Author Topic: Sheen created a character concept that is full of win  (Read 4200 times)

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Sheen created a character concept that is full of win
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 12:28:03 AM »
If you're going for Jewish mages Kabbalah is a really neat....Belief structure? Religion? Something like that. Take a look at it.

Your best bet for Kabbalah magic is either the creation of golems or the path to transcendence by form mimicry they both are very dangerous forms of magic which in the Dresden files could very easily lead to law breaking and the powers that be will intervene to stop a mortal gaining transcendance.
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 01:35:43 AM »

One of my favorite of the shorts. Not for the story itself but for the conversation at the end between Harry and
(click to show/hide)
. All the "small things" that occur during the story that just seem not important and then the bigger picture is shown. It's something I intend to work into my campaigns and if the players catch on, I'll give them some kind of bonus.

Have you read Jim's short story, "Warrior?"
"If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, it's research." - Wilson Mizner

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 03:31:48 PM »

Your best bet for Kabbalah magic is either the creation of golems or the path to transcendence by form mimicry they both are very dangerous forms of magic which in the Dresden files could very easily lead to law breaking and the powers that be will intervene to stop a mortal gaining transcendance.

Uh... Tame Knight?  Where on earth did you get that impression that that's the "best bet" for Kabbalah?  Kabbalah is Jewish mysticism, nothing more, nothing less.  While, yes, one of the most famous actions of a Kabbalist was Rabbi Loew creating the golem of Prague to help defend the Jewish enclave against accusations of blood libels and other such events, mostly Kabbalah is much, much more subtle. 

For example, in Hebrew, every letter has a numeric equivalent; one method of Kabbalistic "spellcasting" is to take a word that has a certain additive numeric value and link or change it to another word with the same value. 

Also note that Kabbalah has little to no powers inherent to the practitioner himself; everything he does is done with him as the petitioner, and The White God and his agents carrying them out or approving them if it suits their purpose.  So Sponsored Magic would be a better system to work Kabbalah through in game terms, with a significant emphasis on Thaumaturgy. 

The only sort of "transcendence" achievable in Kabbalah is that of faith and belief--to understand the will of the Almighty, through the topmost Sephiroth of Keter and Chochmah. 
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki