, magick), you might consider googling for covens in your area.  I can almost guarantee that there is one somewhere nearby that would be willing to teach you.  You can play it however you want (telling them you're a writer, or telling them you're interested in learning magic) but they're usually pretty open.  In my experience most of the Wiccan books out there don't actually have any of the mechanics of magic, they have specific spells.  And while reading enough of them might be able to give you a solid background, wading through some of that material can get old fast.

I'm kind of like you, I like reading about mythology and magic and religions.  There are MANY magic systems out there, and MANY beliefs in that area.  If you really want to use something in your writing, I would focus on a certain area, or simply get an overview of all of them and make it up for yourself.  If you want to "borrow" a specific system let me know and I probably have more book recommendations for you.
My opinion is so valuable, that when I give someone my two cents, I usually get back change.

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 02:07:03 AM »
I have a daughter that is a comparitive religions major in college. Because of this any time I am in a bookstore, at a yard sale, or anywhere else that books are sold, I buy anything that I can find regarding various religions especially those that are more rare in print. ( There is no way I could buy all of the books about the world's widely practiced current religions so I settle for a few.) I have bought religious encyclopedias, Time Life sets, text books, scholarly works and a few that I think were just works of fiction masquerading as scholarly works. The more you read (and I read some of them too though not as many or as thoroughly as she does) the more of a feel you get for the religions. What is fact, what is controversial, what is misrepresented. It is always good whenever possible to find both books written by those that practice the religion (obviously not always possible when you are talking about ancient, "dead" religions )and by those that do not practice it but have studied it extensively.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Darkshore

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 07:06:55 PM »
Thank you all for the great advice. The Coven idea sounds very very intriguing but I'm not so sure how well that would go over hehe. Also I'm not really focusing on one type of magic (magick) per say but touching on "everything" generally. Rune Magic is very very cool though. My main focus is more on Demons/Demonology at least for this novel.