Author Topic: Refresh level of the Powers  (Read 3076 times)

Offline kihon

• Participant
    • View Profile
Refresh level of the Powers
« on: March 25, 2011, 05:37:05 PM »
In the books so far we have Valkyries and Odin.  Now I have to assume (but correct me if I'm wrong) that a Valkyrie should be about equal in Refresh to a senior council member.  Odin should be very much beyond any mortal refresh, so what might that look like?  I know - Plot Level Device.  I was just wondering what you all might be thinking though -- and his powers would be beyond what is listed.  Thoughts?

So we have the Norse Myths represented in the books - what about the Greek or Egyptian myths?  Finally - if the "gods" have a refresh equal to Odin's level (roughly) - what would the elder gods (Titans) look like, refresh wise?

I'm thinking about starting a campaign where there is an on-going thread of a necromancer that keeps trying to free a Titan in order to cause the destruction of the world - or at least a lot of people dead (which he could then control).

Any thoughts would be great.  Thanks in advance.

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Refresh level of the Powers
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 06:04:41 PM »
Now I have to assume (but correct me if I'm wrong) that a Valkyrie should be about equal in Refresh to a senior council member.

Not necessarily.  The only Valkyrie we've met thus far has capabilities roughly equivalent to Harry's (see Herot, where the two are on roughly equal footing).  Changes Spoiler:
(click to show/hide)

Odin should be very much beyond any mortal refresh, so what might that look like?
There's really no way to tell, we haven't seen a god throw down with a worthy opponent.  The stats in OW are pretty much pure speculation, and since Odin is a plot device anyway you should just give him whatever powers you deem necessary and thematic.

Finally - if the "gods" have a refresh equal to Odin's level (roughly) - what would the elder gods (Titans) look like, refresh wise?
Well, there's no real way to know.  If DF gods rely on mortal worship for some or all of their power the Titans would probably be in even worse shape than the gods that overthrew them. 
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline Larin

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 06:34:53 AM »
The titans could even be outsiders, locked out by the gods, if that suited your game.

Offline Nyarlathotep5150

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 07:18:19 AM »
So we have the Norse Myths represented in the books - what about the Greek or Egyptian myths?

The greek gods are represented. (Welcome to the jungle and Dead Beat spoilers):
(click to show/hide)
    And of course the Celtic myths are represented (in the faerie), but one has to wonder what happened to all the greater deities.
    I've always suspected that the reason the other pantheons don't feature more prominently is that Dresden (and probably Butcher through Dresden) willingly admits that his expertise leans heavily toward western European folklore. Hence, we see a lot of Faeries, Norse monster, and Arthurian references, and fewer Greek, Hindu, Mesopotamian, etc. 

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 08:56:31 AM »
Gilgamesh is about and the hints point to him being the deity of the ghouls.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline sandchigger

• Conversationalist
  • His Holiness, the Chigg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 03:35:37 PM »
I don't doubt ya, W&M, but I'm rereading the series and so far (I just began Small Favors) I haven't seen mention of this. Did I just miss a literary reference or am I not yet there?
I may well be silly, but I am never moronic.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 04:37:13 PM »
To be honest it is just a hint the home language of the ghouls is ancient Sumerian then nation which gilgamesh was meant to be king off also thier is the fact that ghouls share some similarity to enkidou from the epic of gilgmesh which also points in that direction.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 04:54:31 PM »
There is a Ghoul in Baltimore who calls himself Gilgamesh, I think...
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 09:07:21 PM »
At one point Harry says that the old gods are sleeping...

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 10:59:18 PM »
Why would valkyries be at Senior Council level?

Offline Nyarlathotep5150

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 09:08:59 AM »
Why would valkyries be at Senior Council level?

Valkyries, as the legends portray them should be about that powerful. but Dresden Valkyries don't really work that way. The stories, most heavily "Aftermath"
(click to show/hide)
    So, its all a matter of how you portray them. If you're saying they are Demigods of war, then they'd all be at least senior council level... But I wouldn't portray them that way.

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 03:32:40 PM »
Gard at least has a little more than just Sponsored Magic, we know she survived disembowelment more than once.  Someone who's read Herot more recently than I have would know if she's exhibited superhuman levels of strength or speed. 
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline Nyarlathotep5150

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 04:13:27 PM »
    Nothing specific (except for going head to head with a "troll"). But all the same, she's an emissary of Power to Odin, so she has whatever powers he's willing to give her. She's also over a thousand years old, thats a lot of time to build power. but the way they are portrayed in the books, Valkyries aren't much different from faerie knights, and that puts them in the same power range as PCs. 

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 08:45:54 PM »
that puts them in the same power range as PCs. 

ie. Anywhere between 'Chest Deep' and 'Scuba Diving'
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 03:30:56 AM »
We know, from Herot, that Gard is at least close to Harry's league.  Refresh wise she might be a few points above or below him, and it's quite possible she has more skill points to throw around given that she's centuries old.