Author Topic: Resources skill or stock concept  (Read 3208 times)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Resources skill or stock concept
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 11:40:15 PM »
As a variation of some of the ideas above, give the character a bonus aspect that is appropriate to the windfall and a few "Fate points" that are off-colored (green, perhaps).  The aspect can be invoked whenever throwing money at a problem might be useful (resource rolls to buy stuff, bribery attempts, etc), and the special tokens can be used in place of normal Fate when doing so.

Sort of like reverse Debt Points!
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »
Well, given that Debt points are sort of like reverse Fate points, yes.  :)

I think it would be more accurate to think of them as 'flavored' Fate points (that could only be used along with the attached aspect).

Note also that for *fabulously* large jackpots, the GM might want to not only attach more tokens to the aspect, but might also want to add several bonus aspects.  That way the player could use several tokens for a larger bonus on a single roll.

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 06:21:47 PM »
My character in our game has access to $3 million that was put in his name by some nasty people that are framing him for a murder. If he ever gets stupid enough to try to get the money, I guess this will become an issue for me. I wouldn't expect much in the way of rules changes though. I would think I'd have an aspect like "$3 million in magically marked bills" or something that could be invoked or compelled when those funds are important to the scene. But the biggest change would be that buying things would generally not be an issue that went to dice, since I had the cash. The focus would shift to things that were still meaty, like the consequences of buying the things I bought, or the complications of having that cash, etc.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 09:26:10 PM »
My character in our game has access to $3 million that was put in his name by some nasty people that are framing him for a murder. If he ever gets stupid enough to try to get the money, I guess this will become an issue for me. I wouldn't expect much in the way of rules changes though. I would think I'd have an aspect like "$3 million in magically marked bills" or something that could be invoked or compelled when those funds are important to the scene. But the biggest change would be that buying things would generally not be an issue that went to dice, since I had the cash. The focus would shift to things that were still meaty, like the consequences of buying the things I bought, or the complications of having that cash, etc.

If the frame is set up already, and the authorities have you under investigation, those assets may be frozen anyway, unavailable for access.

My own character has $300,000 hanging over *his* head for a bunch of disappearances (apparently he's not as valuable a liability! ::sniff::). I don't think either my GM or I ever expect me to access it - it's basically a Resources Declaration Aspect for the bad guys or the authorities to tag to pin my dude to a wall at the right opportunity.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 10:55:48 PM »
If the frame is set up already, and the authorities have you under investigation, those assets may be frozen anyway, unavailable for access.
No the warden is smarter than that. He's just waiting for me to go for the money.

My own character has $300,000 hanging over *his* head for a bunch of disappearances (apparently he's not as valuable a liability! ::sniff::). I don't think either my GM or I ever expect me to access it - it's basically a Resources Declaration Aspect for the bad guys or the authorities to tag to pin my dude to a wall at the right opportunity.

I'm relatively sure I can get to the funds if I try. And I may just do that too. But not until I've set a few dominoes falling...