Author Topic: Tag for Effect and Initiative  (Read 1365 times)

Offline LokiTM

• Participant
    • View Profile
Tag for Effect and Initiative
« on: March 12, 2011, 07:24:06 PM »
Is there any limitation on when in an exchange I can tag or invoke for effect (compel)?

Suppose I do a maneuver that places the sticky aspect <knocked down> on my opponent.
A few exchanges pass while we talk (social combat) and I stand over him.
Then, on his initiative, he decides to sprint for safety (without trying to remove the aspect).
Can I use the tag right then to invoke / compel the <knocked down> aspect?
This saves me from having to keep spending points to keep invoking it even if the opponent is not trying to act in opposition to the aspect.

In general can anyone invoke any aspect for effect at any time (whether by tag or spending a FP) as long as it makes sense within the fiction?

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Tag for Effect and Initiative
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 07:46:23 PM »
In general can anyone invoke any aspect for effect at any time (whether by tag or spending a FP) as long as it makes sense within the fiction?

This is the part that I would think was important. Add that the group is fine with it and I think you're good.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 12:44:28 AM »
You really shouldn't have to invoke it for effect in that particular scenario.  It should be compelled by the GM.
You'd be invoking it, rather, to gain the upper hand during that 'talk'.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 03:03:44 AM »
There's pretty much no clear cut rule, as far as I can tell, and you tagging it for effect when appropriate seems logically fine.

For instance, you shoot someone in the arm.  They get the aspect "shot in the arm" as a consequence.  They go to shoot you (same exchange, you've already gone).  Nothing keeps you from tagging the consequence right then to have them automatically miss (unless they spend a fate point).

I used a different example because, in yours, the guy with the "knocked down" tag on him shouldn't, system-wise, be able to just run off without removing the tag.  I mean, it's kind of an unopposed action to stand back up (athletics), so removing the tag is quite easy. 

So in game terms, he's removing the tag with an uncontested athletics roll (no real need to roll), and he's taking a move action as well (which would give him a -1 to the athletics roll, if it was really needed).  There's absolutely nothing that I can find preventing you from tagging that for an effect like him tripping as he tries to get up (unless he spends a fate point).

Actually, from most of the examples it seems you pretty well are fine to do this. I mean, any time you invoke your own aspect reflexively in defense, it's not your turn.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 05:26:23 PM »
I used a different example because, in yours, the guy with the "knocked down" tag on him shouldn't, system-wise, be able to just run off without removing the tag.  I mean, it's kind of an unopposed action to stand back up (athletics), so removing the tag is quite easy. 

So in game terms, he's removing the tag with an uncontested athletics roll (no real need to roll), and he's taking a move action as well (which would give him a -1 to the athletics roll, if it was really needed).  There's absolutely nothing that I can find preventing you from tagging that for an effect like him tripping as he tries to get up (unless he spends a fate point).

Actually it might not be unopposed. If someone wants to prevent them from getting up, they're free to do so (as long as they logically can) and then removing the aspect becomes a contest rather then a simple action with a good (+3) difficulty.

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 10:49:41 PM »
Actually it might not be unopposed. If someone wants to prevent them from getting up, they're free to do so (as long as they logically can) and then removing the aspect becomes a contest rather then a simple action with a good (+3) difficulty.

True.  If you just jump kicked the guy and applied "knocked down", then he tries to get up, nothing really keeps you from opposing it.  And as a GM, I don't really care if you invoke that tag to say that he slips and can't get up, or that you sweep his legs and he can't get up. However, this is where the initiative part of dresden gets tricky... because you'll have characters that try to oppose every action someone does to act more in one turn... so you really do need logical consistency here.

A simple action with a good difficulty?  Honestly, it's unopposed, and he's just standing up.  This is where the rules don't meet logic sometimes.  Depending on how you applied the aspect, I could see a roll to negate it.  On the other hand, a 400 lb person with no athletic training can successfully manage to stand up.