Author Topic: What is the rule in using pop culture referances?  (Read 2026 times)

Offline RodimusGT

• Participant
    • View Profile
What is the rule in using pop culture referances?
« on: March 16, 2011, 01:12:40 PM »
I see JB do it every now and then in the DV, and I see it on certain TV shows as well, but what is the rule of that? To what degree can you make a referance to something that's not your own work and not get in trouble for it. For example:

"You are not human, you come from an Alien race known as the Primes."
"Ooooh okay, and can I transform into something? How would that work anyway? Would I have to break my bones and reorganize them?"

Now is using that considered all well and good? Or would that be a no no?

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: What is the rule in using pop culture referances?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 02:31:01 PM »
The problem with using references is that the reader has to get the reference. And if the reader doesn't get the reference, they need to be able to figure it out through context. For example, I did not get that reference. I figured out that it was from some modern sci-fi work, probably a movie. Try and weigh what reader reactions will be for those who get the reference and those who won't. Is the punch you get for using it worth it if it leaves half your readers floundering?

Another problem is that using up-to-the-minute pop culture could make your work dated very, very quickly. Like, before-it-gets-sent-out-on-submissions quickly. But older references age better, as a matter of course. (ex. Stargate Universe reference, bad idea. Star Wars reference, reasonable.)

But there's no legal restriction against homages or referencing another work as long as you don't blatantly rip it off, so if you still want to put it in, go ahead.  :) I'd just keep the first two points in mind.
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Offline RodimusGT

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 02:53:34 PM »
Thanks for the input!

The Transformers television series is what I was referring to ^^ Just incase you were wondering lol

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 03:38:41 PM »
Imo age and scope of the reference. Star Wars is huge and multigenerational. Damn near everyone has seen at least one Star Wars movie. Transformers isn't quite as big, there have been a few TV series, aimed at kids, and the 2 (soon to be 3) movies by Michael Bay; which while slightly big isn't nearly as big as something like Star Wars.
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline RodimusGT

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 03:43:51 PM »
I'm not actually using that quote in any of my works  ;)

I just thought it up to give an example of my question, but I do see what you're saying. Make sure its something that was a wide angle of understanding for all ages and not something that is only aimed towards one crowd. Thanks  ;D

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 05:39:26 PM »
I seem to remember asking Jim's editor about this last year, and she couldn't think of anything specific about it.  There were even some that she didn't catch.  I'm not certain, but I think that unless it goes past fair use, you're probably not going to have any trouble.  Aside from whether or not people catch it, that is.  I didn't get the Transformers reference; I was trying to figure out how it was connected to the Alien movies.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline RodimusGT

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 06:19:40 PM »
Well technically Transformers are Aliens  :P

I was referring to the guy being called a prime, where the character thought of the leader "Optimus Prime", who transforms into a truck.

Hehe, I'm not using this quote like I said before, but apparently I need to work on my sarcastic pop culture referance sentences  ;D

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 11:36:15 PM »
Was the capitalization of alien that threw me.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 04:02:28 PM »
I think the rule is pretty simple; assume someone does not get it, and ask whether the experience of them not getting it is going to be an annoying "I should be getting something here and I don't", or is going to be invisible.  If it's going to be invisible, you are doing fine. (Yes, this means sometimes readers don't spot every allusion you put in. This is better than irritating them.)
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.