Author Topic: Nemeses  (Read 1281 times)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Nemeses
« on: April 07, 2011, 03:47:00 AM »
There are a few nemesis options in the DFRPG book (well, in any RPG, really): all-in-one master villains; doppelgangers; "reverse" versions of the PCs; variations on those themes.

How many GMs have actually set up a "reverse" NPC for each of their players?
Are these nemeses a fire-versus-ice thematic/literal reversal of special effects, or more of a Superman/Lex Luthor sort of antagonism, where the NPC thrives where the PC is weakest, and vice versa?
Are these NPCs allied (or at least cooperating) like a Legion of Doom, or are they on their own?
Did they all get introduced in the first story, or will they show when their plot comes up?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:01:22 AM by devonapple »
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Re: Nemeses
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 06:18:26 AM »
There are a few nemesis options in the DFRPG book (well, in any RPG, really): all-in-one master villains; doppelgangers; "reverse" versions of the PCs; variations on those themes.

How many GMs have actually set up a "reverse" NPC for each of their players?
Are these nemeses a fire-versus-ice thematic/literal reversal of special effects, or more of a Superman/Lex Luthor sort of antagonism, where the NPC thrives where the PC is weakest, and vice versa?
Are these NPCs allied (or at least cooperating) like a Legion of Doom, or are they on their own?
Did they all get introduced in the first story, or will they show when their plot comes up?

In the game I am starting, pretty much all the PCs have a nemesis.  This is a person/being who is about 10 refresh higher than they are, and can do anything they can do... just better.

I modeled these NPCs as being necessary for the group to take down together, but if they and the character they are modeled after go at it mano y mano, the PC won't be obliterated right away.

It should make for some interesting role play.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 11:28:54 AM »
Three of my players chose some sort of nemesis for themselves at character creation as part of their Aspect-choosing.  One's an ex-Denariian host, so that was an easy one.  Another chose his former employer, a CEO of a corporation who attempts to acquire magical items on the sly.  Dude's just a human, but his power comes from all the junk he has access to and his hired goons.  The third nemesis is a warlock one PC encounted during his military service.  There isn't anything so thematic as "mirror image" or anything about them, but my players came up with them and that's good enough for me.

As far as power level goes, the Denarian I think I need to make tougher after their brief encounter 2 sessions ago.  They've tangled with the CEO's goons before, but the man himself?  Well, I suppose it depends on the Items of Power he's got, but take those away and he's just a dude.  The warlock I'm working on now, actually, but I'm thinking his true power is going to come from hordes of brainwashed civilians. 

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 06:24:53 PM »
Three of my players chose some sort of nemesis for themselves at character creation as part of their Aspect-choosing.

I'll propose something like that now that my players have the experience from concluding a story. We just didn't think about that during character creation.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Vryce

• Conversationalist
  • You suck. You suck diseased moose wang, Marcone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 06:49:07 PM »
i ran a game where one of the players was the nemesis....
You know when Dresden always says he does not have mirrors because of what is on the other side.
this character was from the other side, he replaced the current wizard with him self.. Like a feltch...(know i spelt that wrong)
Prey is Prey.  The fact it is human, in this case, does not make it any more difficult.  Intellect, Like instinct can be anticipated, manipulated…

Offline jadecourtflunky

• Conversationalist
  • "You are cattle" "Moo" (blows head off)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 08:34:55 PM »
I did have a nemesis like this for an earlier game I did. One of the players was a werewolf much like Tera West (Except he was just raised in the wild, not born as a wolf). So, I put in a super-powerful werewolf who's enslaved to his killer nature. I put him in charge of a large gang of criminals, of which he was the figurehead. We never managed to get to beating him, though.