Author Topic: Rote Spells  (Read 1350 times)

Offline LepRecon

• Participant
    • View Profile
Rote Spells
« on: April 15, 2011, 03:34:16 PM »
A small question.  We have for the first time running got a Wizard in the party.  Also a Focused Prac.  Now the person playing the Focued Prac is more up on the rules and has pointed out the Wizard can have as many rote spells learnt equal to his Lore level.  He was wondering if he as a Foucsed Prac also got these rote spells?  I know in the rules it says 'Wizard' but that is because it is the Evocation section of the rules.  The Focused Prac has taken Channeling which is poor mans Evocation so does he get any rote spells?

Cheers for clarification

LepRecon

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Rote Spells
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 03:47:20 PM »
Yes, focussed practitioners get their rote spells just as a wizard does, though they are limited to their element of choice, of course. The side-notes on page 248 give a hint towards that, if it isn't stated anywhere else.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 03:48:51 PM »
Yep, he does.
Just as with evocation.

Edit: to slow :-)

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 09:30:33 PM »
If you absolutely must have a specific rule, try this one from the "Building a Practitioner" sidebar (my emphasis):

Quote from: YS77
When you’re building a spellcaster, the powers are often similar regardless of the type of caster—the configuration of them is where the variety comes in. Your main focus will be on configuring these powers to give your caster his specific identity. Along with these powers comes the opportunity to choose various specializations and to create items and rotes.

I love the PDF that came with the book; it makes finding stuff like this ... well, possible in a way that the hard copy doesn't.  :)

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 09:58:54 PM »
If you absolutely must have a specific rule, try this one from the "Building a Practitioner" sidebar (my emphasis):

I love the PDF that came with the book; it makes finding stuff like this ... well, possible in a way that the hard copy doesn't.  :)

Indeed.  I need to get the PDF version.

I love my book, but sometimes things are very hard to find.  The index is a bit lacking.  It took me forever to find "ghoul" one night.  It's not in the index of "Our World", just "Ghoul Ninja".  So you can search for Harry's sidebar conversations, but not some monsters. :P
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 10:58:01 PM »

Just you wait, that search spell has to work someday!  ;D
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal