Author Topic: A Question On White Court Breeding  (Read 1576 times)

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
A Question On White Court Breeding
« on: April 01, 2011, 04:15:13 PM »
A little thought that's been bouncing around inside my head, off of one of Harry's comments from the books.  "For someone who was supposedly feeding on people through sex, Raith had done comparatively little begetting." (Blood Rites)

This got me thinking a bit.  Thomas has, well, gotten around, including a number of single encounters, including that jogger in Dead Beat, for example.  Lara feeds regularly.  And so on and so forth.  Given the attitudes and mores of the White Court, I find it unlikely that regular, planned contraception is part of their social baggage... but it might be part of their magical baggage.  I'm not saying that this would have any game effect (beyond buying off a compel of "hey, your WCV has a kid"), but, doing a little bit of analysis has me thinking that WCVs can control their ability to reproduce, at least to some extent. 

Thoughts? 
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Re: A Question On White Court Breeding
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 04:24:51 PM »
This might be too mundane an answer but it wouldn't surprise me if they used standard human birth control they are still mostly human
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 04:26:31 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 06:16:20 PM »
This has come up before - either here or in the spoilers forum.

My view is that WCVs don't have accidents.  That they need to channel life force in special ways for pregnancy to happen.  I'm thinking maybe a deep feeding that leaves the partner alive (at least for male WVC) while and adding other life force to it.  Maybe from others in the room or maybe from being well fed before you start.

Of course I could be wrong here as there's nothing much in the books about this - other than the lack of a horde of WCV swarming the cities.  Maybe it's just, but I have to think that the predatory instincts keep WCV from wildly reproducing.

Richard

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 07:50:40 PM »
Sounds like a good idea.

I don't think it's canon or anything, but who cares?

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 08:27:41 PM »
Sounds like a good idea.

I don't think it's canon or anything, but who cares?
I think that I'm basically suggesting a type of Required Secondary Power that's there by implication. 
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Realities PBW restart
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 09:12:54 PM »
Maybe there is a limited number of 'demons' and so a new WCV can't be bought until an old one dies.
And the True Love thing effectively kills the host for the demon, thus freeing both of them - the now mortal virgin to go and have a nice life and the demon to be reborn into a more suitable host.

Which leaves the possibility that Thomas isn't really 'suitable' as he managed to fall in love- just not early enough to 'save' him. It might be worth remembering  all the other male decendants of his father didn't live that long because Daddy prefers his little girls...
I would HATE to be a character in one of the stories I write -
and then there are the days when it looks too much like I AM!