Author Topic: Quick reply module  (Read 2613 times)

Offline gborbonus

• Participant
  • World hunger? bah... Fix Stupid, more useful
    • View Profile
Quick reply module
« on: April 24, 2011, 02:23:45 AM »
This would allow quick replies from users that are just wanting to jot a little something down, and move on.

Trying to fix the world, one moron at a time.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Re: Quick reply module
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 02:35:54 AM »
'Splainy?

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 03:19:14 AM »
We actually have a quick reply module Go to your profile and look at "Look and layout preferences," look for "Use quick reply on topic display." and select "Show on by default" from the drop down menu.
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 04:09:09 AM »
It's already implemented. It's the "REPLY" button on the lower bar, under the last post of the thread on the screen.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 04:27:25 AM »
We actually have a quick reply module Go to your profile and look at "Look and layout preferences," look for "Use quick reply on topic display." and select "Show on by default" from the drop down menu.

Ah, I see!  So yeah, it's already implemented, like he said.

It's already implemented. It's the "REPLY" button on the lower bar, under the last post of the thread on the screen.

*blows raspberry*

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 12:22:22 PM »
*blows raspberry*

Whut? Seriously. The only difference between this and the "quick reply" is that the quick reply already has a box to type in on the page of the thread you're reading - a grand total of one click's difference in practical access.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline comprex

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 02:43:35 PM »
a grand total of one click's difference in practical access.

One click, a page reload, and a change in how preceding posts in the thread are displayed.     

That last, I suspect, may be the motivating  factor here, particularly on small displays like phone displays, or for folks who haven't quite formed their posts in their heads by the time they make the "Reply" click.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 03:50:56 PM »
One click, a page reload, and a change in how preceding posts in the thread are displayed.     

That last, I suspect, may be the motivating  factor here, particularly on small displays like phone displays, or for folks who haven't quite formed their posts in their heads by the time they make the "Reply" click.

If the point is to make a reply and not to read or quote other posts, I really don't see how it makes much of a difference other than having to take a few more seconds to load a page; the size issue obtains in either case, and since a quick reply divorces the reply from any post, it's the access to the reply text box that seems to matter.

Irrelevant, whatever the case, as we see above.

Offline gborbonus

• Participant
  • World hunger? bah... Fix Stupid, more useful
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 09:16:51 PM »
As it's already implemented, and I didn't see it, it is irrelevant, just a suggestion.

For those who are wondering the benefits,

It's a simple, eliminate one click. And allows for easy see what everyone else said before you finish replying. It also helps when moderating a forum, or replying to multiple threads extremely quick.

I help on many forums, and I instantly look for the quick reply, as it's fast. Also with a bit of tweaking, can be done via ajax(a javascript construct),which reduces it down from 2 page loads, to 0 page loads.

Trying to fix the world, one moron at a time.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 11:23:51 PM »
As it's already implemented, and I didn't see it, it is irrelevant, just a suggestion.

For those who are wondering the benefits,

It's a simple, eliminate one click. And allows for easy see what everyone else said before you finish replying. It also helps when moderating a forum, or replying to multiple threads extremely quick.

I help on many forums, and I instantly look for the quick reply, as it's fast. Also with a bit of tweaking, can be done via ajax(a javascript construct),which reduces it down from 2 page loads, to 0 page loads.

Trying to understand how that last would qualify as a "reply" in the first place - wouldn't you need to see the posts in order to reply? Maybe that's just me, as I prefer to see what people are saying so I don't duplicate what's already been said or chime in on a discussion that's already been completed. And if I am replying, I also prefer to use the "quote" function so that subsequent readers know precisely which post and poster I'm responding to. Seems YMMV.

Offline comprex

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 03:53:06 AM »
Trying to understand how that last would qualify as a "reply" in the first place - wouldn't you need to see the posts in order to reply?

One _does_ see the posts.   They are right above the reply box, in normal thread order.   In fact, some find it more convenient to look at previous posts in as-posted order instead of in reverse-posted order (the case with the current click-to-create reply box).

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 10:24:07 AM »
One _does_ see the posts.   They are right above the reply box, in normal thread order.   In fact, some find it more convenient to look at previous posts in as-posted order instead of in reverse-posted order (the case with the current click-to-create reply box).

Maybe it's the wording, but it seems that "0 page loads" wouldn't load the page the posts are on. And you see the previous posts in as-posted order when you look at the thread to begin with.

Or am I missing something you guys are assuming and not saying, so I'm not seeing at all what you're talking about as a result?

Offline comprex

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 12:27:30 PM »
something you guys are assuming and not saying, so I'm not seeing at all what you're talking about as a result?

Perhaps?    Imagine that the normal page for viewing  a thread includes a dialog box (much like you now have the  Jump-To box on the lower right) expanded to fit the width of the screen, maybe half or a third as high as the usual reply screen, labeled 'Quick Reply'

It loads at the same time,  as part of the thread viewing page, therefore the only effect of a click is to put the cursor in the dialog box, without reloading.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 01:41:53 PM »
Perhaps?    Imagine that the normal page for viewing  a thread includes a dialog box (much like you now have the  Jump-To box on the lower right) expanded to fit the width of the screen, maybe half or a third as high as the usual reply screen, labeled 'Quick Reply'

It loads at the same time,  as part of the thread viewing page, therefore the only effect of a click is to put the cursor in the dialog box, without reloading.

Ah, I see now - so it's not "0 page loads" but one page load. Yeah, that I've seen. My own peculiarity, I guess, is that I prefer to use the Quote function so that folks reading my post know exactly who I'm responding to - but that's just me. Then again, I don't use cell phones or slow-loading internet when I'm here, so maybe the lack of delay in loading a new page makes it a non-issue to begin with for me.

Mutual understanding achieved. Carry on. :D