Author Topic: Socially Awkward Players  (Read 1853 times)

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Socially Awkward Players
« on: March 29, 2011, 10:59:34 PM »
So what do you do?

Players who
Are too shy
Talk too much
Talk over people
Not paying attention
ect

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Socially Awkward Players
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 11:21:19 PM »
So what do you do?
Subtle, and occasionally unsubtle, coaching.
Players who
Are too shy
Ask specific questions.
Talk too much
Talk over people
Insist on a minimal level of courtesy...and enforce it equally.
Not paying attention
Depends - do you know why they're not paying attention?  Address the root cause if it pertains to the game.  Otherwise, see courtesy above...
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 11:24:06 PM »
Have a token that you pass as people take their turn.  A speaking stick as it were.  This helps both the shy players and inhibits the talkers and those who can't wait their turn.

Talking over someone when it is their turn is just impolite, and while games can get exciting, if it gets to be a problem to the extent that you need to post to ask for solutions, then inhibit it all with the speaking stick.

People who don't pay attention?  Draw them aside after the game session and ask them if they are feeling well.  If they are?  Next session, if they don't pay attention, keep going, and don't repeat for that individual.  They will keep up!  

It is part of the sad but true of GMing:  If you have an hour and six players, each player only gets ten minutes.  
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 11:40:09 PM »
I had to work out a system with one of my younger, very enthusiastic players blurting out suddenly; he'd be very apologetic afterwards, but the mood and flow would still be just as dead.  System was "first outburst, free.  Every one after that costs a fate point."  Pavlov would be proud.  :)
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 11:42:20 PM »
For awhile, I kept a villain Fate Point pool. Whenever a player was sidetracking the game with a story or some other interruption, I quietly added a Fate Point to it. But only when I was actually waiting on them. If I was looking something up, that time was fair game for nonsense. But I picked up that token when I was done, and waited for order to come.

But I was fair about it, and whenever *I* sidetracked the game, I put a Fate Point token *back.*

I think that lasted for a few months, but it fell away after awhile as people were maintaining a better focus on the game.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 11:49:47 PM »
This isnt about anything in particular, just watching stuff on youtube about HORROR stories of RPGs.
I like my wacky group of Army vets, Super Villains and Nerds

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 12:04:45 AM »
Are too shy
Agreed with above, a "speaking token" isn't a bad idea.  Throw them stronger plot hooks, center an adventure around their character, etc.

Talk too much
Take them aside and ask them to pull it back a bit, or else speaking token.

Talk over people
Emphasize turn-based, use token if necessary.

Not paying attention
RULER Remind them politely, or focus an adventure where they're crucial/important.

Offline Imp

• Conversationalist
  • Global Thermonuclear War
    • View Profile
    • Imp's Corner
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 02:12:59 AM »
we have a huge sidetrack problem in my group.   the core group of us are long time friends and have been gaming since we were 16, now the issue is, with children and work we can only game once a month and alot of the time it's the only time we can get together at all so the rants and talk build up.

one way to solve this is we get together and have "social time" an hour or so before gaming when we order food is the time to get everything out of our systems.  When one of us goes off topic durning game it is up to the group to let them know.
Imp's Corner

Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream-Lewis Carroll

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 02:25:45 AM »
My group plays for like 9 hours straight, I wish we would take like a 30 minute "lunch"/stretch break. I think it would cut down on the side talk, and also give us time to eat and get out stuff together.