Author Topic: Finite Catches  (Read 4879 times)

Offline Seb Wiers

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Finite Catches
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2011, 10:03:07 PM »
Most catches are technically finite.  There's a limited supply of iron in the world.  If it all got magically disintegrated, the fey wouldn't have much to worry about regarding their catch...

Also, direct relatives are actually a renewable resource- you could always have kids.  And be sure to watch out for that bastard brother you never knew about who got adopted away before you were born- didn't Harry find out he had one of those?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:08:11 PM by Seb Wiers »

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2011, 10:41:18 PM »
No catch is a finite catch as long as there are Lawbreakers around. Someone kills your entire family and somebody else wants to bypass your physical immunity and kill you? Chronomancy and Necromancy help. He is already going to commit 1st Law violation; it isn't as if the White Council can kill him twice.

Offline ryanshowseason2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2011, 03:28:01 PM »
Honestly some powers probly don't really need catches... Inhuman ones can be rivaled by equipment sometimes ie kevlar armor. I would let players get away with inhuman without catches. Or with them they should be rare enough that they almost never happen, like TC's familial catch, or even a catch that the player could conceivably destroy every instance of.

Supernatural is iffy. Its pretty potent stuff but it isn't in the realm of gamebreaking either. Catches here should be more or less like cold iron, plentiful in a certain respect and reasonably easy to obtain.

Mystic should definitely require a catch. It would be foolish not to. The catch doesn't have to be plentiful or even obvious but it should not be "depleteable" there should never be a way to get rid of it all. I've strayed towards catches that in essence require the catch's existance. IE how about for that familial catch have the toughness itself be powered by the existence of those family members in the first place.

I allowed a group of players who joked about current day fps games where you can magically revive fallen teamates. So I let them all have mystic recovery, but with the catch of proximity to each other so they had to be in the same zone.

As for immunity, you should know better.