Author Topic: Stunts question 234561  (Read 2279 times)

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Stunts question 234561
« on: March 27, 2011, 03:46:18 PM »
What is the consensus on using stunts to get 2 skills for the price of one?
Example
Character has scholarship great 4
But a stunt to let it also act as Lore great 4
 or
survival 5 and stunt for guns 5 but only with a specific type of weapon (Rifles)
I am not  a fan but am looking for alternate interpretaions
Bad typists untie!!!!

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Stunts question 234561
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 04:09:18 PM »
It's done, at least situationally, in the book.  As long as you keep it situational particularly if messing with combat related skills, I think you're ok.  If you make one skill the 'uberskill to rule them all' you've probably gone too far.  There's a lot of gray in between for individual groups to decide...  :)
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Gatts

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 05:29:44 PM »
A stunt can't replace a skill, or have one skill cover another skill, that's against the fairly clear rules in the Stunts section of the book. Trappings? Sure.

For instance, you can move 'dodging' from Atheletics to Fists with a stunt, but you cannot make Athletics cover Fists. Additionally, the game will often become unbalanced if you really start narrowing down all of the combat trappings to one skill, or remove the need for three different skills for magic.

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 04:37:31 AM »
Thankfully, there are generally enough trappings of a skill that it would take more refresh than it's really worth to replace a skill completely with another.  It's almost possible with the combat skills, but paying points so that you can say "I hit him" with a different skill doesn't change things that much.

You could, for example take fists 5, and then take the following stunts:
Dodge with fists (replace dodge trapping of acrobatics)
Armed Arts (you can use fists to attack with 3 different types of weapons)

But you lose out on the abilities from athletics: climbing, running, jumping, and breaking falls
And from weapons you lose the ability to throw things (like knives, spears, and hand grenades)

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 05:54:12 AM »
Thankfully, there are generally enough trappings of a skill that it would take more refresh than it's really worth to replace a skill completely with another.  It's almost possible with the combat skills, but paying points so that you can say "I hit him" with a different skill doesn't change things that much.

You could, for example take fists 5, and then take the following stunts:
Dodge with fists (replace dodge trapping of acrobatics)
Armed Arts (you can use fists to attack with 3 different types of weapons)

But you lose out on the abilities from athletics: climbing, running, jumping, and breaking falls
And from weapons you lose the ability to throw things (like knives, spears, and hand grenades)

Indeed.

I think a lot of it boils down to common sense.

There's a lot of give and take.  If someone can dodge using fists, (I think) it doesn't apply to ranged attacks, AND if the character's athletics is weak, he/she still cannot climb over things well or change zones very well.

I would have no problem allowing these kind of stunts as long as they're not overpowered (like... Fists = Athletics), because using up a point of refresh really evens things out.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 06:10:02 AM »
The fist to the dodging trapping of athletics (footwork) is an actual stunt in the 'Your story' it entire purpose is that you can dodge ranged attack with fists I don' think this is broken because fist dodging just makes me think martial arts. 
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 06:37:14 AM »
The fist to the dodging trapping of athletics (footwork) is an actual stunt in the 'Your story' it entire purpose is that you can dodge ranged attack with fists I don' think this is broken because fist dodging just makes me think martial arts. 

Meh - to me, it makes a lot more sense to dodge ranged attacks with weapons or guns... but I would still allow the stunt.

A lot of it (for me) would depend on whether the character is supernatural or not.  I'd ok stronger "mortal" stunts for a supernatural character.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 07:15:57 AM »
I like all the defense replacement stunts it keeps every combatant from also being an olympic class sprinter.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 08:54:24 AM »
I like all the defense replacement stunts it keeps every combatant from also being an olympic class sprinter.

There's definitely truth to this.

I especially like stunts people take that allow them to dodge gunfire using guns... because that makes /sense/ lol.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 09:01:44 AM »
It depends on your definition of 'dodge', really.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 09:31:02 AM »
It depends on your definition of 'dodge', really.

I will run it as a character with a high guns skill and a stun to use guns to avoid gunfire knows when to get in the prone, how to take cover, and what will actually stop a bullet and is safe to hide behind.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 02:42:25 PM »
I will run it as a character with a high guns skill and a stun to use guns to avoid gunfire knows when to get in the prone, how to take cover, and what will actually stop a bullet and is safe to hide behind.

There's that, and then I also run it as constant suppressing fire on foes who would try to target the gunman.

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 04:14:55 PM »
That's more of a Block on their Attack action.