Poll

if you were a supernatural heavyweight what would you be(this being that they all have free will)

ultimate summer faerie
6 (6.7%)
ultimate winter faerie
3 (3.4%)
ultimate white council wizard
16 (18%)
powerful wizard other than white council
10 (11.2%)
god of an element or thing
9 (10.1%)
ultimate type of werewolf
3 (3.4%)
ultimate shapeshifter other than werewolf
12 (13.5%)
ultimate entity of the Nevernever
4 (4.5%)
ruler of the outer gate
5 (5.6%)
ultimate angel
6 (6.7%)
ultimate demon
1 (1.1%)
other
14 (15.7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: what would you rather be  (Read 5915 times)

Offline zaczane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
what would you rather be
« on: April 19, 2011, 02:23:32 AM »
out of all the one you can pick this is saying you be that thing but instead of the normal refresh like 100 instead and this of course would super uhh???? well yah know the word i was gonna say but anyway powerful. the other option does not include the almighty or jesus or other things that would in fact probably have more than 150 refresh
hey hey hey I'm not a Bad guy!!!  i just love to watch the world F%#KING burn now is that so wrong?

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: what would you rather be
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 02:52:31 AM »
Zaczane, on behalf of the forum, I would like to welcome you to to our community.  

HobbitGuy1420, please address yourself to content and not correction.  Consider yourself warned.  Go read the rules.  --Blaze
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 07:32:23 AM by Blaze »

Offline zaczane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 04:44:54 AM »
wait what did i spell wrong
hey hey hey I'm not a Bad guy!!!  i just love to watch the world F%#KING burn now is that so wrong?

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 04:46:53 AM »

Offline zaczane

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 04:48:44 AM »
why do you keep sending me to spell check

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 04:52:28 AM »
The second link is to a grammar-check application.

edited, move along with the discussion of the topic, not the poster.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 07:35:52 AM by Blaze »

Offline Wookinstien

• Conversationalist
  • Lorem ipsum butts et mentiri non potest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 04:56:36 AM »
The second link is to a grammar-check application.  

This is kinda insulting.  I understood what he was trying to say without pointing out the errors.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 07:36:20 AM by Blaze »

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 05:04:45 AM »
This is kinda insulting.  I understood what he was trying to say without pointing out the errors.

Honestly, I agree.  I'm all for better grammar, spelling and communication.  Part of the post took me a moment due to its nonstandard syntax, but there are better ways to communicate that.  He's new.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 05:06:47 AM »
This is kinda insulting.  I understood what he was trying to say without pointing out the errors.

It took me some thinking to figure out what he was trying to say. Hobbit wasn't trying to be insulting, he was just offering a tool to, as he said, 'better communicate ideas'. I know a number of people on the forum prefer legible posts, and using proper grammar gives a better impression as well.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Samael

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 05:10:27 AM »
I personally agree with MijRai on this, I see it as HobbitGuy just trying to help the guy out so he can improve himself. It is my contention that Hobbit was being as tactful as possible, and see no real issue with that friendly nudge.

But thats just me.

Offline Wookinstien

• Conversationalist
  • Lorem ipsum butts et mentiri non potest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 05:19:34 AM »
The tactful way wold be to ask for a rewrite.  Maybe stating something like the following.

"I am not clear on what you are asking.  Could you type it again?"

Posting links to a grammar and spelling website is rude IMO.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 05:21:29 AM »
The tactful way wold be to ask for a rewrite.  Maybe stating something like the following.
"I am not clear on what you are asking.  Could you type it again?"

That is a wonderful suggestion. HobbitGuy certainly took a risk providing this feedback, but he definitely meant no insult.

New blood is always welcome, but on occasion, new members start blazing across this board with an enviable fire of enthusiasm, posting here and there like one of the Za-Guard on a mission from their Za-Lord, but sadly, this zeal can be so easily overlooked when thick slang, misspelling, or simple grammatical "liberality" motivates the old-timers to click past without reading.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 05:32:38 AM »
I don't think it is acting like a grammar nazi to encourage easily understood posts.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline HobbitGuy1420

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 05:33:27 AM »
Of course not!

I'm a Grammar Fascist.  I'm not about to let myself get Godwin'd out of the conversation!

Again, go read the rules, and you PMs. --Blaze
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 07:38:23 AM by Blaze »

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 08:12:19 AM »
It's nice to see that someone respects the difference between those two words.  Mussolini and Franco weren't Nazis, but they were clearly fascists.  Personally, I think it was a shame that the west embraced Franco as an ally against the communists, but that's just me.

What isn't just me is the fact that this forum has rules.  It's not one of the wild west parts of the internet - it has a dedicated staff that does what it can to enforce a few simple rules.  That staff is mostly silent on this part of the forum - mostly because people don't tend to break the rules here - but I've seen them in action on other parts of the message board.

The big thing they do is move threads from various message boards to spoiler message boards.  Go elsewhere and talk about any novel that's in hard cover and your message will get shifted to a spoiler board.  They also handle touchy subjects - basically before things get to the point where readers might go "Eeewwww!" or "That really offends me!" on of the mods will get involved.  I've mostly seen that when talking about why Marcone isn't a heroic character but a villain.

They also jump in when people get very judgmental - there was a post I read where someone who was studying metaphysics wanted the DV to correspond to his "real world" take on things and became offensive when contradicted - and the mods told him to cool it or they would ban him.  Which was nice - giving a warning like that.

I've been on forums where there are no mods.  I've been on forums where if the mods disliked you your posts would vanish "just cause".   I've been on forums where if someone posted an asshole comment on page 5 of an otherwise intelligent thread the mods would delete the entire thing (because nuking it was easier than trying to sort out who was right and wrong).  I've been on forums where a mod enforced "Member A doesn't comment on any thread that Member B starts and verse a visa" because member A and B were sending death threats to each other (i.e. a laissez-faire attitude of only getting involve when they had separate whining children).  This forum, while moderated, has a happy medium.  It's not "You shifted the thread slightly so you have to make a new thread" in your face style moderation, but the mods don't allow things to get to the death threat level either.  It's so well mod'ed that I was a member for months before I noticed that this is a moderated board - and that's saying something.

Not everyone's first language is English.  Not every English speaker can type in perfect grammar.  For that matter I'd argue that in a non-codified language like English "perfect grammar" can't exist - there are too many competing style guides for anyone to insist that there is "one true way" for English.  And I'm guessing that saying "You have bad grammar" is against the rules - at least that's the message I'm picking up from the mods.

And well I hate to point this out - the mods can ban you (or anyone) from  this forum.

Back on topic, that's a hard question.  Seriously, free will comes into it.  If you are a faerie you are locked into a role.  Angel / Demon? Flip slides for servants (angel means messenger - as in the servant who brings the message).   Thing from the Nevernever? Most of those beings don't seem to have freewill.  God also seemed locked into their roles.  Things from beyond the Outer Gates? They don't register as real enough to pick - it would like picking "Pink" - who knows what that would mean?

So I'd have to go with the Wizard or shifter options - just for freewill.  Between those three a Wizard seems most versatile, so I'd go with that.  White Council or not? Wizards tend to need the protection of the accords, so I would go with Whit Council.

Richard