Author Topic: Weapon rating for big guns?  (Read 5562 times)

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon rating for big guns?
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2011, 08:32:49 PM »
Wizards should do more damage than someone with a gun.  Wizards are ofgwtfbbq powerful in the DF.  They're the Jedi of this story.

That said, a Rifleman with a nice scope and marksman aspect firing from stealth for an ambush attack, with stacked aspects and AP ammunition can still take out most folks in one shot.

(click to show/hide)
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2011, 09:05:21 PM »
He wasn't prepared for it. "Prepared for it" means "I cast a veil making me appear 2 feet to the left so aimed sniper shots will miss". It may also mean "I go shopping under a 'don't notice me' veil/potion cause there's a war on and I want to live".

One of the things Harry doesn't really do is prepare - he has the wrong temperament for it. Even the bigger wards for his house only come because some zombies almost ate him when the old wards he never bothered to beef up failed.

Offline jybil178

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2011, 09:39:28 PM »
He wasn't prepared for it. "Prepared for it" means "I cast a veil making me appear 2 feet to the left so aimed sniper shots will miss". It may also mean "I go shopping under a 'don't notice me' veil/potion cause there's a war on and I want to live".

One of the things Harry doesn't really do is prepare - he has the wrong temperament for it. Even the bigger wards for his house only come because some zombies almost ate him when the old wards he never bothered to beef up failed.

Acutally, if I recall correctly, at that point he HAD beefed up his wards.  The problem wasn't they weren't strong enough, it was in the way they were erected.  A vamp comes up to his door, he gets vaporized.  This stops most intruders.  However, (potential spoiler from Dead Beat)
(click to show/hide)
  It was a weakness in design.

Now, back to the topic at hand, I was wondering how exactly you would determine the AP value of a weapon, if you were to go about with that particular house rule.  I noticed you mentioned the .50 cal as weapon: 4, AP(3).  Was that just a random number off your head, or was it basically saying that you think a weapon's AP value, if it has one, should be equal to 1 less then the weapons value?

Second, I want to say, although I couldn't actually say for certain, or cite a page, that the example of an Armor Piercing Aspect for ammunition was mentioned at one point in the book.  I think it was also shortly followed up by another example of a special ammunition, who's tagging of an Aspect could allow you to satisfy the catch for someones Toughness.  But it never went into detail of what exactly an Armor Piercing Aspect would do.

Maybe you can tag it, to completely bypass an Armor's Armor Value?  But at that point, it seems to just kinda get silly....  Maybe certain levels of armor, give or take, from 1-2 would classify as having the aspect of "Lightly Armored" or something along those lines.  Smaller caliber firearms with AP rounds could have an Aspect of "Light Armor Piercing", which can be tagged to negate the effects of Lighter Armors.  Then armors from 3-4, professional military gear and full Riot Armor, could have a heavier form of the "Armored" Aspect, requiring a heavier form of AP rounds, like the .50 caliber to field a heavier "Armor Piercing" aspect.  But once you go into all those, you kinda get outa the simplicity of the FATE system, and into more rulsy guidelines you need to start following.

Anyway, I was just wanting to know exactly how you would go about doing putting together something like this, as it would be very helpful for my upcoming campaign.
my 2 cents

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2011, 09:46:48 PM »
To tag something you need to roll to create the aspect, though I suppose it could be a decleration.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline jybil178

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2011, 01:46:57 AM »
To tag something you need to roll to create the aspect, though I suppose it could be a decleration.

A declaration or something similar to that effect, whenever the player goes about obtaining the ammunition in question, regardless of its particular qualities.  This is a situation where it makes sense to allow a player to make it, and use it for a later time.  Best I can think of anyway...
my 2 cents

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2011, 02:52:12 AM »

(click to show/hide)
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2011, 03:20:25 AM »
Harry was prepared for an attack. He prepared for it the same way he thought he should. The way he did so was probably Compelled against him. He could have went out disguised, but that was probably ruled too subtle for Harry.

If it was someone else like Molly or even Ramirez, the veil could have been a good way for them to be prepared. If it was Carlos, he probably could have both a shield and a veil.

Harry was not as prepared as he could have, he was as prepared as the story was prepared for him to be.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2011, 03:35:18 AM »
Harry was prepared for an attack. He prepared for it the same way he thought he should. The way he did so was probably Compelled against him. He could have went out disguised, but that was probably ruled too subtle for Harry.

If it was someone else like Molly or even Ramirez, the veil could have been a good way for them to be prepared. If it was Carlos, he probably could have both a shield and a veil.

Harry was not as prepared as he could have, he was as prepared as the story was prepared for him to be.

I'm willing to buy that.

I guess my point is that he was not caught by surprise, flatfooted though.  He was expecting an attack and it still floored him.

Offline Kommisar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2011, 03:26:04 PM »
The AP value of "3" was just off the top of my head, but would be a minimum value as it allows for a .50 cal round to bypass any personal body armor absent any magical effects.

I haven't had to come up with a comprehensive list of AP values yet due to the fact that the game I am running is 5 wizards.  Now, I am starting up a FATE system Star Wars game this month... but that will be scifi with blasters.   I will post up a quickie guide though as a starting point for refining.

AP Pistol Rounds ( "Cop Killer Rounds", Teflon, ect..) - AP 1
Military Grade Rifle (7.62mm, .308 cal, 5.56mm) AP Round - AP 2
Light Machine Gun Rounds (same as Rifles, actually) AP Round - AP 2
Heavy Machine Gun Rounds (.50 cal, 20mm) Normal Round - AP 3
Heavy Machine Gun Rounds Improved AP round - AP 4
Special AT rifle/MG rounds (Sabot rounds and the like) - AP 5
Shaped Charge AT rockets (Laws, Dragons, RPGs) - AP 6

For armor values:

Civilian Vehicles (toyota, Ford) - Armor 1
Armored Car - Armor 2 to 4 depending on quality and cost
Unarmored Humvee - Armor 2
Current (armored up) Humvee - Armor 3
LAV / APC - Armor 5 to 7
Main Battle Tank - Armor 8

For me, I would run any heavier weapons against human targets as concessions as opposed to a bunch of rolls and the like.  That way you can better control the story element of the game... assuming you are running a game where your players could be on the receiving end of a 81mm mortar barrage.