Author Topic: Ghost- PC?  (Read 4530 times)

Offline kertain

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost- PC?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 07:58:56 PM »
Thanks guys!
Good ideas.

I was a little concerns on how to build him but that has been covered as well.
I like the idea of a disconnected spirit and will present that to the PC as well.

Keep up the ideas/suggestions if you have any :)

(click to show/hide)

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 08:40:57 PM »
I like the idea of a disconnected spirit and will present that to the PC as well.

I think having his body in a coma also gives the Player something to worry about.  If anything happens to the body then what happens to the spirit?  Perhaps that could be his Trouble.
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 06:33:18 AM »
Pardon me, the WWII Soviet Front is one of my favorite history subjects so I'm going to take this on a minor tangent and go history geek for a moment.  I know that women served in combat in the Soviet Army during WWII but I didn't know there were women submariners as well.  I'm curious if the player had any scholarship to back the concept up or if it's something they just made up.  The book that was in sounds like a fun read.  :-)

no, we made that up, not basing it on any historic facts. if it ever becomes necessary to be fleshed out she could have been rescued from a sinking civilian vessel or something like that. (i can think of a lot of ways to end up on a military submarine.)

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Realities PBW restart
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 07:07:04 AM »
My husbands greatgrandfather was 'rescued' during the early part of the second world war by a submarine after his ship was sunk by it. As the chief engineer on the ship he got to eat in the captains cabin and it was all very civilised. They were all dropped off in Spain and the British consulate arranged for them all to go home. We have an account written by him that appeared in the local paper about his experiences and how well he was treated as a prisoner.
By the end of the war all that had changed - U-boats no longer rescued survivors and he went down with the ship after returning to the engine room to try and get his men out.

lots of strange things ended up on submarines - like the reindeer
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1880

back on topic - I have PC's ghosts wandering around Hangover city, but I also have a local 'reason' for that to happen which is part of the secret history of Liverpool. I'd say go for it and come up with a good justification as to why your guy is 'breaking the canon'
I would HATE to be a character in one of the stories I write -
and then there are the days when it looks too much like I AM!

Offline wednesdayboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 02:40:23 PM »
I think a ghost PC is a brilliant idea.  It's a character that I wanted to do for our game but it got nixed because of the disparities with ghosts in the books.  I'm biased because I've never read the books so I don't have a strong tie to the canon but to me in a world with magic and the supernatural practically any rationalization of why the character is a ghost is legitimate.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 07:35:35 PM »
Just a note on women on Soviet subs:

The USSR used subs to evacuate women and children from Sevastapol when it was under seize during WWII.  Maybe in a non-historical setting the crew decided to keep one of them on board as a cook? Of course, this only helps if the sub in question was based in the Black Sea / Med area.  If it was in the Baltic Sea, or associated with the Murmansk runs, or in the Pacific, then she would need another excuse to be there.

Richard

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 07:54:50 PM »
I think a ghost PC is a brilliant idea.  It's a character that I wanted to do for our game but it got nixed because of the disparities with ghosts in the books.  I'm biased because I've never read the books so I don't have a strong tie to the canon but to me in a world with magic and the supernatural practically any rationalization of why the character is a ghost is legitimate.

Really the concept of "canon" has always bugged me especially with dresden. Books can't cover the entirety of a world and with this series we are even more limited by it being Harry Dresden's perception of a world. To bring up an example (since I'm re-reading the series again) Harry didn't think Victor Sells' heart exploding spell was possible until more than half way through the book. Just because we haven't seen something in the books, and to be more precise because Harry hasn't seen something, doesn't mean it's not possible or even likely.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 10:04:19 PM »
He also doesn't tell us everything...and makes that clear in some cases.  :)

Given the forthcoming book, and the chapter of it already published on the web, I find it extremely difficult not to call ghosts canon in any case.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 10:32:31 PM »
Given the forthcoming book, and the chapter of it already published on the web, I find it extremely difficult not to call ghosts canon in any case.

We are learning the way the universe works along with Dresden!

And really: do we need our heroes to be completely infallible and perfect?
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets