Author Topic: A cool house rule for throwing (sup. strength) powers.  (Read 3441 times)

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Re: A cool house rule for throwing (sup. strength) powers.
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 03:31:37 AM »
The length of a zone is very subjective. It seems to me that the standard zone sizes and weapon ranges are based on the chaos of combat in a cluttered urban environment. Plus, you know, a healthy level of abstraction.

Trying to use zone ranges outside of combat will give you headaches. But if you really want to let someone have the same range in and out of combat, remember that the game won't break if you give a gun functionally unlimited range. It'll just make certain fights realistically unfair.

Excellent point.

I think it would also cheapen the encounter.

That's why I like the idea of attack penalties based on extreme range.

Things like a scope on the rifle and a fate point invoke can help mitigate it, though.

Part of why I was thinking about stuff like this is that I have been mulling over having a hired sniper take potshots at my PCs at random times.  This will force them to be a little more aware of their surroundings, and come up with a creative way to protect themselves or find the sniper. :)

Sniping from 3 zones away they would find him easy.  Sniping from 10 zones away... a little bit harder.

And that is still not that far when you consider that a character with supernatural speed and 5 in athletics shouldn't have too hard of a time sprinting 10 zones in one exchange.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 09:41:33 PM »
Sounds like a fun encounter, as long as your players can handle it.

Anyway, I'm starting to realize why you need to care about rules like this. Most people will probably never encounter such an issue.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 09:46:32 PM »
Sounds like a fun encounter, as long as your players can handle it.

Anyway, I'm starting to realize why you need to care about rules like this. Most people will probably never encounter such an issue.

Thanks

Yeah.  I know that most "urban fantasy" takes place in more confined quarters.  In that style of game, the RAW are completely sufficient.

However, my game is set in Austin, which has a lot of flat land and a lot of open spaces buffered by easy concealment.

Not only that, it makes sense to me that any gunhand with any exposure to the supernatural would go the Kinkaid route of long distance shots.

If something has a weapon: 6 from claws and strength, it would be insane to let it get close enough to hit you!

Since my PCs are all submerged at the moment and can legitimately tear through most things if they act in concert, I think small harassing combat, or hit and run tactics will keep them on their toes so they won't get complacent.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.