Author Topic: Is there some River trope I am missing?  (Read 2410 times)

Offline The Neuromancer

• Participant
    • View Profile
Is there some River trope I am missing?
« on: March 30, 2011, 03:51:44 AM »
From what I know about rivers flow out of the mountains and down into the lake or ocean;
Mountain Water/Snow --> Gullies --> Streams --> Rivers --> Lake or Ocean.

But it seems in many fantasy series that all rivers start at the ocean and flow into the land. For example, George R. R. Martin's novel 'Game of Thrones' has a map in it. The map shows the rivers starting from the ocean. I have noticed this in a few other books as well.

Perhaps I am misreading the map but It looks this way to me.
Am I just missing something?

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: Is there some River trope I am missing?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 04:47:25 AM »
can't imagine that you're reading it backwards and I haven't read the novel, nor seen the map, but where does it end up then? I mean, the Mississippi is the end with Itaska at the top. If you flip it over, it still flows to the Gulf. I think the Red River flows north through Canada, but again ends up in ocean.

Any funny smokes at the time?  LOL  I'll be interested to see what others say. You know though the Yellowstone River starts from the huge Yellowstone Lake right? Is it similar to that maybe?
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline The Neuromancer

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 05:41:33 AM »
Here is a link to the map online.
http://img222.imageshack.us/f/immapnorthdb9.gif/

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 05:59:11 AM »
what gives you the idea that the river is flowing inland, and which river do you think is doing it?
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

Offline The Neuromancer

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 06:31:13 AM »
Look at the river that is above and slightly-to-the-right of the of the body of water called 'The Bite'. I see nothing there but a river that sorta looks like it is flowing inward.
On other maps the river flows out of the mountains and becomes a fork. This river looks like it is flowing from the ocean and becoming a fork inland.
Am I just misunderstanding this?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 06:32:59 AM by The Neuromancer »

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 08:18:18 AM »
Sorry, to me it just looks like two small rivers that come together to form a larger river, and that flows into the Bite.  Not every river has to start in the mountains.  The Mississippi, for instance (as Meg pointed out), starts at a lake.  It could be that if you could zoom into that fork, you'd find a network of smaller feeder rivers that all happen to flow into those two smaller rivers.  Or maybe there's a huge underground lake that happens to surface there.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 08:24:24 AM »
Or it's a mistake.  :D
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 01:11:45 PM »
My guess is that it looks like it's going inland because there's no terrain drawn in that area, kinda like the one in the upper left corner.  But unless it's stated otherwise in the text, which I don't remember ever being the case, I'm pretty sure the rivers follow the normal course of flowing toward the larger body of water.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 03:57:55 PM »
Perhaps I am misreading the map but It looks this way to me.

You're misreading the map.  I've just been rereading that series, and it's very clear in the text that the rivers flow down to the sea.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline The Neuromancer

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 06:43:07 PM »
You're misreading the map.  I've just been rereading that series, and it's very clear in the text that the rivers flow down to the sea.
Good to know. It has been bugging me for a while which way it was flowing.

Offline comprex

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 07:19:24 PM »
Good to know. It has been bugging me for a while which way it was flowing.

I think I see what you're getting at, though:  Assuming normal flow, it looks weird for the river to have picked its way *through* the mountain range like that as if it knew that the ocean was on the other side, and to have _not_ picked its way going the other way where it doesn't have such a mountainous barrier to cross.   

How could it happen that way, if mountains are created by large scale geologic upthrust and not lifted up point-by-point at their peaks?   How could it happen that way, if passes and valleys between mountains are generally higher up than plateaus, especially plateaus that do not seem to have a cliff on the side where they meet the ocean?

One way for it to happen is to have a breakthrough-type event where a large historical lake finds an underground seep of soft rock to tunnel through, and then the high speed water flow simply eats through the sides and top of the tunnel until there is no top to the tunnel.     Happens all the time when old sea beds are turned into mountains, like in southern Europe for example.    This, of course, begs the question: what is on the other side of the western sea jamming those mountains up, like Europe has Africa slamming into it?

Offline daranthered

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 12:09:00 AM »
Could be a flood plain.  Not all rivers flow out of mountains.  Sometimes you can have rivers that flow through plains or marshy areas that get a lot of precipitation.