Author Topic: Grenade Punch  (Read 9397 times)

Offline Gatts

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Grenade Punch
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2011, 02:25:16 PM »
The side holding the grenade is stronger so the force generated is forced in the other direction. This is sound physics and is the reason shaped charges work.

Keep in mind I specified that the character in question would need to have massive strength as well as toughness for this to work.

Grenades are fragmented, and inflict damage mainly based on the chunks of metal fired in all directions. These chunks of metals would have to richochet from his hand in the direction of his enemy. I can hardly see how this would diminish the damage done.

My main problem with this, is that it basically sets a precedent of 'immune to grenades', it will hardly make sense if he doesn't get scratched by this grenade but one lobbed in his direction later gives him a minor or moderate consequence, and yet that is perfectly possible. From a reasonable, and dramatic, point of view he should take more damage from this than he would take from one thrown at him.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2011, 03:46:25 PM »
The side holding the grenade is stronger so the force generated is forced in the other direction. This is sound physics and is the reason shaped charges work.

Keep in mind I specified that the character in question would need to have massive strength as well as toughness for this to work.

The material used to shape the explosion of a 'shaped charge' rarely survives such an explosion in better condition than if that same quantity had exploded without such measures a few meters off to the side.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2011, 03:56:17 PM »
The consensus seems to be that the Grenade Punch Maneuver could work on its target, given an attacker with the right blend of strength and toughness.

The main question now is whether or not (and how how much) the Grenade Punch would do to the attacker.

The physics/logic, though contested, seems to indicate this should seriously harm the attacker.
The preservation of game balance seems to indicate this should do as much (or more) damage to the attacker than an ordinary target of a grenade.
Issues of potentially bad precedent seem to suggest that this should seriously harm the attacker, or provide some other disincentive.

But Dresden has room for a little sketchiness in its physics. And the Toughness powers we are talking about are basically a form of Plot Armor. In the end, this may just have to fall out according to the spirit of the table.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2011, 06:06:53 PM »
I would have made him treat it as an ambush; he could roll defense, but his appropriate skill would be treated as a +0.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2011, 06:09:44 PM »
He obviously rolls endurance, not athletics, for defense provided he has some sort of toughness powers.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2011, 07:47:30 PM »
But what's the 'Effort' of an attack generated by intentionally HOLDING the explosive as it detonates?
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Gatts

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2011, 07:52:59 PM »
But what's the 'Effort' of an attack generated by intentionally HOLDING the explosive as it detonates?

Honestly? I'd seriously consider 'default to Fantastic'. It's about as accurate as a hit can be, since his hand is pressed against it.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2011, 07:55:31 PM »
I don't know about that.  I'd consider a headshot to be 'about as accurate as a hit can be', and there's a lot of room between there and a hand (one of the four LEAST critical points on the body from a survivability standpoint)
Slough

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2011, 07:57:18 PM »
Honestly? I'd seriously consider 'default to Fantastic'. It's about as accurate as a hit can be, since his hand is pressed against it.

Well I personally think the most accurate a hit could possibly be would be the grenade exploding at eye level right in front of his face though you may consider that legendary accuracy.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Gatts

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2011, 08:37:34 PM »
You have to remember that Harry's hand being burned was an Extreme Consequence. There are no hit locations in this game, just severity.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2011, 08:43:49 PM »
There are no hit locations for stress.  But there CAN be for consequences.  There's just no hard rules enforcing them.  Harry's hand getting burned was a perfect example of their implementation, in fact.
Slough

Offline Gatts

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2011, 08:53:30 PM »
There are no hit locations for stress.  But there CAN be for consequences.  There's just no hard rules enforcing them.  Harry's hand getting burned was a perfect example of their implementation, in fact.

My point is that you can clearly have enough damage to take an Extreme Consequence just from damage on the hand, the system doesn't treat extremies as negligible. The damage should be pretty much the same.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2011, 09:27:53 PM »
A 0 means that you have hit the target so you could argue that hitting the hand would count as a plus 0, the difference between the attack roll and the defence roll shows how well you have hit which could mean where you hit (body location), you can argue that stress does not have location but the closest of near misses to the head or throat would be more stressful than a the closest of near misses to a hand. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 09:29:43 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Gatts

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2011, 09:33:01 PM »
A 0 means that you have hit the target so you could argue that hitting the hand would count as a plus 0, the difference between the attack roll and the defence roll shows how well you have hit which could mean where you hit (body location), you can argue that stress does not have location but the closest of near misses to the head or throat would be more stressful than a the closest of near misses to a hand. 

Damage to the head is worse than damage to the hand usually anyway, even as the same severity level consequence. A Moderate or Severe consequence would leave him one handed for a while, but he'll manage and it certainly wouldn't finish him off.

Offline Aludra

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2011, 09:39:16 PM »
I'm a serious newbie to the DFRPG stuff, but I still have 2c to throw in here:

If I imagine a dude punching someone with a grenade in his fist that has mythic toughness, I would imagine that if he has his fist around it, his hand would be protecting most of the area from the damage.  I wouldn't expect anyone standing more than 6 yards away to be impacted.  The guy holding the grenade ought to at least lose vision for a number of seconds, and his hand should sting, too.  Obviously the guy unfortunate enough to be facing off against someone with mythic toughness and the ingenuity to punch someone with a grenade would be totally toasted.

I knew him when he was just an IBM
John Scalzi, Android's Dream

DV Aludra v1.2 YR2 FR1.5 BK+ RP JB TH(!TH) ?WG ?CL SW+ BC- MC---- SH[Murphy-, Molly--, Lara+]