Author Topic: Sponsored Magic (Hephaestus)  (Read 1605 times)

Offline brolthemighty

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Sponsored Magic (Hephaestus)
« on: March 26, 2011, 01:43:09 AM »
Alright, so I've trolled the boards a good bit, and had come across the thread on Sponsored Magic ideas.  One of them really struck me.  Hephaestus.

In many of the RPG's I've played, I've enjoyed the aspect of crafting.  Between making custom gear for myself, and custom gear for the group, it just added that extra layer of cool for me.  Enter Dresden RPG.  Now, the crafting in Dresden is good.  I don't mind havin item limitations in regards to how many and such, although I'd definitely be looking to get more slots.  So, here's the idea that I had...and then the plea for help.

Idea:
To me, there are two things that are iconic to the Wardens.  The grey-cloak, and the Sword.  
(click to show/hide)
, the Swords are no longer being made.  So I've got an idea of a character who wants to fill that gap.  Being an exceptional Artificer already, he's checking out all the Old Lore he can.  This is where big Heph comes in.  He's willing to take on Sponsored Magic (whether it's through the template sponsored magic, or emissary of power) for Heph.  What I need, are ideas for what that entails.  The benefits, and the responsibilites.  

I was thinking of having the initial connection be made through an ancient forge that was found....but then the deal is struck.  What do you think?  What help can you give?  As I flesh out my idea, I'll post it up here in the OP, as well as things are brainstormed in thread.

Fluff: All of the other Gods of his Old Pantheon either faded, killed, or whose domains have been taken over by newer Powers, Hephaestus stands alone.  Not quite forgotten...but not worshiped for his artifice and power as he once was.  He came back from exile once, he'll do so again.  He just needs someone to bring him back into power.
Elements: Fire, Volcano(lava,) Metal
Standard Benefits:
Bonus Power:
Cost:

Idea 1: Benefit based on Heph being a God of Fire and Volcanoes.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 06:40:29 AM by brolthemighty »

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Sponsored Magic (Hephaestus)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 01:59:34 AM »
Conveniently enough, it seems Hephy was the god of Fire and Volcanoes, which really helps to pin down the Channeling effects available through his Sponsorship.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline brolthemighty

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 02:38:45 AM »
Ooooh!  I like that :D Added

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 02:56:09 AM »
+2 what?
power? control? both?
if it's both, that's probably a bit much
if it's just one, that's probably fine

however, I don't think that opening up the whole of earth channeling is appropriate, here
volcanoes don't have much to do with gravity, for instance, or most electricity effects (lightning might play a relatively small part in an area-of-effect volcano-themed spell that creates a churning cloud of super-heated dust and smoke), magnetism, or 'reinforcing ordered structures'
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline brolthemighty

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 03:07:02 AM »
This is true.  I'm thinking +2 to power, since I can't see channeling a volcano as adding....control, lol.  More like RAW NATURAL POWER! 

I had forgotten about most of the rotes of earth magic.  I was thinking in the simplest of terms.  If you say, go to use say, FUEGO (well, your own flavor of such a spell) then instead of just a gout of flame, it would be molten lava.  However, taking your example, I think a themed Earth magic would work best.  Afterall, blacksmithing is a metal based art....and metal comes from the Earth.  So have it be along those lines. 

This is exactly why I came to the interwebs for help :D

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 03:15:52 AM »
well, he is also the god of Fire, so the complete range of fire channeling effects are probably reasonable even without earth 'flavouring'
gouts of conventional fire would be just fine
gouts of lava, on the other hand, would probably have it sticking to the target, dealing further damage on subsequent rounds
Slough

Offline brolthemighty

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 03:35:11 AM »
So...maybe if you want the lava aspect instead of fire, price it at -2 refresh?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 03:45:49 AM »
huh?

I was just thinking that you give it 'fire (as the element) and volcano-themed effects' for Channeling, and Crafting, fire, and volcano-themed effects for Ritual

do you remember the spell Harry pulled off near the end of Grave Peril?  The one that cocooned a RCV in flame, burnt it to a crisp, then kept burning?
that kind of thing would just be REALLY easy to justify when you're throwing around streams of liquid stone (whereas with regular fire, it would presumably have been quite a challenge)
Slough

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 06:42:31 AM »
Hephaestus was the only one on Mt. Olympus who wasn't 'perfect' - he had a bum leg.  Not that he was born that way but one day Daddy was hurting Mommy over something and Hephaestus tried to intervene.

Daddy (a.k.a. Zeus) responded by tossing Hephaestus off Mt. Olympus, shattering the god's leg so it healed crippled.  After that, Hephaestus was the most loyal of Zeus' children - it was Hephaestus who forged the lightening bolts that Zeus tossed around.

To me, this story defines that god's mindset.

Richard

Offline brolthemighty

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 08:28:49 AM »
That was only AFTER he returned to Olympus however.  However, I believe that we could write that in somehow as part of his agenda.  Something like intervening between the powerful and the weak.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 01:06:34 PM »
Elements: Fire/Earth channeling, Crafting ritual
Standard Benefits: Conjuration and Transformation/Disruption at the speed of evocation, sponsor debt.
Bonus: +1 power for fire/earth evocation, +1 power for enchanted items. Refinements for crafting can be taken normally.
Cost: -4 refresh, wielder's craftmanship must be at least +4.