Author Topic: This Might Interest People  (Read 1037 times)

Samael

This Might Interest People
« on: April 01, 2011, 12:53:13 AM »
So yeah the Dev take on thresholds is that they are glorified blocks/boarders in the end of the day, and that for a couple of refresh spent and a fate point to keep it from being the big red button for instastopping demons every time its fair and balanced.

Quote from: Samael
On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 7:46 PM, Samael <caddockwolf@yahoo.com> wrote:

In a game I am playing in, I had the idea of having a True Faith type character who has an Item of Power that lets him generate a Threshold into the zone the character is currently standing equal to his Conviction in for the cost of a fate point, for one exchange that can be extended further via supplemental action each round.

My GM is leary of this because their is simply nothing like it in the rules that could be compared to to ensure its balanced. How do you cost out the ability to generate a Threshold, their is the Bless This House Power, hydromancers can create thresholds against magic with a maneuver for fog/rain, and anyone can do a very fragile one with a magic circle, but how does that measure out in points?

With no real guides this is difficult to do, as there is nothing in the book that says just *how* thresholds are made. We are going in the dark quite blind.Here is a link to the item in question http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,19934.msg1058527.html#msg1058527

Help, please?

Quote from: Iago
Hey, I'll kick this to the crew and pray for someone having the bandwidth to answer. I'm still sick this week, so I'm in no great shape for it. :(

Fred

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:20 PM, Caddock Wolf <caddockwolf@yahoo.com> wrote:

Have you guys made any progress in deciphering the ancient and riddle filled ways of the thresholds?

Heya.

I asked Lenny for his take on it. Lenny said:

"At the end of the day, a Threshold is just a versatile block/border with supernatural English on it. For a fate point, I think that's totally doable, if only because the  fate point keeps it from being a go-to solution every time a demon's in the room."

Feel free to pass that along to forumfolk as appropriate. I couldn't easily find the context in that thread you linked to.

Fred

Relevance of the the thread I linked to was the power below, it was in the item of power in the thread post I sent you. I wanted to know if you considered it balanced.

[-3] Bastion of Faith –  Your very presence, backed by the force of your rock solid Faith, is anathema to Supernatural beings of malicious or ill intent. Effects; Shield of Faith. You may spend a Fate Point to create a threshold with a value equal to your Conviction within your current zone for one exchange. You may extend the duration by one more exchange by taking a supplemental action on your next turn. It only repels beings with malicious or ill intent, that are antithetical to Faith of the bearer.

Might be overpriced; you're essentially just enabling using Conviction to throw up an ad-hoc block action that affects a whole zone -- I'd probably price that at -2 at most. But the implementation seems sound.

Fred

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: This Might Interest People
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 12:58:48 AM »
Wonderful! Thank you for letting us know!
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Delmorian

• Posty McPostington
  • The Pants are BACK Baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 02:34:35 AM »
An example of this power in use would be the Blood inside the Key in the Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight, the first movie in the series. And in my opinion, the only one worth mentioning. The Key held the blood of the wielder, as well as a bit of blood from all the previous wielders, all the way back to the Crucifixion, where someone filled it up with the blood of Christ.
This movie is a Great Resource for Dresden files, if you can find it.
* Funny post quote that remains constantly relavant *

Samael

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 05:24:14 AM »
not really familiar with it so can't really say how accurate this power is to what the Blood does in that series...