Author Topic: What's a good way to "Copywrite" My work?  (Read 2206 times)

Offline RodimusGT

• Participant
    • View Profile
What's a good way to "Copywrite" My work?
« on: March 23, 2011, 05:22:51 PM »
Obviously as I write my story I'm not going to go handing it out to numerous people and say here read this i trust you not to steal it from me, but as I move along having a chosen few people to read over it and give me feedback really helps my motivation for writing more and also helps me to decide what needs changed. Sooo like the topic says;

How exactly do I copywrite my work so far that it can't be stolen and used by someone else? Is it even possible to copywrite an unfinished script? Or does it have to be finished? Is it even worth it? Let me know guys I appreciate it!

Offline Breandan

• Conversationalist
  • Fear the Combat Teddy-Bear Robe!
    • View Profile
    • the Dark Nova Novels Website
Re: What's a good way to "Copywrite" My work?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 10:54:31 PM »
Once you finish it, you can copyright it, but I'm not sure about while its in progress. However, when it comes to beta readers, I recommend you only share it with people you trust completely.
"You know, the sad part is, that whole Combat Teddy Bear Robe incident was done while sober... *facepalm* "

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 03:03:41 AM »
Legally, the second you write it, it's yours.  Copyright doesn't depend on any external agency.  You own the copyright because you wrote it.  It's inherent.  *Proving* you wrote it can be another matter, and if you're worried about beta readers, don't be.  Just by emailing it to more than one beta reader, you'll have ample evidence of when you submitted it.  Timestamps on the email, through your ISP, plus the timestamps on the work on your hard drive should protect you enough, plus the testimony of other beta readers who can say when they got it from you.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline Breandan

• Conversationalist
  • Fear the Combat Teddy-Bear Robe!
    • View Profile
    • the Dark Nova Novels Website
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 05:25:05 PM »
the shoeless god of war above me brings up a good point- if you have any correspondence containing the works written, from posting samples on forums to emailing it or uploading it to an offsite backup like I do, you have a legally-solid method of charting development and ownership. Plus, having a unique writing style helps :)
"You know, the sad part is, that whole Combat Teddy Bear Robe incident was done while sober... *facepalm* "

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 04:18:32 PM »
www.copyright.gov 

Has all the answers.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 03:04:45 PM »
The only problem with e-mails is that the data on them can become corrupted and there's always the chance that you may be accused of falsifying the information. I'm not saying e-mails can't be used to prove something is legally yours, but it might not be the easiest option.

What I did with my ms before I started querying was I sent a copy of it to myself by registered post, then I left it in my desk, unopened. In Ireland, registered post is recorded and the delivery archived by the government, with the envelope sealed by the post office with a label that lists a unique serial number.

If there's ever a case where you need to prove you wrote the work, you take the envelope to a solicitor and have it opened in their presence, and they can verify to a court that the work was yours first. I don't know if you have something similar in the US, but here it's about the easiest way to protect your intellectual property.

With regard to beta readers or crit partners, though, you should only ever send your work to people you really do trust.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 03:20:04 PM »
The old fashioned way to do it was to bundle the manuscript up and mail it to yourself using the good old US Postal Service.  Then you have an officially dated, sealed package proving it is yours.  So long as you don't open it (without proper witnesses etc during the theoretical future legal proceedings, anyway) you are covered.

The same is helpful in patent cases, but only to prove who had the idea first, not actually as a claim of ownership as you can make with a Copyright.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury