Author Topic: About Kemmler...  (Read 4095 times)

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: About Kemmler...
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 11:36:29 PM »
The accords are less than 20 years old by the time of Changes, though I don't recall which book pointed that out.  Harry does refer to the accords as the "latest set" of agreements, however.

Roxy Rocket

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 12:03:07 AM »
Hey, he's right. Seems in Proven Guilty Harry mentions that the Unseelie Accords is "the most recent and influential set of principles agreed upon by the various nations of the supernatural maybe ten or twelve years ago."

I suppose it might have just been a refinement of an existing treaty but maybe they just didn't exist. Not a bad answer.

Offline evileeyore

• Conversationalist
  • PIZZA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 02:58:36 AM »
The accords are less than 20 years old by the time of Changes, though I don't recall which book pointed that out.  Harry does refer to the accords as the "latest set" of agreements, however.

Oooooohhhh....  very good catch.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 03:51:45 AM »
Personally I think the accords were just updated then - that they have existed for centuries.

But no, I don't have a quote to back that up.

Richard

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 04:10:07 AM »
Personally I think the accords were just updated then - that they have existed for centuries.

But no, I don't have a quote to back that up.

Richard

I think the beginning of the Digital Age caused at least some of the Supernatural Powers to reconsider the threat that mortals could pose.  My guess would be that even if the SPs don't understand the technology and changing times, they can recognize that they can result in different threats.  (Atomic Bombs and the Industrial Revolution were probably other times when they did this)

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 11:15:59 AM »
I think it had more to do with the disappearance of a large chunk of land during the Unseelie Incursion.

But I could be wrong about that.

Richard

Offline evileeyore

• Conversationalist
  • PIZZA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 07:41:32 PM »
I think it had more to do with the disappearance of a large chunk of land during the Unseelie Incursion.

The what?

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 07:47:05 PM »
The what?

The Unseelie Incursion... don't remember the exact details or which book mentions it, but a few years before the series began, there was a major event involving the winter court and an entire U.S. city just vanishing completely for a few hours.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2011, 07:57:27 PM »
It's in Storm Front:
Like the Unseelie Incursion of 1994, when the entire city of Milwaukee had simply vanished for two hours. Gone. Government satellite photos showed the river valley covered with trees and empty of life or human habitation. All communications ceased. Then, a few hours later, there it was, back again, and no one in the city itself the wiser.

According to the timeline that someone on the site has made, that more or less corresponds with the last time the Unseelie Accords were updated.

Richard

Offline evileeyore

• Conversationalist
  • PIZZA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2011, 08:33:21 PM »
Aha, I didn't remember that being linked to an Unseelie Incursion (in fact I'd forgotten there was one).

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 09:51:39 PM »
It's not directly linked - but (as the timeline assembled by one of Jim's early readers points out) it happened at roughly the same time as the Accords were updated.

And it makes sense.  If a Fairy Court makes a city disappear, that probably pointed out a huge loophole in the Accords that the other parties wanted to close - so they negotiated a new version of the existing Accords.

Richard