Author Topic: White Court NPCs and not being super akward  (Read 10811 times)

Offline sandchigger

• Conversationalist
  • His Holiness, the Chigg
    • View Profile
Re: White Court NPCs and not being super akward
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2011, 08:34:20 PM »
oooohhh.... I like this idea for Wrath vamps:)  I'm so going to steal this:)

I've had an idea floating around in the back of my head for a Wrath-feeding WCV for a while now. Not sure I'll ever get to use it, but if you can make use of them then please do! :)

Quote from: ways and means
Wrath vampires get serious use out of the stunt infuriate.

Ain't synergy grand? ;)
I may well be silly, but I am never moronic.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2011, 09:03:44 PM »
It's not merely a matter of 'pushing someone to die' in an expression of the emotion, but killing them by feeding during that expression.

Cool - so how should a GM narrate the various types of WCVirgins making their first kill?
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline sandchigger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2011, 09:08:36 PM »
Cool - so how should a GM narrate the various types of WCVirgins making their first kill?

Lust we've seen (sorta, in a non-graphic fashion) in the books. Fear and Despair were likewise covered.

I envision sloth vampires waking up full and brimming with energy among the bodies of their friends/victims who "just went off to sleep and never woke up". For Wrath vamps there's the aforementioned "got killin' mad but then got kilt'" thing. The movie Se7en showed us an example of a Gluttony vampire's victim
(click to show/hide)

What other fun and exciting WCv to WCV examples would ya like?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2011, 09:16:17 PM »
Sloth and Gluttony really aren't EMOTIONS.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline sandchigger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2011, 09:18:51 PM »
No, but they are sins which Jancarius mentioned wanting to base the WCV families in his game around. Really the only difficult one there that I can see is Pride. How does someone Proud themselves to death? The closest I can think of is "too proud to stop doing something bad for them" or possibly "too proud to ask for help".

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2011, 09:29:50 PM »
No, but they are sins which Jancarius mentioned wanting to base the WCV families in his game around. Really the only difficult one there that I can see is Pride. How does someone Proud themselves to death? The closest I can think of is "too proud to stop doing something bad for them" or possibly "too proud to ask for help".

Organ failure from lack of life energy.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2011, 09:44:16 PM »
Organ failure from lack of life energy.

Well, as was mentioned, it may be the "first kill" which brings a WCVirgin over into its full abilities, but it isn't the physical death that they really feed on. They just cause so much life energy loss that the victim's body dies, unable to support itself.

So there are two questions, and the answers, as I understand, are:

1) What does a WCV victim look like?

Answer: like any other WCV victim.

They prefer people who are displaying particular types of emotion, as they feed more effectively in those cases. They have learned to mask evidence of the predation by inspiring their victims to display behaviors symptomatic of an unrelated issue (suicide, in some cases), or fright (scaring them into displaying a frightened face before they die), but these are decoys, red herrings. Ultimately, they all die of life energy deficit.

2) How does a WCVirgin get its first "kill"?

Answer: like any other WCV victim.

Without knowing it, they drain the life energy from a suitable candidate. The candidate may have been a "prime target" owing to a particular House predilection towards a particular emotion, but ultimately that first death is simple energy drain.

So that means that, if a WCV never learned how to pass in mortal society, how to pick suitable candidates, or disguise their kills, there would just be a bunch of victims in its wake with no obvious source of death, most of which would be pigeonholed into "heart attack."
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 09:51:13 PM by devonapple »

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2011, 10:20:09 PM »
I kinda like the idea of a WCV that skips all the emotion and just rips the life out of someone, but it seems to me that the negative emotion is their means of feeding. That the emotion is somehow necessary to the process.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2011, 10:47:39 PM »
I kinda like the idea of a WCV that skips all the emotion and just rips the life out of someone...

Didn't Lord Raith claim to be able to do that?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 12:01:18 AM by devonapple »

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2011, 11:27:18 PM »
I don't recall that, but then...he also claimed to
(click to show/hide)
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2011, 02:35:31 AM »
You can always pull things back a bit on the detail - treating almost as a downtime scene.  Something like:
"Okay, that seduction happens and it was great sex.  Now what do you do?"

Richard

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2011, 02:44:56 AM »
The problem with that being that being seduced by a Raith is (vastly) more likely to result in something like:
"Okay, that seduction happens and it was great sex.  You have both mild and moderate mental consequences as a result of this scene appropriate to having been fed upon by an emotional vampire feeding on lust.  Here are some Fate Points.  Now what do you do?"

Some players might have a problem with that sort of thing.
Slough

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2011, 03:01:23 AM »
Some players might have a problem with that sort of thing.

That will certainly depend on the table. The players who want to "duke it out" in an encounter (rather than agreeing to a Concession that nets them some Fate Points and sidesteps some table awkwardness) are hopefully not the same players who would shy away from the type of encounter. But all things are possible.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2011, 03:03:48 AM »
That's the kind of thing that you can always do with a player in private. Take them aside before hand, tell them your intent and try to play out the scene. Then while you're playing with the rest of the group you do the "Okay, that seduction happens and it was great sex.  You have both mild and moderate mental consequences as a result of the scene that we played earlier.  Here are some Fate Points.  Now what do you do?"

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2011, 03:09:06 AM »
That will certainly depend on the table. The players who want to "duke it out" in an encounter (rather than agreeing to a Concession that nets them some Fate Points and sidesteps some table awkwardness) are hopefully not the same players who would shy away from the type of encounter. But all things are possible.

Oh, of course.  If the player(s) is(/are) fine with it, then go for it.

Just make sure that those consequences (and Fate Points) are part of the discussion before this scene goes forward to make sure that the player is fine both with the roleplaying consequences of the off-screen events and with their mechanical impact in the form of consequences.
Slough