Author Topic: Damsel In Distress  (Read 2414 times)

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
Damsel In Distress
« on: March 27, 2011, 03:48:23 PM »
I'm working on a plot which involves a young girl being pursued by a cult (think the movie Eighteenth Angel). I'm made her Trouble as Pursued By Cult but I cannot come up with a good High Concept. I don't want to just use "Damsel in Distress".

Any ideas?
"If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, it's research." - Wilson Mizner

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
Re: Damsel In Distress
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 03:54:45 PM »
How about "Pure Mortal Damsel"? It's probably enough for a plot device. Don't over think it if it is just an NPC. It's very likely that nobody else but yourself (GM) will get aware of the exact notation of the aspect.

Think about what defines the character apart from the obvious role in the plot. Make that part of the high concept.
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 04:05:12 PM »
What about the girl is unique enough to make the cult want her and no one else?  That may make for a good high concept...
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Realities PBW restart
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 06:20:54 PM »
"Some one thinks I'm very special." has interesting potential for tapping.
I would HATE to be a character in one of the stories I write -
and then there are the days when it looks too much like I AM!

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 08:45:46 PM »
Virginal pincess of the Eskimos
Bad typists untie!!!!

Offline Marganma

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 08:50:43 PM »
"Just another teenage girl" could work. Or "Virgin Girl" (if she is). "Sacrifice-to-be" or "Potential Sacrifice" or even "Not your typical helpless sacrifice".
>>>Building site. Soon there we be a signature. We apologize for any inconvenience due to noises and lights.<<<

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
If, at some point, she's going to help the heroes, then you might go with "Survivor Girl".  Basically, the heroine of a slasher flick who survives against all odds.  At the start she's just a pretty girl, maybe a bit special, but she's driven to find something special in herself that will allow her to survive.

And yes, I'm borrowing the phrase from Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon - a movie about a journalism student doing a documentary on Leslie Vernon.  Vernon is in training to become a serial killer and takes the camera crew behind the scenes as he prepares for his first murder spree.  A dark yet funny movie.

Richard

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 10:19:27 PM »

I like the "Not your typical helpless sacrifice" idea. She's intended to host the Big Bad but that's part of what the players are having to figure out. I intend to play it off that she is just supposed to be sacrificed while leaving clues to the bigger threat she might represent.

She will be an NPC so, fortunately, there won't have to be a lot of backstory put into her creation.

Thanks for the suggestions. Some may get used as her other Aspects

"Just another teenage girl" could work. Or "Virgin Girl" (if she is). "Sacrifice-to-be" or "Potential Sacrifice" or even "Not your typical helpless sacrifice".
"If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, it's research." - Wilson Mizner

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 07:43:09 PM »
Alright... could use some help on Skills to give her. I mean, what skills would a typical 13 yr old have? I thought "I'll look at IVY" not even thinking that with her abilities, she pretty much has ANY skill she needs at her disposal.

Since she is not going to be an active character, she doesn't really need to have a power level, does she? If I'm running a "Chest Deep" campaign, she could be done as "Up to Waist" or "Feet in Water" level?

I am still new to the system so I am experimenting with things.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 07:51:40 PM »
I would say give her a few Social and Physical skills at +2, and maybe one critical skill at +3 - these would depend on her character: Is she athletic? Smart? Feisty? Manipulative? Sweet? Tough? Resourceful? Then you can assume everything else is +0 or +1.

And, as she takes on more importance in the game, you can fill in the blanks, promote some of her skills, or even make her closer to the PCs in power level.

But don't feel obligated to give her a full character sheet. She is an important NPC, but not a major opponent. You can still handwave her capabilities as you wish.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 07:59:54 PM »
Remember that +3, even +2, is in the range of a 'professional' degree of competence in that skill, and assign such numbers accordingly
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 08:06:08 PM »
Remember that +3, even +2, is in the range of a 'professional' degree of competence in that skill, and assign such numbers accordingly

It's true! That +3 would need to be something pretty special, so you may want to just rein back her one apex skill to +2, or give her a handful of +1 skills.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets