Author Topic: Advice on Describing Government and/or Public Safety locations?  (Read 1772 times)

Offline RodimusGT

• Participant
    • View Profile
Okay so my main character is about to visit a police station in a city which I live near. I'm not sure whether I should or even can try and research what the station looks like and write it accurately in my book, or if I would be better off just using a make believe station.

Opinions? Thanks everyone!  ;D

Offline Bottom The Weaver

• Participant
  • Oh what an ass am I.
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on Describing Government and/or Public Safety locations?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 11:31:48 AM »
The easiest solution is getting yourself arrested so you can have a free 'tour' of the building.  ;D But I wouldn't recommend that.

I would say just come up with your own layout but try to make it consistent. Police stations are different everywhere, but from what I can tell most of the building is given up to offices for different departments. If it's a small city, a whole floor might be given to holding cells, but a big city might only have a portion of a floor devoted to that because there are more stations in the city to spread them out.

So basically, I'm saying make it up. That's what I'd do, anyway.
"What fools these mortals be." - Billy Shakes

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 04:39:46 PM »
Some police stations don't even have jails.  Ours here in North Hollywood doesn't - prisoners have to be shipped off to Van Nuys.
You could always go to the local police station and ask about the layout - explaining what you're doing and is there a sort of general overview available.  They have offices and usually a big room for start of shift stuff, locker rooms and shower.  Holding cells, jail cells if they have such a thing.  Evidence lock up.  Probably a weapons area.  I've noticed that there seems to be a front waiting area for the public with a desk behind which are a couple of cops that can help you.  Access to the rest of the station is behind doors, usually locked ones.  And in the parking area - the parking area can be locked off behind big doors in case of trouble.
Some bigger police stations actually have like a lock system where the car comes in and someone closes the big doors behind it then it can move forward towards the back of the station.  The newer the station the more I think they have these systems to protect it from outside attack.  (Result of 9/11 and other terrorist attacks.)

Offline Piotr1600

• Posty McPostington
  • Not *quite* the Eye of Providence...
    • View Profile
    • Go For Throttle Up - Music you haven't heard
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 10:03:51 PM »
If your story has a "neutral-to-positive" portrayal of the police, call 'em up and ask for a tour.
Or ask to speak to their public affairs officer.
Or hell, even the Chief - worst case s/he will point you to the right people.
If your town has a "media coordinator" or "Film coordinator" or some such title - and even small/medium sized towns do these days - contact them and let *them* do the arrangements. That's more or less their job.

Tell them you're writing a story and you need some 'expert advice' to make it feel authentic.
And that you're giving credit in the book/story etc.

As long as you're not doing a hatchet-job of some kind, the police in my area are *amazingly* helpful with questions about how stuff works, procedures, and fun things like volunteer ride-alongs. (Which are *very* educational, in oh-so-many ways.)

My band: http://www.soundclick.com/goforthrottleup -

The real problem with the shallow end of the gene pool is that it isn’t deep enough to allow the depth charges to arm. - By "Hardware" on Larry Correia's website.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 02:55:45 PM »
I'm with Piotr1600 on this. Nothing surely beats an afternoon touring the place. You can also ask to head out with a patrol car. There are civic groups that make those arrangements.

Making it up works for many, but for me, I need to grab up as many of the 'touch' elements as I can to add authenticity to my description. Seeing the sight will spark ideas, add richness, even language as you listen to the conversation patterns around you. Where is it noisy? Where is it quiet? What does the jail smell like? What does the Chief of Police's office smell like.

Yes, you can make it up, but you are denying yourself an easy chance to pull from several people's minds and lives as you walk the halls.

And...yes, I am back in full first draft writing mode--so I'm deep into the senses for several months...
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
  • Overkill is Underrated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 06:29:38 PM »

I agree with the others- asking for a tour never hurts. The worst they can say is "no."
I can offer a couple things...

- It depends on where the story takes place. There tends to be a certain common style to public facilities i.e. you'll find a lot of FDNY fire stations are little brick things with only one or two vehicles, as opposed to the west where they will have larger central stations with more vehicles and EMS.

-If you are thinking a newer building, then it is possible it houses ALL of Public Safety. I worked in a station that had fire and EMS on one side and police on the other (and never the twains shall meet... good times!). The entire place was locked with swipe cards and neither side had access to the other.

-post 9/11 brought A LOT of security changes. Even in the older places they have created secure areas that restrict access to all but the lobby.

-Like SL mentioned, some places don't have any secure prisoner areas. If they do, there is always some sort of sally port to drive in to unload people and process them.  In my area there are very few municipalities with their own police force. Many contract with the county sheriff, so there are only sub-stations which are essentially offices. If you get arrested you go to the one jail- in some cases 50 miles away. Accessing the police means going to a sub, calling the dispatcher, and waiting for someone to meet you there.

I can give you a lot more on fire/ems if you need it, but I also have a co-worker who is an architect. His firm does A LOT of public safety buildings. I am sure he can provide a floorplans if that would help. PM me! (and good luck!)
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.