Author Topic: Reflective shield  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Eldritch Donut

• Participant
    • View Profile
Reflective shield
« on: March 17, 2011, 11:27:12 PM »
I was hoping to work on a character who uses a spirit evocation shield block with a reflective feature like a ward - bouncing attacks back at the source.
My initial thought was to treat the reflective feature similarly to the other upgrades by adding a 2 shift cost to it. This way it's on par with expanding a block to cover a zone.

Does that sound right to you?

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Reflective shield
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 11:46:38 PM »
I'd suggest that if you ARE going to allow this sort of dual-purposed evocation, that you utilize the 'splitting' spray mechanic to do so.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 12:38:21 AM »
How would you reflect it? Would it be just the weapon rating? Would it be the attacker's attack roll? The value of the block? Would the attacker receive a defense roll?

Offline Eldritch Donut

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 01:40:55 AM »
My initial thinking was geared toward a spirit evocation which would act like a ward. The same 'rules' for wards would apply. They can be battered down by exceeding their value. When attacked but not penetrated, the ward reflects the attack at the same value back at the attacker. Just like with wards, the attacker would then have the chance to defend against the reflected attack.
Since the general rule seems to be that special features cost 2 shifts, It hought it would be a suitable place to start.

Another idea to achieve a similar result would be to attach the effect to an enchanted item would carry the ward, when activated it sets up an instant ward attached to the personal nature of the item (say a ring always worn by the character). While not as strong as the threshold concept, there's nothing to say a threshold is absolutely required.
The ward could be tied to the location where it was activated so that the player cannot move from the zone without the ward collapsing. The ward would then just do what wards do.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 02:27:05 AM »
Special features on the scale of 'warning systems' (alerting you when something attempts to breach the ward), or selectivity (allowing specified conditions to allow individuals to pass through the ward unaffected) cost 2 complexity.

'Landmines', which are more comparable to what you're attempting, add the full cost of their own effect.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline ryanshowseason2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 03:02:33 PM »
This might be a bit broken... So someone casts nukeball 8.0 at you and then it bounces off your shield like pong and automatically goes back at the attacker? You at least need some kind of roll to direct it back at the attacker, much like how you still have to "aim" rote spells and enchanted item attacks.

Also there should probly be some stipulations as to what kind of evocations can be reflected. If someone evocates a fireball sure, but what about an earthquake? A vine from summer magic? A burst of wind? A tornado? Needs some clarification there.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 03:19:41 PM »
I think Harry used something like this in one of the books to deflect a load of mob bullets back at them.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline ryanshowseason2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 03:23:51 PM »
I think Harry used something like this in one of the books to deflect a load of mob bullets back at them.

Now you're thinking with portals?

Now this would be a fun rote.